U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM

343 posts, read 352,663 times

Advertisements

We got Star Shower Laser lights for outdoors and love it. Our trees are all glowing now in red/green.Our dogs are funny when they walk by the lights and get illuminated...We laugh every time. I need to buy pretty much all new decoration for indoors. I want to go with light blue/goldish /silvery color scheme. And we are getting a real tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,488,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My wife and I are all about the real trees. We love the smell of pine throughout the house and the slight imperfections that come with a real tree. We have wood flooring where the tree goes so cleanup is actually pretty easy and quick for us. The hard part is cramming an 8' tree into the trunk of a Jetta to get it home.
Agreed. Even the most scraggly and lop-sided tree becomes a thing of beauty when strung with sparkling lights and treasured ornaments. I prefer natural and imperfect. Plus, after Christmas is over and we've carefully packed away our ornaments, we string cranberries and popcorn and place the tree with its natural garland outside for the birds. It lasts about a week, and then we chop the tree up and use the branches to refresh the protective mulch around our more fragile roses to get them through winter's deep freeze.

I haven't yet begun decorating for Christmas. Tomorrow, I'll store our few decorative autumn items, hang the winter wreath on the front door, and place the Advent calendar, which lives in the hall closet, in its traditional spot at the bottom of the stairs. Then I'll pull out the Christmas box, check everything for needed repairs, and shop for sundry supplies like adhesive hooks, batteries, etc. This coming weekend, I'll add a few touches of greenery and poinsettias. The tree usually goes up the fourth week of Advent and comes down on Epiphany. All gifts remain hidden until Christmas Eve to be opened Christmas morning. I'm an oddball, I know, but that's what the holiday season looks like for our family.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-30-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,580,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My wife and I are all about the real trees. We love the smell of pine throughout the house and the slight imperfections that come with a real tree. We have wood flooring where the tree goes so cleanup is actually pretty easy and quick for us. The hard part is cramming an 8' tree into the trunk of a Jetta to get it home.
That's how we are too. And my husband likes to spend a night sleeping next to the tree when it's almost Christmas. I'd love a huge tree. Last time we got something medium-sized and we tied it to the roof of the car. We also had it halfway in the trunk before one time, MANY years ago, and I still find needles there one in a while, hidden in the crevices, so I try to avoid that now.

I would like to decorate the apartment a little more this year. But I still haven't gotten a storage unit in my building, which really annoys me because I still have an inflatable kayak in the LR that I would LOVE to have down there instead. I'd hate to buy stuff and then throw it away because I have no room. I am pretty much maxed out in terms of storage in my small space.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM

39,121 posts, read 48,084,457 times
Oh dear. I just found out some friends are coming for Christmas.....still hoping to avoid decorating this year, but I'm weakening.
Maybe I can get by with the 4' fake tree I have.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:19 PM

89 posts, read 87,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm already all out for Christmas! We're not hosting Thanksgiving here so I decided to get a head start on it this past weekend. I am whupped but I'm to the point now where all I have to do is sweep and vacuum all the sparklies up.

Not doing the front porch yet - I don't want to inflict Christmas on my neighbors just quite yet.
please take that germ and disease factory off your toilet seat.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 PM

471 posts, read 485,844 times
The outdoor lights were up before Thanksgiving, but weren't turned on until after Thanksgiving.

We decorated the tree after Thanksgiving dinner.

Started the Christmas village on Friday morning.
Had all the lighted garlands strung on the mantles and staircase by Friday evening.

By Saturday evening all 20 Santas, 15 nutcrackers and various and sundry silly mooses, bells, bears, snowmen etc have been distributed throughout the house with no room left bare.

Sunday the big achievement was getting the remotes to work on all the lights. Yep, I think we are done.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM

50,424 posts, read 39,960,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3supraholic View Post
please take that germ and disease factory off your toilet seat.
Please don't worry about my toilet. We'll both be happier.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM

89 posts, read 87,956 times
Quote:
I worry about your guest having to go in and see that thing then either decide to hold it or touch it. GROSS!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM

I did weaken my resolve, and buy a darling snowflake table runner and put a poinsettia in the center of the kitchen table. I need to go rummage in the attic for a wreath, at least......I feel myself getting the urge, even though it is hot and humid here today.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Killer! and someone could hang themselves on those beads, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or