U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 AM
 
4,881 posts, read 5,084,721 times
Reputation: 7358

Advertisements

We had to replace our microwave (over the range was not an option since we are renting) but I saw
this and thought I'd share. I'm sure it costs more than most microwaves and I don't know if
this company is in the US or Europe.

Grand View Microwave Oven For Small Living Space | Tuvie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Reputation: 38293
I've had both, and I would never put a microwave oven/hood over a stove. The hood doesn't work well, and the micro is not super handy over the stove.

With a vented hood, duct work carries cooking exhaust to the outside. The micro hood combo uses a filter; it does not vent the exhaust. The vented hood works as it is supposed to, and is vastly better at exhausting cooking smoke and odor.

If you don't already have a an outside vent for the hood, it will cost you more to install one. That could be a factor. If you like to cook, and you plan on being in the house for another few years, I'd recommend installing the vented hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,993 posts, read 13,064,337 times
Reputation: 34020
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've had both, and I would never put a microwave oven/hood over a stove. The hood doesn't work well, and the micro is not super handy over the stove.

With a vented hood, duct work carries cooking exhaust to the outside. The micro hood combo uses a filter; it does not vent the exhaust. The vented hood works as it is supposed to, and is vastly better at exhausting cooking smoke and odor.

If you don't already have a an outside vent for the hood, it will cost you more to install one. That could be a factor. If you like to cook, and you plan on being in the house for another few years, I'd recommend installing the vented hood.
You can install a microhood with external venting, it just depends on how it's installed and if the duct work is there. They still are not as effective as a standalone hood IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 10,504,379 times
Reputation: 22779
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
do those who feel that over the range microwaves are dangerous and should be banned also believe that wall ovens should be banned for the same reasons?
Wall ovens are pretty common in the '70s homes that make up my neighborhood. I've never seen one that was more than chest high for me, and I'm not tall by any means. An above range microwave with code compliant clearance above the range top would have me reaching over shoulder height to handle hot dishes, which I agree is a safety hazard. Honestly, though, I don't own a microwave and never have. It's presence or absence would not sway me as a potential home buyer. If it was there, you'd probably find me using it as a bread box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 PM
 
5,075 posts, read 8,925,250 times
Reputation: 4639
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

To the OP, despite my personal preference for a separate, truly functional vent hood, I still recommend that you use a microhood for resale. It's the standard at this point, and what most buyers would want. And from that photo, that really is not a lot of counter space, and you are better off keeping it as empty as possible.
Microwaves seem to be a thing of the past. None of the new construction I've looked at in the $600K-900K range (or remodels for that matter) incorporate them anymore. They're more for single people living in apartments, so the 'value' they'd add to a house is limited.

Sales of microwaves are down, so fewer people see them as a necessary item anymore.

http://qz.com/187743/the-slow-death-of-the-microwave/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Chesterfield, VA
1,220 posts, read 4,660,322 times
Reputation: 547
Go to Realtor.com and take a look at other homes in your market, i.e. competition. Then , put in what is comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 AM
 
Location: NC
7,230 posts, read 8,934,331 times
Reputation: 15244
Given your small home, I would choose to put a microwave back over the stove. The earlier poster who said that a buyer would first be looking at counter space is absolutely correct. A microwave on the counter would blot out alot of your open space. In your case, I would choose a stainless steel unit (definitely not black) as it would look more updated without being a black hole above the stove. The main advantage of a hood would be that it would make the area above the stove visually lighter and brighter, but I think the stainless microwave would come close to accomplishing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,281 posts, read 4,972,083 times
Reputation: 4068
I'm surprised how many people dislike over the range microwaves. I've never found them to look all that great, but if the option is to otherwise take up 2.5 feet of counter space I'd rather have a microwave over the range than on the counter. If you decide to go with a regular hood then I wouldn't even bother to get another microwave. It isn't going to look good taking up a bunch of room on the counter.

I agree with the suggestion to look at the houses that will be your competition and do whatever most of them have. If a counter top microwave is common it won't be seen as a negative or unusual. Same thing with an over the range microwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,993 posts, read 13,064,337 times
Reputation: 34020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Microwaves seem to be a thing of the past. None of the new construction I've looked at in the $600K-900K range (or remodels for that matter) incorporate them anymore. They're more for single people living in apartments, so the 'value' they'd add to a house is limited.

Sales of microwaves are down, so fewer people see them as a necessary item anymore.

The slow death of the microwave – Quartz
But this article says that over 90% of homes have microwaves. And mentioned that for higher priced homes, they are more likely to have a built in wall unit rather than an over the range or countertop version.

I don't think people should build/remodel a home based on what other people want, so someone who doesn't personally want a microwave should not have one. But when 90% of homes have one, I have a hard time seeing them as a "thing of the past."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,281 posts, read 4,972,083 times
Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But this article says that over 90% of homes have microwaves. And mentioned that for higher priced homes, they are more likely to have a built in wall unit rather than an over the range or countertop version.

I don't think people should build/remodel a home based on what other people want, so someone who doesn't personally want a microwave should not have one. But when 90% of homes have one, I have a hard time seeing them as a "thing of the past."
I agree. I've noticed the trend in higher end homes that people are moving away from over the range microwaves, but I have yet to tour a high end home that doesn't have one. If we remodel our kitchen we'll probably put the microwave in the island, but as it is now, ours is built into a cabinet and is not over the range anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top