Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM

8 posts, read 14,723 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move to a new place, and I want to decorate it very similar to what our family lake cabin used to look l like when I was growing up in the
80's. The problem is, I've tried for 10+ hours over the past few months trying to find stuff online that looks like what I'm familiar with, with no luck.
I've tried everything. So I'll post descriptions of the decorations and lighting, and maybe you can help me find out what names or styles these items are known as, or better yet, where I could actually find them for sale. I really would appreciate it, so thanks in advance.

Keep in mind that this was the during the 80's, so everything was made prior to AT LEAST 1983, most likely is 1964-1978 though, if I had to narrow it down.

Lighting - there were these pendant style, red lights that hung from the ceiling. They were a really deep, dark red color, and roundish or kinda egg-
shaped. I think to change the bulbs you had to take the glass off, so fully enclosed globe type fixtures. I think the chain and metal part of the fixture
(top) were a dark patina brass, or wrought iron-ish.

Bedding - There were these fairly thin, but very dense and heavy cottonish comforters on the beds. They were white, and had lots of bumps that were in patterns that covered the entire blanket.

Seating - There were bar stools made of black wrought iron in curly patterns, with red fabric on the seat and part of the back, in between colums of the wrought iron.

Also interested in old nautical themed clock/barometer combos, especially noisy ones that whirr. I know, I'm weird. But I have strong emotional attachments to these things and would like to recreate that in my own home. Feel free to ask questions if you need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,432,332 times
Not completely sure of your descriptions here but I would venture that the "wrought iron" would have a Mediterean style or some called it Spanish style going by the era you stated. The linen sounds like you are looking for Chenille, they are easy to find these days. As for the lites and bar stools, they shouldn't be to difficult to locate, or at least something similiar. The lites are making a comeback so look at specilty stores and then too check thrift shops. Lots of luck and have fun!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,108,358 times
You used to be able to buy those bedspreads at JC Penney. I am not sure if they still have them. I have also seen them in the Domestications catalog but again, I haven't looked recently. You can also try places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. They often have the chenille spreads too.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Well thank you both for the prompt help so far.

You hit the bullseye on the Chenille bedspreads, now that I know the name for it, I see that they are indeed available at stores like JC Penney.

Thanks also for the info on mediterranean or spanish bar stools, I'll search for that. And I found out from another place I posted this that the glass globe/pendant style/color is called "ruby glass". I've found some similar fixtures, but nothing completely enclosed like a globe, I'll keep looking though.

And forgive my ignorance regarding shopping matters, but is "specialty shop" referring to antique shops, or maybe interior design/decoration shops? or used furniture stores?

Thanks again, I've got some leads to work with now.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,263,896 times
Chenille would be my guess on the bedding also. I have twin beds in guestroom with 2 white chenille spreads. I got them at BB & B. They weren't cheap either!
The stools sound like cafe chairs, but stools.
I'm gonna do some checking around about the lighting & stools & get back to ya.

Nautical, don't know a thing. Sorry.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM
B4U

Well, I googled, "retro lighting fixtures", and "retro lighting pendents"
and the only thing that I see is this one site, scroll down 1/2 down the page, page 6, and see the small hanging red globe pendent? Is that something like you're looking for? No chain on the wire going down. If I'm totally off the make, please explain alittle better.

Art Deco Retro Pendants at LightingDirect ({click here)

Shop Art Deco / Retro Pendant Lighting Fixtures at LightingDirect.
www.lightingdirect.com/retro-pendant-lights/c2762

Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
B4U

(french bistro/cafe/retro, all of these are what to look under)

Are your cafe stools like this, but with a padded back between those inner rungs?

Model BR3210 Barstool Chair Upholstered Seat Stylish and durable, these barstool height chairs give your dining area an upscale look. Perfect for...
$149.99

If yes, this one is from: www.htmarket.com

But I'll keep looking, if you tell me they're close.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM

256 posts, read 1,387,612 times
Red pendent lights have been around through every era. The one you describe could be Victorian or Mid Century Modern. It's hard to say. But I constantly look through used lighting on Ebay and I always see red pendent lights from every era. I am sure you can find the light you are looking for on Ebay. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Well, I googled, "retro lighting fixtures", and "retro lighting pendents"
and the only thing that I see is this one site, scroll down 1/2 down the page, page 6, and see the small hanging red globe pendent? Is that something like you're looking for? No chain on the wire going down. If I'm totally off the make, please explain alittle better.

Art Deco Retro Pendants at LightingDirect ({click here)

Shop Art Deco / Retro Pendant Lighting Fixtures at LightingDirect.
www.lightingdirect.com/retro-pendant-lights/c2762
Thanks, but I don't see anything where you described that looks like what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
(french bistro/cafe/retro, all of these are what to look under)

Are your cafe stools like this, but with a padded back between those inner rungs?

Model BR3210 Barstool Chair Upholstered Seat Stylish and durable, these barstool height chairs give your dining area an upscale look. Perfect for...
$149.99

If yes, this one is from: www.htmarket.com

But I'll keep looking, if you tell me they're close.
I'll do a quick MS Paint shortly and upload it here to see a horrible sketch of the chairs. Those are kinda close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
Red pendent lights have been around through every era. The one you describe could be Victorian or Mid Century Modern. It's hard to say. But I constantly look through used lighting on Ebay and I always see red pendent lights from every era. I am sure you can find the light you are looking for on Ebay. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll do some searches using those keywords.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Ok here's a sketch of what the seat back looked like. The seat bottom was red fabric. The bar stools also swiveled, and had more wrought iron curls and such down on the base, if I remember right.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating