U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM

8,205 posts, read 22,794,207 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention from a recent thread that some of you are quite possibly house flippers. In one hand this changes the way that I view this forum, and in the other it helps explain the ongoing "I hate HGTV for..." theme. It also helps explain why some of the redesigns are "safe" and bland, although I do understand that for some this is what they want in their own homes and that there is nothing wrong with that.

If a good number of you are home flippers, then perhaps there could be a dedicated sub-forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,122,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In one hand this changes the way that I view this forum
In what way?

I think very very few of us are flippers.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:27 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,022,265 times
My DH and I remodel homes for a hobby. We get bored when we stay in one place too long. I don't really consider us house flippers although we do live in more houses than most others do. If someone is willing to pay us for our work then we will move on and we get to play again. Either way our tastes whether it's a home we "think" we will keep longer or not tends to be safe and bland. My DH also worries abut leaving me behind with a house that is unsellable so that is also a reason why we play it safe.

I think I would be bored to tears if I stayed in the same house with no change for more than a year, lol, and I know that isn't normal

Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,763,810 times
After spending a year turning this house into a home (kitchen and bathroom still need doing) I don't think we would have the energy to flip a house.
We bought this one knowing that every square inch would need help and that includes the roof and the garden but when its done it will be our home, I really don't think I could bring myself to sell it and move on again.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,101,956 times
Flipper, no.

Urban renewal and historic preservation, yes..... with code enforcement breathing down the back of our necks continually.

I started decades ago doing gut renovations on 50's style sfh's in locations within the best school district in my city.

By gut.......it was down to the studs. Everything rebuilt overcode. Priced for first-time buyers who were priced out of the market with new-builds and high interest rates.

All eligible for FHA and VA financing.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM

8,507 posts, read 11,412,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My DH and I remodel homes for a hobby. We get bored when we stay in one place too long. I don't really consider us house flippers although we do live in more houses than most others do. If someone is willing to pay us for our work then we will move on and we get to play again. Either way our tastes whether it's a home we "think" we will keep longer or not tends to be safe and bland. My DH also worries abut leaving me behind with a house that is unsellable so that is also a reason why we play it safe.

I think I would be bored to tears if I stayed in the same house with no change for more than a year, lol, and I know that isn't normal

That is what make this fun, I would shoot myself twice if I had to move and start all over again. and you relish the change. It has taken me a year and a half to get this place almost where I want it.
Take a bow for your energy and hard work.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 PM

33,085 posts, read 61,908,019 times
OP, what on earth are you taking about?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,575,275 times
I'm with younglisa...I would move every 2 years if my hubby was game, which he's not. (Although we have moved an average of every 3 years since we've been together 12 years so I guess we are close!) I also get bored and always need a project.

I would hardly call us flippers though. My task now is tougher since we ended up in a neighborhood we both love and never want to leave. It limits our house shopping considerably. Now we are thinking of tearing down the house we are in and rebuilding.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,012,959 times
I'm not sure why house flippers would hate HGTV more than people who buy intending to live in the home?

In any case, I'm definitely not a flipper and have never bought a home intending to do work and then sell. But I also recognize that even when I may not plan to sell, life can get in the way, so I try to take potential resale into consideration when I make decisions about my house. I would never pick something I didn't love myself just because I think it would be better for resale, but I do try to save my more idiosyncratic preferences for furniture, artwork, accessories, etc. Aside from keeping the fundamentals more neutral for possible resale, it also allows me more options to change things up if and when I want something different myself.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,022,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That is what make this fun, I would shoot myself twice if I had to move and start all over again. and you relish the change. It has taken me a year and a half to get this place almost where I want it.
Take a bow for your energy and hard work.
Thank you and it takes all of us to make up this world I hope you get to the end soon and enjoy your home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I'm with younglisa...I would move every 2 years if my hubby was game, which he's not. (Although we have moved an average of every 3 years since we've been together 12 years so I guess we are close!) I also get bored and always need a project.

I would hardly call us flippers though. My task now is tougher since we ended up in a neighborhood we both love and never want to leave. It limits our house shopping considerably. Now we are thinking of tearing down the house we are in and rebuilding.
Projects are great

If you are in Florida tearing down and rebuilding can be a hassle. More power to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure why house flippers would hate HGTV more than people who buy intending to live in the home?

In any case, I'm definitely not a flipper and have never bought a home intending to do work and then sell. But I also recognize that even when I may not plan to sell, life can get in the way, so I try to take potential resale into consideration when I make decisions about my house. I would never pick something I didn't love myself just because I think it would be better for resale, but I do try to save my more idiosyncratic preferences for furniture, artwork, accessories, etc. Aside from keeping the fundamentals more neutral for possible resale, it also allows me more options to change things up if and when I want something different myself.
Smart Too many people do crazy things with their houses that cannot be easily changed…and one never knows what life might throw at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating