U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:56 PM

25,353 posts, read 16,315,758 times

Advertisements

So you're losing a bathroom? I know it is insane, but thenumber of baths is a significant factor in pricing a house. If you will only have one bathroom, I do think it will depress the price when time comes to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM

50,126 posts, read 39,825,299 times
My advice would be to sell the house and buy one that better fits your needs.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM

8,502 posts, read 11,408,093 times
Pretend if you can, that you are seeing your home for the first time. Would it look off to you? Again, hard to answer but to have a bedroom right off the kitchen, as I would imagine a dining room would be, does seem odd to me. The other thing is you are sacrificing a bedroom to make a bathroom for yourself presumable because you want and en suite bath, and now that now someone else is going to have walk to use the bathroom. See what I mean?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 PM

14,706 posts, read 21,722,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginva View Post
The reason for the question is because we are considering using one of our three bedrooms to create a small en-suite for the master bedroom, and using the current dining room as the third bedroom since it has a decent sized pantry that can be easily converted into a nice closet. This dining room turned bedroom is the space that would be on the other side of the house, away from the bathroom.
Hire an architect.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,618,032 times
Since it's a ranch, I would probably consider adding a master bath onto one of the bedrooms - preferably one of the bedrooms along the back exterior wall. If you don't get too fancy with the finishes, I'm guessing a 5x8 bathroom (average size for most ranches) could be done for about $8k. This may be more expensive but it would make your house nearly 1200 sq ft while keeping the dining room and traditional layout of the bedrooms. I think you'd easily get back most of that $8k if you ever decided to sell.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM

7,200 posts, read 8,881,845 times
If everyone had read carefully it would be noted that there is no bathroom to be lost. Instead a new bathroom would be added in the footprint of one of the existing bedrooms. To replace that bedroom, owners would convert the dining room to be a bedroom. Hopefully that dining room converion would look and feel like a regular bedroom, that is, no need to walk through it to get somewhere else. Perfectly reasonable.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 AM

7,602 posts, read 13,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If everyone had read carefully it would be noted that there is no bathroom to be lost. Instead a new bathroom would be added in the footprint of one of the existing bedrooms. To replace that bedroom, owners would convert the dining room to be a bedroom. Hopefully that dining room converion would look and feel like a regular bedroom, that is, no need to walk through it to get somewhere else. Perfectly reasonable.
I think some who wrote after my post (#10) got the wrong idea because I wrote the first part of the first sentence wrong (it was right in my head but wrong on the screen, and I noticed too late to edit it ) ... . What I wrote in the rest of the first sentence AND in the rest of my post was correct, so I think most people read it as I meant it, but not all. Oops, sorry!

This is what my earlier post SHOULD have said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hmmm ... I would be VERY careful about changing a BEDROOM into a BATHROOM to make a 3-bedroom house into a 2-bedroom. Yes, I know you would then create a 3rd bedroom out of the dining room on the other side of the house, but I suspect it might still not appear to be, well, a real bedroom to prospective buyers down the road. EG if you had the floor plan, would someone look at the "new" third bedroom and think, "What an odd place for a bedroom. And where will we put our dining table?"
I still suspect that the dining room conversion would NOT "look and feel like a regular bedroom" as it will be in a very different part of the house, and now there will be no dining room either. Even though the house is pretty small, it could still be noticeable.

Hopefully the OP will come back and give us more info ...

Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM

17 posts, read 33,582 times
With the changes we are looking into, we will have two full baths instead of one and a half, with the half bath currently being between the kitchen and dining room. In any of the configurations where we make changes, we will lose a formal dining room, but have a slightly larger kitchen that will hold a small dining table.

The alternative to a master suite, is a guest suite, using the current dining room and expanding the half bath. The master bedroom and 2nd bedroom will then share the current full bath. The other option is of course to do nothing.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:04 PM

5,218 posts, read 8,026,599 times
If you could reconfigure that half bath and make that available as an en-suite to the guest bedroom- (even if it is also the "powder room" either by doors or a vestibule, make it feel like an en-suite) then that would be perfectly fine. A nice two bedroom, two bath can be more desirable than a 3/1.5. There will be a chorus of folks exclaiming to never take a away a bedroom- what about the children?!!!. Trust me, the majority of buyers don't have children and plenty would prefer this set up- one, more generous sized master and then a junior master, than three tiny bedrooms more or less sharing one bath.

It really does depend on how this layout would work with the rest of the existing house and the more typical house expectations in your market.

Edit: it seems I am as confused as everybody else, you are contemplating converting the area of one bedroom into the master, giving you an en-suite and presumably more closet space, leaving one br and the original bath nearby and then having the dining room area on the other side of the house potentially function as a (3rd) BR with only a 1/2 bath close by. Now if you can still create a tiny 3/4 bath for that occasional 3 BR, then I say go for it! Furnish that 3rd occasional bedroom like a slick little library with a day bed. For that 3/4 bath the most space efficient way is like a wide closet with the door in the center facing a small sink with toilet and shower at opposite ends- this requires about a 3.5' x 8' (and that's a very small, but complete bathroom), or you can do a 6' x 6' space with a corner shower and toilet and sink on the two walls adjacent the shower.

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-25-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 05:29 AM

12,554 posts, read 7,618,032 times
IMO, potential buyers could see your living space as pretty cramped without the dining room. Lets say your bedrooms with closets are about 170 sq ft each - that's maybe 560 sq ft counting the hallway. Your bathrooms may be 100 sq ft total so that's 660 sq ft. If the dining room (now bedroom) is 12x12 that's another 144 sq ft for a total of 804 sq ft. That leaves 330 sq ft for your kitchen and living room. Imagine trying to cram a kitchen table, fridge, stove, counter space, couch, chairs, tv, etc into a room of about 18x18 - I know it can easily be done, but I'm not sure if it's the best use of the space.

If it were my house, I might look into knocking down the walls of the dining room and making that space part of the kitchen/living area. Then I would build a small master bath on the back of the house. If you live on a street surrounded by 1000-1500 sq ft homes, I don't think too many buyers are expecting a large master bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or