U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times

Advertisements

I just bought this house and the more I look at the orange paint I hate it. That being said, the floor plan is so open I have no idea what would look good here. I originally thought a light mint color to replace the orange and leave the beige color. However, the cabinets are black. Would light colors look strange with the black? I would paint the cabinets but would white cabinets look okay with the countertops? Ugh. So many things to consider, I'm so overwhelmed.

Open to all suggestions because I am the least visual person ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,382,293 times
Just get rid of the orange!
Paint it the same color as the rest of the house- open plan, one color.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,953,740 times
It is difficult to tell exactly what the paint color looks like in person, but I would agree that the orange and the beige are not very flattering. IMO open plans don't have to be the same color but they should be in the same family. Find a color you really like and choose colors from that paint strip.

I would go with something like BM Revere Pewter for your kitchen and a darker, similar paint color for your living area. That way your background would be neutral and you can add in color with accessories. Your wood flooring looks to be on the warmer side so I would be sure to choose warm colors for your paint.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM

25,366 posts, read 16,332,185 times
Unless my screen in intesifying the orange in your kitchen, I'd want that color gone ASAP. Since you have wood floors and black cabs, and these would be permanent features, I'd stay away from any intense warm color on the walls. The problem is finding a good color that would make the black cabs look less stark, and than would not clash with the warm tones of the floor. I think a good bet is painting the kitchen a different color than the rest of the house. You can always personalize your bedroom space with a color you love. Hence, I'd say you could use three colors at least in your home. One general neutral for the walls around the wood floors, one for the kitchen and another for your bedroom.

The kitchen is the hardest, because you have white floors and counters and black cabs. I don't think white or off white would be a good choice in there. I'm not seeing mint green in there. The thing is, you need warmth on the walls, IMO, because of the coldness of the black and white.

Find different grays, including some pulled from the warmer side of the palette. Find a neutral, warmish, pleasant gray. Since you like green, you could also look for a grayed green with some yellow in it. That might work. Bring home color chips and tape them around the room. Hold them next to the cabs. Take your time deciding. For the rest of the house choose a neutral you love, but remembering that the wood floors are warm. In this case you probably want a cooler tone. You need two tones that can live with each other without fighting. You can find them, but you will have to look at a lot of colors to do so.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your new home.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:05 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,129,311 times
A grayed green sounds lovely, silibran... and so much better than that orange AND that beige.
(To me that beige is just as bad as that orange.)

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,963,709 times
I would go with a grayish beige or other grayish hue of a color you like. I agree with the advice to use different colors from the same strip. I would probably ditch that beige, too, just because it's not a beige I particularly like. But, regardless, the orange needs to go.

I would personally pick something similar to this and go lighter/darker based on how much light the rooms get:

Graceful Gray PPU18-12

Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,243,088 times
Find a color wheel from the store, find the cabinet color, note the colors on the wheel that are suggested to go well with that color. In the more open LR area use different colors on different walls. Again using a lighter shade of one of the color wheel colors.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM

21,986 posts, read 13,019,548 times
I prefer a single color for an open floor plan. I'd go with a grayish taupe, using your kitchen counter as the baseline. Get something that goes well with that. The BM Revere Pewter someone mentioned is a good start, and then you can try a little grayer vs a little beiger based on what looks best with the counter. I would not paint the cabinets white if you are planning on keeping the black appliances.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:03 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,103,319 times
Single color.

Pale, pale, pale.....with just a hint of color.

No gray undertones. It'll soak up your light.

Your natural lighting isn't that good.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:59 PM

25,366 posts, read 16,332,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Single color.

Pale, pale, pale.....with just a hint of color.

No gray undertones. It'll soak up your light.

Your natural lighting isn't that good.
Pale, pale, pale might be the way to go is the OP likes it. But to say that gray will soak up the light is not accurate. You can find probably a million lighter or light grays. And if the kitchen faces south or west, it might not be bad to use a less bright color on the walls. It all depends. I painted my kitchen in a medium gray, and it looks great with my yellow toned maple cabs. It is not really dark in there, especially with lights in the ceiling and big windows to the south.

This is why testing paint colors is so important. Every room is different. Paint color looks different in different spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating