U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tile or hardwood in the kitchen
Tile 14 33.33%
hardwood 17 40.48%
other (please specify) 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 PM

1,897 posts, read 6,335,629 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer or think is best? Tile or hardwood in a kitchen and why would you choose that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 73,459,854 times
Tile is BRUTAL on your feet / knees / hip / back / shoulders! Even if you have the "cushy" mats in front of range / prep areas / sink I can say that after a few holidays in kitchens with tile floors I would NEVER have them if I could go with hardwood flooring instead. In my current home the hardwood floors look awesome and are sealed with "Swedish style" poly so maintenance / wear is non-issue.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 PM

8,536 posts, read 11,434,192 times
I love hardwood and feel that tile is cold and hard on the back and feet. My home currently has me in a quandary. We moved in almost 19 months,ago and I still have the vinyl flooring on the kitchen floor. I had site finished hardwood in my former home and this home has the engineered hardwood. I don't think I want the little "groove" in the floor in the kitchen but also doubt I would like the look of site finished in the kitchen and connecting to it will be the engineered floor of the dining room. So, I remain with the vinyl. LOVE the ease of the hardwood too.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,214,927 times
I have tile and I love the look of it, but I've had nothing but trouble with my feet and knees since I've lived here. My podiatrist says that tile is absolutely terrible for you and that I must never walk barefoot on it. I don't personally love wood floors in kitchens, so there needs to be another attractive choice! I hesitate to consider linoleum, but it can look attractive and it's easier on the feet.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/3180453/...-san-francisco
http://www.houzz.com/photos/65063/Ke...om-other-metro
http://www.houzz.com/photos/3120378/...en-los-angeles

Last edited by Sheepie2000; 11-30-2014 at 10:17 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 AM

21,990 posts, read 13,037,253 times
I have a totally open floor plan on my main floor and wanted a unified floor. So the entire first floor is hardwood. I think it looks great!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM

4,636 posts, read 7,821,972 times
If the prior owners of my 1930 home had left well enough alone, I'd have original hardwood in the kitchen. As it is, they ham-fisted a remodel and tore it all out. So I went with what seems to be my standard/backup (I've had it in 3 homes now), VCT... yup, the same industrial tiles found in grocery stores, schools and industrial buildings. Looks terrible, right?

Anyway, certainly doesn't feel like either hardwood OR hard tiles, sorta somewhere in between. It's cooler to the touch than the wood floors in the rest of the house but has the same "soft" feel to the feet. You can get a TON of different styles in the vinyl tiles too... stone, wood, the original composites (above). You simply can't destroy this stuff either, well so long as it was installed properly to begin with.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 AM

50,489 posts, read 39,989,700 times
I would never put hardwood in a kitchen, even though I freely admit it looks lovely, due to the possibility of a leak in the sink, dishwasher, or ice maker. All three have happened to me and I hate to think what they would have done to a hardwood or laminate floor.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 43,919 times
I think cork is a nice option. It does still have the water damage issue that wood does if it's been exposed to standing water, but it's pretty easy to patch or replace a few tiles. I like it because it can still look like stone, but it's warm and soft. I always drop things in the kitchen, and at least they aren't guaranteed to shatter with cork, unlike tile.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,967,289 times
I'm torn on tile vs wood in the kitchen. I have had hardwood in my last two houses though. I worry about water, but in reality, unless there's a major leak with lots of standing water, it isn't an issue. We aren't particularly careful when we're washing the dishes or anything and the floor is wet a lot of the time. No issues.

I think I'm starting to favor wood more because it's more comfortable under foot. That wasn't something I thought about at all when I was younger, but after standing in my kitchen pretty much all day for the last 4 days, it definitely is something to consider. Also, things are less likely to break if they are dropped on a wood floor and I drop things a lot.

I think either can look really nice. At the end of the day, I would go with whatever I thought looked best if I was designing a space from scratch. Since I haven't had that option, I've had hardwood and liked it.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM

1,897 posts, read 6,335,629 times
I have really bad knees, ankles, back, etc, so I appreciate the feedback and will now remove tile as an option after reading this thread. You have saved me I am sure. Thank you all. Still keep the options coming though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating