U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tile or hardwood in the kitchen
Tile 14 33.33%
hardwood 17 40.48%
other (please specify) 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM

50,573 posts, read 40,036,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Looks very nice! I do love the look of travertine.

Some prefer time; some prefer wood. Some prefer vinyl. Variety is the spice of life!
Thank you, and I totally agree!

People need to consider their lifestyles, the climate, the risk of moisture, etc before they choose ANY flooring. Based on their own unique situation, they can then make an informed choice rather than simply defaulting to what they think LOOKS best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:24 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I voted other, we are looking at cork for both our kitchen and bathroom. We are also considering vinyl, its low maintenance, has some great finishes nowadays and is super easy to install.

Either way I'm a mopper, I really don't do well with floors that need lots of extra care. When I clean I sweep and wet mop with a good old fashioned cotton rag head mop (I even have a pro quality bucket on wheels with the squeegee) for this reason vinyl would be ideal and cork looks like it would survive nicely too.
My house has 60 year-old cork flooring in the den. A cork floor's lifespan is 20-30 years, so it has definitely lasted a very long time. However it is far from maintenance-free. I have to get down on my hands and knees and hand wax the floor using paste wax, then hand buff it to a glossy shine. You could probably use some kind of buffing machine on it, but you'd have to move all the furniture out of the room to do that. Plus you'd have to rent or buy the actual buffer.

I have to wax the floor at least twice a year, otherwise it loses its shine and looks awful. I'm considering tearing it out to be honest. It's outlived its usefulness. It IS easy on the feet and back but it is easily damaged and is always thirsty for wax. Any other kind of sealer I've tried on it will not stay on it, i.e. it literally flakes or rubs off. Paste wax is the only thing that works on it. Maybe modern cork is pre-treated. I dunno.

I have vinyl in the kitchen and I hate it. It is pitted in some areas, losing its finish in others, and you can see the seams.

You CAN mop a cork floor but it's like hardwood...very very slightly damp mop. Otherwise you'll wash off all the finish you so lovingly applied to it in the first place. I sweep my cork floor every week but I don't like to mop it that frequently.

Right now I'm pondering changing my kitchen floor. Tile seems like the easy go-to option but I have foot and back problems. I don't want flooring that is hard on my feet, but I also don't want a floor that will be destroyed by a water leak. Since my house is almost 60 years old (along with the plumbing), it has happened more than once.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 PM

25,432 posts, read 16,383,435 times
Marmoleum Forbo

You might look into Marmoleum. That would be my choice for a new floor. I don't know if I can sell it to DH, however. It is pricier than most vinyl, I think.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:52 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Marmoleum Forbo

You might look into Marmoleum. That would be my choice for a new floor. I don't know if I can sell it to DH, however. It is pricier than most vinyl, I think.
I had an estimate done for Marmoleum. It was going to be $9k for materials and labor for my small-to-medium sized kitchen.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM

8,146 posts, read 11,467,275 times
We have hardwoods throughout the house, including the kitchen, except for the upstairs bathrooms and the laundry, where we have hard tile.

I agree the whole ruin a floor when the dishwasher leaks is a bit overblown. Unless you live in a slab house, you still have wood under whatever floor you have and it can get damaged and cause issues with the finish floor regardless of what it is. In fact, sheet vinyl can be even worse, because it can allow water to wick across a wide area underneath.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,818,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We have hardwoods throughout the house, including the kitchen, except for the upstairs bathrooms and the laundry, where we have hard tile.

I agree the whole ruin a floor when the dishwasher leaks is a bit overblown. Unless you live in a slab house, you still have wood under whatever floor you have and it can get damaged and cause issues with the finish floor regardless of what it is. In fact, sheet vinyl can be even worse, because it can allow water to wick across a wide area underneath.
That is absolutely true. I suppose tile or sheet vinyl on top of concrete slab would be the most impervious to water damage. But if you live on a crawlspace or a basement foundation and have a SERIOUS leak, the subfloor will be damaged regardless of the finish flooring.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:07 PM

673 posts, read 597,553 times
After living with hardwoods in my kitchen and powder rooms, I have to go with those who say NO!!!

We had kids, a German Shepherd with sharp nails, splashes from washing hands, a dishwasher leak, ice cubes falling out of the fridge unnoticed, and a toilet leak which all wreaked havoc on my floors.

Yes, they were poly'd with a great sealer, but if water sits unnoticed even for an hour, it ruins the area boards. They constituted a great amount of upkeep, and I thought were difficult to keep clean. The manufacturers did not recommend any water or soap products on the floors (medium oak). Just a slightly damp sponge mop, which I feel did not sanitize the floor.

We also had fostered kittens and pups, as well as had a couple of our own. Heaven forbid if one piddled on the wood flooring...it was difficult to keep them out of an "open" kitchen as well!

So, in reading this thread, I think I'd go with a beautiful porcelain or travertine, with very thin grout lines, and just use throw rugs and gel pads to cushion and warm it up. Second choice would be upscaled vinyl. I'd have to look at the industrial tiles in order to see the options. Having something removable would be great!

In our little vacation home, we've put industrial carpet in the other rooms, and it's virtually indestructible! Maybe these industrial tiles are along those same lines, but I do like the fact a tile could be switch out if damaged or stained.

thanks,

Dandiday

Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 7,767 times
for me the material for the kitchen floor either hardwood or tile, the same needs, the most important in the installation of wood flooring not to forget the chemicals to get rid of termites disorders.
http://arsindociptakarya.com/wp-cont...014/03/gid.jpg

http://arsindociptakarya.com/wp-cont...4/03/girkm.jpg

Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 PM

252 posts, read 517,269 times
Floors are needed to be durable to stay the same for longer. I have limestone tile flooring in my kitchen. They are easy to maintain. Once the floor is cleaned, the hygienic of surface can be maintained for longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating