U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,088 times

Advertisements

We are renovating our 2br apartment and I am loosing sleep over the kitchen layout. I have tried working with KD from the big store and what he come up with looks like a "before" picture. I am looking at high glossy white & wood grain melamine kitchen (see below). Also I am not sure if I want a side by side or regular single door refrigerator to save space. We are a family of 3 and don't really buy in bulk.
I thank you very much for any input you might offer, I am wide open to ideas.
Original floor plan and photos:

[

Option 1 (KD did this plan)

Option 2 (U shape)

Option 3 (U shaped kitchen with bar)

Below are materials we will use (glossy white will also be used for clothes wardrobe door and interior doors)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM

29,839 posts, read 65,530,266 times
A family of 3 in a 2BR doesn't need a separate Dining Room.
Combine the spaces in an open manner...
but do have the table that fits FOUR.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 PM

5,218 posts, read 8,026,599 times
It doesn't seem like there really is enough room for any sort of table, other than a tiny, bistro style, in any of the layouts so I would probably go with one that has the peninsula/breakfast bar, but if I'm reading that wrong and a small table would work for you then Option 3 seems reasonable.

Option 2 gives you the most cabinet/countertop runs but seems a bit constrained to me- also I'm not big with the Refrigerator in the middle of that cabinet run.

Option 1 works well, one thing I would caution you to be aware of (as someone who designs kitchens and having made this mistake early on) is butting a refrigerator directly against a wall. Depending on the model if it doesn't have a little bit of over space to the side you will never be able to open the door enough to slide out the shelves and drawers for cleaning. Some models are "zero clearance" so look for one of those if you choose Option 1 or similar. Also the length of the peninsula puts it very close to the open dishwasher and would likely block passage into or out of the kitchen whenever open- so measure accordingly, or flip the sink and dishwasher- leaving at least 15" (preferably more) of counter space on the end of the sink.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,763,257 times
How about a banquette seating area under the window or are they French doors/sliders ? If you could do a banquette you could do a trestle style table with a long bench which should give you plenty of room to sit and eat meals

Oh and the fridge issue, I'm not big on having huge monolithic fridges in the kitchen (I'm English so I grew up with a small undercounter fridge). I would either go with a french door type fridge (they seem to have more space than a side by side) or you could go radical like me and have a small undercounter fridge in the kitchen for immediate needs and a larger fridge in the garage/breezeway for other supplies.

Last edited by Jan Alaska; 11-25-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 PM

50,107 posts, read 39,825,299 times
I vote for Option 3. This is because if you go with the ones with the bar, you are really cutting into your dining space and enclosing the room. We had this situation in the kitchen that we just gutted and redid. We removed the "bar" and you wouldn't believe how it opened the space up! Suddenly we had room for a bigger, more comfortable, and more practical table.

Also, the U shape in Option 3 is a classically comfortable and workable kitchen shape. It's hard to go wrong with it - everything is conveniently just a couple of steps away and yet you have a largish open space in the middle of the kitchen which also gives it a comfortably open feel.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all of your responses.

MrRational - thanks, we'll have the table that fits at least 4, probably a compact round table as it usually seats more people than a rectangular one, and it can fit into tight corner .

T. Damon - good points thanks, I think that option 3 has some benefits. Water and fridge are easily accessible without bothering the cook. The downside is that I will have to drag food all over to prep. And all that counter on the top wall is mostly wasted as I wont prep there.
Option 2 seems like a traffic cluster at the peninsula and the fridge.. Besides, I am a bit clumsy and not sure I can see myself running that over daily.
Option 3 in my opinion creates a less than ideal diagonal traffic flow across the kitchen plus a door that may bank into the fridge unless I close it off. I would mostly prep between sink and range with some stuff randomly scattered on the peninsula.

Jan Alaska - Thanks for the idea, I never actually considered a banquette . I don't see them in real homes too often.
I also think a large fridge is unnecessary in a 2 bd apartment and a pantry is a must. I also think that large single sink near the dishwasher is sufficient – no need for a double. It would give much more bench space and make the kitchen seem larger.

KathrynAragon - I am leaning more towards 3 as well. If I must close off my second doorway, the option 2 would offer better traffic flow.
Maybe I should try a modified 1. Keep the door. But this time, attach the peninsula to the bottom wall. Put the sink on it. It would give a huge prep space and a straight shot to the door.

Many thanks again for your input. Greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by ev8383; 11-27-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,100,657 times
Of what you listed, #3.

However............I'd do a big "L" shape.... long part of the "L" along the wall at the bottom of the drawing. I'd cut back the wall separating the kitchen and living room to open up the space. Would also give you most flexibility in seating (leaf in the table). You could also add a small island prep space.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 AM

29,839 posts, read 65,530,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev8383 View Post
...we'll have the table that fits at least 4, probably a compact round table
as it usually seats more people than a rectangular one, and it can fit into tight corner .
You have missed my point.

The table that seats 4 comfortably (and probably bigger than what you have in mind)
shouldn't have to be shoehorned into a tight corner.

Provide adequate space around it.
THEN do the rest of the cabinet & counter top layout

Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 AM

4,675 posts, read 8,100,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You have missed my point.

The table that seats 4 comfortably (and probably bigger than what you have in mind)
shouldn't have to be shoehorned into a tight corner.

Provide adequate space around it.
THEN do the rest of the cabinet & counter top layout
Which is why I made the suggestion of the L-shape kitchen.. open to the living room.

There is a lot of wasted unusable floor space in the area noted "kitchen".

Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM

MrRational - thank for clarification.
ocngypz - its possible to take out that wall. Here are open space layouts

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating