U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,428,211 times

Advertisements

I've asked so many questions about my major remodel I feel like I should be paying a commission . . . but here's another one.

My exterior consists of vertical pine planks supplemented with stucco on parts of the first level. The vertical siding has now been stained "tobacco" (http://kesterhouse.com/specs/photos/tobacco.png) and for the stucco, I'm considering something like this to give it a nice contemporary look (The Strand Manhattan Beach - Contemporary - Exterior - los angeles - by Tomaro Design Group). In fact, that color of brown in the photo is actually very similar to the "tobacco" stain I have already used.

But I'm having a hard time deciding on a complimentary color for my trim. I was thinking about something like this: http://www.olympic.com/Content/image...aturaltone.jpg but am totally open. Even the stucco has not begun yet, so that is changeable at this point as well.

TIA for any tips.

p.s. my house actually looks nothing like the one in the houzz photo in terms of structure. Mine is sharp angles/triangular. I need to scare up a drawing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM

25,382 posts, read 16,348,181 times
A pic of your house would help. I like green trim on brown houses. Google brown house and green trim or use another color to see what others have done. Google will do a basic search, and you can choose images to see pics.

You could keep a Pinterest board on your faves, like a scrapbook of ideas.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM

14,710 posts, read 21,741,912 times
I would chose a complementary color.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM

29,864 posts, read 65,576,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I

My exterior consists of vertical pine planks supplemented with stucco on parts of the first level.
The vertical siding has now been stained "tobacco"

TIA for any tips.
I prefer a lighter field color with a darker trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Complimentary Exterior Trim Color-garage-almostdone.jpg  

Old 11-27-2014, 05:21 PM

39,113 posts, read 48,071,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I prefer a lighter field color with a darker trim.
I cannot picture the OPs house without a photo, but in the example above, I don't like calling attention to garage doors with a trim color. IMO, they should disappear into the structure.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 PM

Here are some photos . . . the blue block will be stucco of the same color as the bare pine in the upper left.

Complimentary Exterior Trim Color-exterior-stain-tobacco1.jpg

Complimentary Exterior Trim Color-exterior-stain-tobacco2.jpg

Old 11-28-2014, 02:18 PM

I like the example you gave, and your house is a breath of fresh air in cookie cutter land. So, you are saying that the stucco will be on the blue block and everything else, including the area above the stucco, will be the tobacco stain?

The color sample you give seems very similar to the tobacco, so it confuses me when you say you want a complimentary color for the trim, since a complimentary color would be across the color wheel. So I think you mean you want a monochromatic scheme that compliments your choices.

I would carry the stucco color onto the pillars and trim on the porch, and I would paint the trim around the two small second story windows with a pop of color. I'm thinking a woodsy green or deep red.

You can download your photo onto the virtual painter at the Sherwin Williams website and try out the different colors.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the example you gave, and your house is a breath of fresh air in cookie cutter land. So, you are saying that the stucco will be on the blue block and everything else, including the area above the stucco, will be the tobacco stain?
Thank you. The blue block will be stucco and the unstained wood on the 2nd floor (to the left of the stained vertical pine planks on the 2nd floor) will be painted/stained to match the color used on the stucco.

Quote:
The color sample you give seems very similar to the tobacco, so it confuses me when you say you want a complimentary color for the trim, since a complimentary color would be across the color wheel. So I think you mean you want a monochromatic scheme that compliments your choices.

I would carry the stucco color onto the pillars and trim on the porch, and I would paint the trim around the two small second story windows with a pop of color. I'm thinking a woodsy green or deep red.

You can download your photo onto the virtual painter at the Sherwin Williams website and try out the different colors.
I suppose my use of the term "complimentary" was not technically accurate . . . what I really meant by "complimentary" was "looks good together".

The blue block stucco and the currently unstained wood on the 2nd floor will be a lighter beige color, much like the stucco in this picture: The Strand Manhattan Beach - Contemporary - Exterior - los angeles - by Tomaro Design Group

I noticed they used a darker, bronze-ish color on their trim, which I think looks pretty slick and contemporary, and am considering that, but I also like your thinking with the red, as the "tobacco" stain does have some subtle red undertones (but mostly brown).

Another factor is that the fascia board that you see also needs to be determined, as well as the rough-sewn posts that have not been installed yet. Those posts will rest on a stone water table. I should post the architectural drawing for clarity.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Drawing:

Complimentary Exterior Trim Color-exterior-1.jpg

Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM

Oh, I get it. That makes more sense, with some stucco color on the second story. I like the drawing, and I'd do it just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating