U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,047,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I agree. I've noticed the trend in higher end homes that people are moving away from over the range microwaves, but I have yet to tour a high end home that doesn't have one. If we remodel our kitchen we'll probably put the microwave in the island, but as it is now, ours is built into a cabinet and is not over the range anyway.
fwiw, I just moved into my new construction home last month and put the microwave in the island. It's been an adjustment getting used to having it that low, but I love how unobtrusive it is, and also love having the room for a real vent hood above the gas range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 01:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 73,478,264 times
Default Utter MAKE BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Microwaves seem to be a thing of the past. None of the new construction I've looked at in the $600K-900K range (or remodels for that matter) incorporate them anymore. They're more for single people living in apartments, so the 'value' they'd add to a house is limited.

Sales of microwaves are down, so fewer people see them as a necessary item anymore.

The slow death of the microwave – Quartz
The lunatics that try to sway tastes toward Pabst Blue Ribbon one year and then craft beers so thick with exotic hops that you'll feel like you are drinking a cypress forest from bottle the next year CLEARLY are playing the same GAME here!

Microwaves are in 90% of homes ! I have no idea what sort of fantasy land w/o microwaves mkarch has been visiting while shopping for a new home but it does not match my experience in suburban Chicago nor my SIL in SoCal.

The options for microwave drawers, microwaves built in to islands at knee height, microwaves built into wall oven cavities with convection ovens / speed ovens, microwaves built in to hutches over regular counters and even rec-room styled / sized microwaves HAS NEVER BEEN WIDER!

Put a hood over your cooktop and a microwave (or two...) wherever you want 'em!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM

25,440 posts, read 16,383,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You can install a microhood with external venting, it just depends on how it's installed and if the duct work is there. They still are not as effective as a standalone hood IMO.
You have more up to date info than I do. I understood that that the microhoods were not not vented.

I'd still go with the standalone hood, though. Or with an exhaust that vents from the back of the cooktop. (That's what I have now. It works well.)

Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 AM

4,177 posts, read 9,656,688 times
For small kitchen, I prefer to put in microwave over the range with convection. I don't bother with the low end one with low CFM fan. Just installed this one on a house I am working on. Cost about $400. Though the vent is not as strong as a standalone $400 vent hood, it's close and I get a 3 in 1 use for a small kitchen space. I put 6" vent to outside.

Sears.com

Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM

15,856 posts, read 26,037,664 times
here's food for thought,

does anyone really think using a micro wave is good for your health?
i'm guilty of using it, but it is micro-waves heating our food. whats in these micro-waves? what are micro- waves? what is a micro-wave?

we don't know, yet we use it.........

Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 73,478,264 times
Microwave energy is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Just like dark clothes absorb IR radiation better than light colored clothes so do water molecules absorb microwave energy -- How Do Microwaves Work

Fact is microwaves are shorter in wavelength than IR and that is how they are more efficient at heating water molecules. It is the other end of the spectrum compared to ionizing radiation like gamma rays or even Xrays. In fact you need not worry about the safety of microwaves unless you are the type person to wrap your head in foil to radio waves out --

Last edited by chet everett; 01-03-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 AM

16,401 posts, read 9,667,709 times
I have an over-range micro with built-in exhaust. I use the micro every day and the exhaust only rarely, but it's good when needed! It's obviously not a full-sized micro so I'm not putting in heavy items so the height for me (I'm 5'5") is not a problem

Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,405,672 times
I would look at your space. Right now we have a counter top microwave but taxes we will be installing an over the range due to space limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or