U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 PM

33,085 posts, read 61,917,090 times

Advertisements

You want the door's surface to match the trim in the room it faces. There is no law against painting each side of the door a different color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 PM

15,855 posts, read 26,011,825 times
If you paint the inside of the door blue, the side strip where the doorknob is should be blue also, so if the door is ajar, you will see the blue from in the room.

and if the front of the door is green you paint the hinges side of the door green because that shows on that side of the room, looking towards the door.

I hope I explained good.

Doors can be any color you want.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 PM

15,855 posts, read 26,011,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you are painting to resell, match the doors to the trim around the doorways and baseboards. You want a unified look throughout the house. Wood trim around doors, and painted doors don't look right. Nor do painted trim and wood stained doors. There are always exceptions, but you are trying to appeal to the vast majority of prospective buyers.

If you have one room that has different trim around the doorway and baseboards, from the rest of the house, then I'd match the door side that faces that room to match the trim.

Brass is always OK. It is not trendy now, but it is classic.

I beg to differ my friend.

All my doors are stained dark, (standard 6 panel doors), but our trim is painted the same color as the walls. My preference, as I hate white trim and white doors.
It looks very good to me. Besides our trim is regular standard 2 inch molding, you kind of want it to just blend away, as the doors are the focal point.

I understand when it is fancy trim to accent though.

I do think though for resale, no matter what color it is, it is going to get painted over anyway.
99.9 percent of people always re paint

Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM

25,369 posts, read 16,332,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I beg to differ my friend.

All my doors are stained dark, (standard 6 panel doors), but our trim is painted the same color as the walls. My preference, as I hate white trim and white doors.
It looks very good to me. Besides our trim is regular standard 2 inch molding, you kind of want it to just blend away, as the doors are the focal point.

I understand when it is fancy trim to accent though.

I do think though for resale, no matter what color it is, it is going to get painted over anyway.
99.9 percent of people always re paint
You are the exception! I think you have a nice modern look. I don't think it would appeal to the average buyer, although I could be wrong.

I had painted trim throughout my last house, although it was narrow and dated. The exception was the great room which had wood stained trim. I thought the two sorts of trim made no sense, but we didn't change it. The closet door and the exterior door in that room had wood stained trim and white doors. I hated it.

My present house has wide--luxuriously wide--white trim and doors. I longed for wide, white trim for so long. And now I have. But my house is not a contemporary. It actually reminds me of an oversized cottage.

I do think that the trim and doors are best done consistently throughout the house. But I don't think it is an unbreakable rule.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM

21,987 posts, read 13,019,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is this the money pit you over paid for?
And yet you throw more money at it...
This.

Do the doors absolutely need to be painted? Can you clean them with a Magic Eraser and keep them as is?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 PM

38 posts, read 43,164 times
Where did he say he paid too much for it and where did he say he paid for the paint? Maybe the paint came with the house. Sounds like you're a bit arrogant...

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,699,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick129 View Post
Where did he say he paid too much for it and where did he say he paid for the paint? Maybe the paint came with the house. Sounds like you're a bit arrogant...
You gotta read the whole story on other posts to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating