Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times

Advertisements

Reminds me, I have to switch my facebook settings soon.
A friend has a tree for every single room, every single person and pet in the household.
Overkill when she posts ( already started) the goings on of every damn tree and its ornaments, history, which kid/pet it belongs to Yada
yada, yada......
Talk about a Xmas bomb going off in the house.
I love a well holiday decked out home, but she just over does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, my house looks like a Christmas bomb went off in it. Hardly anything is actually put together, but everything is out - LOL. Man, my stuff looks like doodoo - it doesn't go at ALL in my new house. Hmmmmm...

So I've already made one run to Hobby Lobby and spent $125.

I am asking myself why I ever thought it was a good idea to have more than one Christmas tree...

Before this current house, I put up two trees. One in the front entry by the staircase and one in the living room.

I have a friend in the UK who puts a tree in every room except kitchen and bathrooms. I'd go crazy!

When I was little, I had a fake tree in my room... to decorate any way I wanted. I suspect Dad did that to keep me from messing with the icicles he was so patiently separating and hanging one by one on the tree.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
We opted to get a real christmas tree this year. I think its been over 10 years since we had purchased a real tree. That was fun picking it out earlier this evening. I purchased a galvanized washing tub to put the tree in as I don't like tree skirts. Impossible with cats and I never really cared for the look. I think I am going to go simple this year. Natural displays with a rustic feel.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 PM

161 posts, read 219,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We opted to get a real christmas tree this year. I think its been over 10 years since we had purchased a real tree. That was fun picking it out earlier this evening.

Same here!! 10 years (at least) since we've had a real tree and we got ours today We had so much fun picking out our tree together as a family--while we were all deciding which tree was "absolutely perfect" it occurred to me that my kids have never had that experience before. It might become a family tradition

We moved into a lovely (and much larger) home earlier this year, and I was very nervous about decorating for Christmas. I'm not a gifted decorator, and, much to my mothers chagrin, I've always ended up feeling like holiday decorations are more trouble than they're worth. And our house is so lovely, I felt like expectations would be high Well, I think all that worry paid off! By the end of the weekend we will be 90% done (in comparison, once or twice we've been known to throw up a tree the week before), and I have never been so happy and pleased with decorating for Christmas!! We had to buy a lot of new things, and I hate wasting money so I tried to formulate a rough plan in advance (but keep it loose enough I could snag a good deal!) Everything is turning out even better than my rough expectations!

I've read the House board a lot since our move--you all are an excellent resource of knowledge and opinion! And I think I'm seeing what many of you post about finding out what you like and going from there. For the first time I feel like my house (and now Christmas decor!) fits my style (which was/is still a work in progress) So thank you all for the help, opinions and encouragement you didn't even know you were giving this House Forum Lurker

I'll attempt to post some pix

Old 11-30-2014, 07:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Whew, finally got done with the inside (working on the outside today).

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
It looks festive and cozy, Kathryn. I've always admired swags of greenery on a staircase!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,007 times
I've done absolutely nothing as of today .

That looks fantastic, KA, and the greenery on the stairs looks very Southern.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
Well.. I did the hard part today.

Drove to Lowes, purchased the tree, carried the tree into the house and up a flight of stairs.

I put the tree on the floor in the hearthroom and let the new kitties explore for a bit. Not too impressed. Good! Put the tree into the stand and carried it all into the living room.

The tree remains undecorated and has been unmolested now for several hours.

Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed!!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
My boys wanted a fully decorated house "just like when they were little". Okay......they volunteered to do it all over the weekend! So we have the village set up on the mantle...so far, the kitten has stared at it with very wide eyes, then got freaked out and ran away, until she finally very carefully crept back in and curled up on the couch with one eye warily watching the moving figures. So far, so good. She has also left the tall skinny tree alone, except for sniffing very carefully around its base and trying to pull its tree skirt into a ball for napping. She has not yet spotted the Nativity set.....We have the bigger tree set up in the living room. She has fallen out of it once so far. We only put lights on both trees...no ornaments and no tinsel or anything else. So far, so good....no trees have been pulled over and nothing has been destroyed...yet. I DID buy both cats a whole bundle of new mouse toys to help bribe and distract them. Maybe that has helped!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I have acquired through the years a collection of stuffed Santas and fancy Santa dolls. Some of these are large. Some are folksy; some are ornate. They are the backbone of my decorating. I basically get them out early in December and place them around my house. In my latest house it is hard to find good places for the big, fancy ones, and I still have two to properly place.

I now have a deep mantel atop a corner fireplace. I will put an arrangement on it and the hall table, and put a red Christmas tree in the center of the dining table, and that will be pretty much it, except for a few garnishes here and there. The stuff I use for arrangements are usually a mix of Christmas things, and other things I have gathered through the years and which I use year round, in one way or another.

That's it for me, except for the tree and the outside lights. The tree is decorated quite fully, as of Black Friday, with the help of young grandchildren, if you want to call it "help." I like having the tree up for a month before having to take it down. I am sort of sad to take the decorations down in early Jan. Its a real pain to take the tree down, and I usually devote all of Jan 1 to that task.

When I get my mantle arranged, maybe I'll post a photo. I think I enjoy that more than anything else I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating