Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM

17 posts, read 41,153 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make some changes in our current home, and with the changes complete, we will end up with one bedroom on to opposite side of the house. This bedroom will not have its own bathroom, but we will more than likely use the space as an office. The house is only 1134 square feet, so if we ever had to use it as a bedroom, realistically you would not have to walk too far away to get to the bathroom on the other end of the house; just a short jaunt through the living room.

Is that odd, and coud it be a deal breaker if we were to sell at some point in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 01:14 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I would dislike going through a living room in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
So, if I were house hunting, I would not want your house.

How many bedrooms are there?

That said, it IS your house, and if the space woks for you as an office, go for it.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
My opinion is that it's odd (I had a similar layout once, but the "guest" bathroom was adjacent to that one bedroom and the living room), but the price difference vs comparable homes with a different layout would be insubstantial.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would dislike going through a living room in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
So, if I were house hunting, I would not want your house.
Err, if you were the owner, you wouldn't be sleeping in the guest bedroom either... or Would you?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Since I personally dislike it, I would not want the same for my kids or my guests.

And yes, I just might use the room.
DH and I use the current guest room as a sick room when one of us is very ill. No sense infecting the other, or distrubing their sleep.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:21 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Err, if you were the owner, you wouldn't be sleeping in the guest bedroom either... or Would you?
Well, it could be a kid's room or the room of someone else who LIVES there, which was her point. (Maybe you took her a bit too literally with the "I" ...)

I would find it a rather odd set-up too. I have a 5-bedroom house and all the bedrooms have bathrooms nearby -- no need to go through another room (like a living room, as the OP said).

(ETA: Pitt Chick, I think we were responding at the same time! I read your post the way you meant it. And to Brian_M, I too often use the guest room at my house instead of the master bedroom, especially when I am by myself ... the guest room is MUCH cozier.)

Old 11-23-2014, 01:26 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
It would be fine. In fact, one day someone in the family might like a little distance away. The size of the house makes this entirely reasonable. How far of a walk could it be? Seven seconds max. If someone needs to get up in the middle of the night, no problem, there should not be anyone in the living room. Even if there were, so what? The things folks worry about. I would just say -- do it!

Old 11-23-2014, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 41,153 times
Our house is a three bedroom 1134 square foot rancher so it would take less than 10 seconds to go from the bedroom in question to the bathroom.

The reason for the question is because we are considering using one of our three bedrooms to create a small en-suite for the master bedroom, and using the current dining room as the third bedroom since it has a decent sized pantry that can be easily converted into a nice closet. This dining room turned bedroom is the space that would be on the other side of the house, away from the bathroom.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Time is not the issue for me... going through public space is the issue.

Sounds like it will make a nice office for you, along with a lovely en-suite!
Are houses without a dining room marketable in your area?

Old 11-23-2014, 02:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginva View Post
Our house is a three bedroom 1134 square foot rancher so it would take less than 10 seconds to go from the bedroom in question to the bathroom.

The reason for the question is because we are considering using one of our three bedrooms to create a small en-suite for the master bedroom, and using the current dining room as the third bedroom since it has a decent sized pantry that can be easily converted into a nice closet. This dining room turned bedroom is the space that would be on the other side of the house, away from the bathroom.
Hmmm ... I would be VERY careful about changing a bathroom into a bedroom to make a 3-bedroom house into a 2-bedroom. Yes, I know you would then create a 3rd bedroom out of the dining room on the other side of the house, but I suspect it might still not appear to be, well, a real bedroom to prospective buyers down the road. EG if you had the floor plan, would someone look at the "new" third bedroom and think, "What an odd place for a bedroom. And where will we put our dining table?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating