U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM

50,616 posts, read 40,059,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I've done absolutely nothing as of today .

That looks fantastic, KA, and the greenery on the stairs looks very Southern.
Thank you - and I certainly hope so! I have a very "southern" home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Silibran and PeachSalsa - PICTURES please! LOL

Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 PM

4,465 posts, read 3,568,523 times
Beautiful Kathryn!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,273,567 times
Kathryn - love what you have done, especially the mantel.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,553,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew, finally got done with the inside (working on the outside today).
Well done. What size is the slim tree in the corner? That looks like the size I want. I have two trees and not putting both up this year. I want to downsize.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Well done. What size is the slim tree in the corner? That looks like the size I want. I have two trees and not putting both up this year. I want to downsize.
It's a seven foot skinny tree from Hobby Lobby. I think I paid $79 for it - got it last year. I actually have two - one is thicker (and was more expensive). Anyway, they're still there. My daughter is getting one too because they are SO convenient - tall but they don't take up a lot of floor space.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,921,840 times
This year we went all out, as we normally do. Last year we set everything up (we do a lot of inflatables and lighted lawn figures) only to have one of the pieces get stolen. It was eventually returned, but it put a real damper.

This year, though, since the piece was returned, we decided to go all out again.

Our decorations were not even up for a full 24 hours before three of the lawn pieces were ripped apart and strewn across the lawn. My husband and I were naturally upset. I managed to put the three pieces back together AND get them to work again (they were our three pieces that had robotics).

We then went out and purchased and installed a 24-hour camera surveillance system that records to a DVR for 30 days before needing to overwrite due to lack of memory. We then hopped onto our neighborhood's Facebook page and vented about teenagers with no respect and that parents in the n'hood need to warn their teens that we will fully prosecute anyone that trespasses and destroys our property.

We do our yard specifically to entertain the many, many younger kids in our neighborhood. My husband and I have already both decided that next year we will only do net lights on the bushes on the outside of our house. We're going to take a break from doing the entire lawn.

while the outside is garish and over-the-top, the inside is more modestly decorated. Three trees on the first floor (kid's tree, foyer tree, main tree), a few garlands (two in the living room, two in the kitchen), and various fun stockings hanging all the way up the stairs. That's about it.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Wow, Girl, that's bad about people vandalizing your yard stuff.

I am working on our porch today. It is cold and windy outside but at least I get to prepare for the elements - I'll know whether or not the wind is going to knock something down!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,969,626 times
It's funny. I love to decorate so much that people automatically expect that I'm really into holiday decorations. In reality though, I'm not that into them. Maybe if I had kids. I just find it all to be somewhat of a PITA. We might have put our tree out last weekend but we hosted Thanksgiving and it took me 6 hours to get the house to look normal again on Friday. I didn't have the energy to drag the tree out after that. Then Saturday I had a friends Thanksgiving with the ridiculous amount of leftovers and spent Sunday cleaning again.

So, maybe we'll put the tree out this weekend. That's really all we have though, the tree and stockings for the mantle. My husband handles outdoor lights, but we sort of missed our opportunity when it was warm last weekend, so it may end up being minimal this year. We'll see.

If we have kids I'll definitely be into an advent calendar. I love the counting down when I was a kid and that's something I would really enjoy making/preparing each year.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,768,122 times
Back from our getaway from TG madness weekend, so far today I've taken down my fall decorations, heaved the totes of Christmas decorations out of the basement and stalled there.

Our tree was tagged weeks ago on a friends property, this weekend we will be fetching it home.

Last years mantel was the skate thing with real fir boughs and candles, this year I bought this fella from KA's fave Pier One so I think I'm going to change the mantel up and go rustic-sparkly.
Attached Thumbnails
Holiday decorations - share your ideas, questions, and opinions!-untitled.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or