U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,119,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I meant to post this earlier in the week when I completed them, but I made these reindeer for our front yard.
Love them! Dad made a Santa and several angels one year for me. I wonder whatever happened to them.

One year I made deer out of grape vines. Then the blizzard blew them away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 PM

7,683 posts, read 3,553,656 times
One of my favorite decorations is a small table top Christmas tree my sister made for us the year we moved into our current home. We hadn't yet moved all our stuff and most of our time then was taken up dealing with my fathers health issues so xmas décor was at the bottom of priorities.

Its a metallic tree, silvery and gold, pre-lit with some normal decorations. But the highlight is a ton of miniature frames with black and white photos of family members for about 5 generations. Also, family pets.

I love that I can just plug it in before I get anything else out. For some reason, the black and white pics really show up better than colored ones and everyone loves both finding their pics and looking at the rest. Every year I buy more frames to put up pics of new babies, older kids or new pets.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:07 PM

50,730 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
One of my favorite decorations is a small table top Christmas tree my sister made for us the year we moved into our current home. We hadn't yet moved all our stuff and most of our time then was taken up dealing with my fathers health issues so xmas décor was at the bottom of priorities.

Its a metallic tree, silvery and gold, pre-lit with some normal decorations. But the highlight is a ton of miniature frames with black and white photos of family members for about 5 generations. Also, family pets.

I love that I can just plug it in before I get anything else out. For some reason, the black and white pics really show up better than colored ones and everyone loves both finding their pics and looking at the rest. Every year I buy more frames to put up pics of new babies, older kids or new pets.
We have something like that - actually two of them!

My dad laminated photos set in "ornaments" - baby pictures of all our family members (he and my mom, my brothers, my kids and the grandkids) and we have a special little "family tree" we put them on, complete with vintage ornaments from the 40s - 60s.

We also have a Halloween Tree - this is a metal tree I found with bare branches. It's pretty tall, a silhouette style. I printed out every picture I could find of any family member wearing a costume, and put them in little black and purple and orange frames. It's GREAT! It's also very funny.

I also printed out pictures from the past 50 years of parties, groups of people in costume, pumpkins and pumpkin patches, kids trick or treating, etc and put them in a photo album and I put that out on the coffee table in the fall. It's good for some laughs too!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,769,383 times
This was our second Christmas in this house and the first since the living room was finished, last year we hosted Christmas eve dinner for 21 so ended up with a table in the living room so seating wasn't an issue. This year I hosted Christmas dinner and festivities for 15 so we had to get creative with seating.
We moved our old loveseat from the snug and shuffled the other seats around so there would be at least enough seating for the adults. While sitting with a glass of whiskey late on Christmas day DH and myself decided we kind of like the look of the room with the loveseat soooo let the shopping begin! I'm in search of a 2 seater sofa with English rolled arms that won't break the bank. So far we've looked at Restoration Hardware where it comes in at nearly $3K :O

I have a tendency to redecorate after Christmas as everything looks so dreary with the tree gone this year it looks like the walls get a break and we are on the hunt for new furniture

Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 AM

This is our first year in this house for Christmas, and I have discovered something that I really like.

Since we don't have an open floor plan anymore (yay!) our living room is separate from the den and formal dining room. So I put our more colorful Christmas stuff in those two rooms and did the living room in winter white, rich browns, and deep moss green. It was lovely. It also wasn't necessarily "Christmassy." By that I mean, no tinsel, no red and green, no Santas, no nativity scenes. We did have a Christmas tree in the corner and some evergreen boughs and of course some Christmassy coasters but the rest of the stuff was more "woodland" themed.

I even switched out the colorful picture above the sofa for a large painting of a bare tree. I switched out the colorful afghans and pillows around the room for more subdued but rich velvety moss green and deep brown.

We had some carved wooden deer on the mantel with some candles and evergreen boughs. I took down the evergreen boughs but left the candles and deer. I also left the bare tree painting and the green and brown pillows and afghan. I added an owl and a picture of a winter scene to the mix.

I LOVE it! It looks very January and February to me so I'll leave it like that till spring. Then I'll hang the colorful painting again, add the orange and turquoise pillows and candles and carnival glass and afghan back to the mix and it will be fresh and colorful through October again.

WOOHOO!

I love decorating.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,253,896 times
Another fun thread!

I have been the designated Xmas holiday meeting place the last few years, due to location and floor plan (no steps).

I work a lot of hours, so I do not have much time to decorate. However, each year I try to come up with something a little different.

This year I ordered several metalic silver foil fringe curtains from Amazon. I placed these over my curtains that cover my sliding door and then put my tree in front of them. The curtains are 3'x8' each and completely covered the sliding door. The shiny foil reflected the lights on the tree nicely and made everything very sparkly.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 PM

7,769 posts, read 14,765,319 times
Better late than never! (I was out of commission for a bit. )

Family Room Tree

Before the pirate attack

Christmas Eve night...after the pirates ransacked our home looking for their stolen booty (don't ask...but in short, we have this on-going pirate saga with my kids. )

Dining Room. This is the first year since we've been living in our home that I didn't put up a dining room tree. (It was too chaotic with the basement under construction.)

Next year I plan on using roping for the cards.

Our outdoor decorations on and around the house consisted of evergreen roping & C-7 transparent multi-color lights with twinkle bulbs randomly mixed in. And to go with my retro-80s theme, a plastic popcorn Santa!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Awesome, ImportersWife! Very opulent look.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,184,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Christmas Eve night...after the pirates ransacked our home looking for their stolen booty (don't ask...but in short, we have this on-going pirate saga with my kids. )

I'd love to hear the pirate saga. I love when people think outside the box when it comes to holiday traditions.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:23 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,184,606 times
So, here we are, coming into another holiday season so I thought I would bump this thread. Anybody doing any Halloween decorating?

I'll post pictures later, but we put up tombstones, webbing, lights in the tree with ghosts, etc. This year we also bought a fog machine for on the front porch. Because of the amount of kids, we end up sitting on the front porch the entire evening, so it will be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or