U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:04 PM

50,729 posts, read 40,119,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Back from our getaway from TG madness weekend, so far today I've taken down my fall decorations, heaved the totes of Christmas decorations out of the basement and stalled there.

Our tree was tagged weeks ago on a friends property, this weekend we will be fetching it home.

Last years mantel was the skate thing with real fir boughs and candles, this year I bought this fella from KA's fave Pier One so I think I'm going to change the mantel up and go rustic-sparkly.
OOOOhhhh, Ahhhhhhh! I love that deer! You see that I went all Pier 1 on my mantel with deer from a few years back! Oh, and the vases are also from Pier 1. I just realized that!

Didn't you post pictures of your skates and boughs and candles last year? I either saw those pics here or on Pinterest - either way, that's a great look. I was impressed.

My husband has been out of town while I've been decorating. I told him, "Honey, remember how I've been saying for years that I wanted a white/brown/green winter theme for Christmas but we lived in an open concept house and I had all those nice red and green ornaments? Well, this year in our new house with the separate living room, I was finally able to do the white/brown/green thing."

He said, "So what you're telling me is that our living room is really boring?" He can't envision it. He is in for a big surprise because I think it is absolutely gorgeous.

We have two largish trees. The larger one is in the den. It's got all the old, sentimental ornaments on it and lots of shiny red balls, candy canes, etc. The den is where I put all our playful, kid oriented stuff this year - stuffed animals holding gifts, nutcrackers, etc.

But I have had a vision for several years - I wanted a formal looking tree that was "sophisticated" in the living room. I've been collecting ornaments from after Christmas sales, garage sales, etc that are all music related - musical notes, little violins, brass trumpets, etc. Finally this year I realized I had enough to decorate a tree with! So I finally got my sophisticated look in my living room. WOOOHOOO! I love it. I think my husband is really going to be surprised. I even found a place for our huge painting of a bare tree (I used to hang it in our former living room but it doesn't fit above the fireplace in our new living room). I took out our big painting that's colorful, above the sofa, and I hung the bare tree which is very wintery. It's also in the white/brown/green color scheme.

I even found some fake poinsettias that are dark velvet brown with gold accents. Wow, they really made that theme pop.

I love to decorate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM

33,117 posts, read 62,006,885 times
I brought the Halloween pumpkin in before it rotted! LOL

It was a rare 70 degree day today, so I hung the lights on the porch. Another burst of energy, and I hung the wreaths on the doors and windows. AND washed the front storm door, LOL.

Baby steps ...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It was a rare 70 degree day today, so I hung the lights on the porch. Another burst of energy, and I hung the wreaths on the doors and windows. AND washed the front storm door, LOL.

Baby steps ...
Hey, you're good!

I usually leave the Halloween pumpkin out till I have to use a shovel to scoop it up.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 10,991,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Baby steps ...
i've been watching the pumpkins in town slowly melt during my drive home. One was carved to look like a kitty face (eyes, nose, whiskers, mouth) and the mouth is slowly caving inward. Looks much more ghoulish now that it did on Halloween!

I took advantage of the freak warmth over the weekend (60's and the rain didn't materialize until late Sunday) to get the wreaths on the windows and put up most of the outdoor lights. Haven't done the stair decorations yet (maybe this weekend). As you said, one tiny step at a time...

Old 12-02-2014, 03:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew, finally got done with the inside (working on the outside today).
You young lady have a lovely home! Looks like my dream retirement home in mount Dora one day hopefully.

We also just purchased this house in 2013 so I already had one Christmas in it so I sort of figured it out. I went nuts and purchased tons of stuff in blue and white in honor of my first grandchild so I have to do all the trim that way outside.

Next weekend is our tree weekend because we extend the holidays until Jan 6th, for three kings days ( when Cuban kids got the gifts) btw our tradition is to put out our shoes with hay for the camels and the next morning gifts are beside them. I am teaching my Cuban, Irish, Peruvian grandson all these traditions so decorations shift after Christmas day.

I already put out the wreath and a blue tinsel tree outside on TG weekend and if I would have already had my dream adult toy of a golf cart I would have decorate it. In my south Florida community of small families and not retirement age folks we all love golf carts and drive around our three sister villages with decorated carts for the seasons, maybe nxt year.

This year the tree will be tricky since I have a very young little girl kitty who is full of energy.

Hopefully I will figure out how to post pictures of the final product once I am done.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 12-02-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 PM

33,117 posts, read 62,006,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I usually leave the Halloween pumpkin out till I have to use a shovel to scoop it up.
LOL, me, too, but I didn't carve this one and I want to roast it and eat it! For once, the squirrels didn't dig into it before I could.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,119,241 times
I had two pumpkins..one I carved......and one I decorated with paint.

The decorated one.......someone stole. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

The carved one..............well something ate it. Do possum eat pumpkin? There aren't any more stray kitties in the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
You young lady have a lovely home! Looks like my dream retirement home in mount Dora one day hopefully.

We also just purchased this house in 2013 so I already had one Christmas in it so I sort of figured it out. I went nuts and purchased tons of stuff in blue and white in honor of my first grandchild so I have to do all the trim that way outside.

Next weekend is our tree weekend because we extend the holidays until Jan 6th, for three kings days ( when Cuban kids got the gifts) btw our tradition is to put out our shoes with hay for the camels and the next morning gifts are beside them. I am teaching my Cuban, Irish, Peruvian grandson all these traditions so decorations shift after Christmas day.

I already put out the wreath and a blue tinsel tree outside on TG weekend and if I would have already had my dream adult toy of a golf cart I would have decorate it. In my south Florida community of small families and not retirement age folks we all love golf carts and drive around our three sister villages with decorated carts for the seasons, maybe nxt year.

This year the tree will be tricky since I have a very young little girl kitty who is full of energy.

Hopefully I will figure out how to post pictures of the final product once I am done.
Awwwww, your traditions sound lovely! We keep our tree up till Epiphany (Feast of the Three Kings) as well, and I really like that. We don't have any special things we do on that day though. Our kids open their gifts up on Christmas morning. We always let them open one gift - their Christmas pajamas! - on Christmas eve though.

My SIL is Panamanian/Puerto Rican/Italian though and I wonder if he has any unique Christmas traditions? I will have to ask him and if so, I'd like for him to share them with the little younguns. Good idea - thanks.

There are several ways to post pictures. The easiest way I've found is to scroll down when you're writing a post, below the "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" tabs, and click on "Manage Attachments" in the "Attach Files" section. From there you can upload pictures from your computer. Just choose the picture, click Upload and when you're finished, just close the window.

Hope that helps - I'd love to see some of your pictures!

Thanks for the house compliments by the way. I absolutely love the house - we just bought it in May.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,780,112 times
Excellent info on the photos, Kathryn! This is a test for me as I've always found the process unwieldy on an iPad. Haven't done much decorating but took this photo in early morning light in my living room. I don't remember your photos being small like this, though. Oops, just went back and looked, they're the same size.
Attached Thumbnails
Holiday decorations - share your ideas, questions, and opinions!-image.jpg  

Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,593,969 times
My small apartment doesn't have a lot of storage so we don't keep a lot of stuff around for the holidays. We did put a wreath on the door of our apartment though, even though the rules say you're not supposed to. ;-P

Because we didn't get to decorate the year before last, we ended up getting a beautiful, rather big tree for our apartment last year. We always buy real trees because we love the smell. And surprisingly, our cats are pretty well behaved, though last year they loved sleeping on the fake snow I had at the base, which they got away with because they looked adorable.

I'm trying to figure out when we'll get a tree---my guess is not this coming weekend since I work so probably the weekend after that. We usually keep it up a week after Christmas anyway.

We did buy some other stuff but again, we don't have a lot of space to even decorate. We have a thing to put on the door, we bought a nice table runner and I have a lot red colors in the LR anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or