U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:40 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,576,702 times

Advertisements

But I'm tall and having to bend down for the stove is dangerous.

For me it depends on the space. I have almost no counterspace so I don't even have a microwave. When we update the kitchen, I'm getting an over-the-range one because it's really the only practical thing to do.

Just get a cheap one that fits the space best and don't worry about it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,295 times
Thank you very much for all the input! It sounds like the general concensus is that most people don't like over the range microwaves. At 5'1", it has been a bit of a challenge to work with for me. The good news is that it looks like it would actually be cheaper to have a simple vent hood installed and buy a counter top microwave than to buy a replacement for my current arrangement, so that sounds like a win/win situation!

One of my favorite things about this house, and one of the main reasons I chose it when I was shopping, is that the kitchen is very spacious for a small (1,000 sq ft) house. There is plenty of counter space for a microwave. (Picture attached - taken by previous sellers, pre-microwave installation, apparently)

I'll probably be back with many more first-time home seller questions before all this is said and done! I have loved this little house, but I probably wouldn't recommend a 70+ year old house to other future first-time home buyers. It has been quite an adventure...
Attached Thumbnails
Over The Range Microwave or Hood?-kitchen.jpg  

Last edited by agp_mzk; 12-10-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,635 times
Depending on the size of your kitchen, you might want to save counter space by replacing the microwave/hood combo. A home shows better with clutter-free counter space. However, if you can live without your microwave during the sale of your home, add a hood only above the stove. It will give the kitchen an updated look and feel.

Hope that helps.

-Chamois

Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 AM

5,063 posts, read 14,855,569 times
I'm 5'2" & love my microhood. I have a small kitchen with limited counter space, so a microhood was ideal for me.

No matter where you put the microwave, to me, the main goal is to have a counter top nearby to immediately set hot food on when your fingers/hands are burning. Same goes for wall ovens.

If I had a larger kitchen, putting a microwave into a built-in cabinet area at counter top level would be ideal since I'm so short--with a countertop nearby, of course.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM

4,632 posts, read 7,814,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
If I had a larger kitchen, putting a microwave into a built-in cabinet area at counter top level would be ideal since I'm so short--with a countertop nearby, of course.
FWIW, if you get to this point simply consider building in a "cutting board" that slides out from directly under the microwave. My parents did that back in ~1978 with the house I grew up in and again about 3 years ago when they built their "dream" retirement home. Simple solution that I'm amazed just doesn't exist more often.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:10 PM

5,063 posts, read 14,855,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
FWIW, if you get to this point simply consider building in a "cutting board" that slides out from directly under the microwave. My parents did that back in ~1978 with the house I grew up in and again about 3 years ago when they built their "dream" retirement home. Simple solution that I'm amazed just doesn't exist more often.
Smart idea. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:54 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,820,607 times
I don't know if you've made up your mind, but the first thing most buyers look at when walking in the kitchen is counter space. I'm going to assume this home would be attractive to first time home buyers, so I wouldn't do a big improvement or anything. Just replace the microwave with another model and save your counter space.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 PM

108 posts, read 92,742 times
The idea of replacing your Oven with the cheaper one is very good. Why bother if you are planning to move out. I have seen some cheap one's but they look very good if installed. And the look of a new oven will be very good. So, think about replacing it and taking the one you like with you.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM

39,102 posts, read 48,059,764 times
Is there an outside vent for a microwave exhaust fan? If not, you would need to put one in if you installed a hood. That's a can of worms you don't need to open if you're moving. Also, I would hate to take up counter space with a microwave.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM

21,987 posts, read 13,024,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is there an outside vent for a microwave exhaust fan? If not, you would need to put one in if you installed a hood. That's a can of worms you don't need to open if you're moving. Also, I would hate to take up counter space with a microwave.
Most of them allow for recirculating air if there is no outside vent. They don't work very well, but plenty of people have them and use them that way

To the OP, despite my personal preference for a separate, truly functional vent hood, I still recommend that you use a microhood for resale. It's the standard at this point, and what most buyers would want. And from that photo, that really is not a lot of counter space, and you are better off keeping it as empty as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or