U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM

29,851 posts, read 65,563,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I guess your saying it wont look right because the space above would be so small
that the gap being 3/4" in one spot and 1 1/4" or so about 2 ft away would be too noticeable?
These discrepancies are WHY so many kitchens are done with crown moulding or soffits.

If you used cabinets up high.. you'll still need some sort of mouldings...
but you'll also need to set the cabinet assy closer to the countertop.
I didn't want that compromise either.

Quote:
I guess you are talking about splitting the distance between top of cabinets
and ceiling with a shelf? There is a thought.
Exactly... and removable for the inevitable spring cleaning.

I posted some of my in process pics recently (before laminate is put on the shelves)
in another thread. Take a peek. Posts 47 & 49.
//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...-you-do-5.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,193,416 times
I just posted some pictures on my profile page. I don't know how to get them to this post.

I understand that the color will be slightly different but they are anyway. I redid the lowers and counter top in 2012 and moved the refrigerator and an ugly closet to make more room and counter space. I also removed a couple ft of carpet and extended the vinyl tile floor out a couple ft to make it appear bigger. The upper cabinets have different style doors but I was thinking of just getting new doors at some stage later. Not to big of an issue right now as I have some more important things to spend money on at the moment.

I just kind of thought about this idea as I want to put a cabinet above the refrigerator and also put one where the refrigerater used to be to fill in that hole a bit. This is how ideas snowball into something bigger!

I might just go with a shelf above the cabinets. I wonder if it would look right continueing above the window where it is kind of empty!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM

21,987 posts, read 13,019,548 times
My builder offered them but I didn't care for how they looked so I went with a 42" cabinet instead and didn't stack on top of that. I think they make the wall look too heavy and it's just too much cabinet for my taste.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,027,520 times
I saw this posted once and I thought it was a great idea if you were using stock cabinets. Since they are only 12 inch cabinets I would buy a set to see if you like it. You may or may not want to add hardware.

Here is an example of one kitchen with 8 foot ceilings:

BTW…I hate the gunk that gets on top of 30 inch cabinets. It is totally useless space, IMO.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,723,873 times
The empty space above cabinets drive me crazy, hard to keep them clean, useless space going to waste. I like the idea, and I like the lighting in the glass doors so show off some collectibles; platters, pitchers, bowls, seasonal.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:26 PM

29,851 posts, read 65,563,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The empty space above cabinets drive me crazy
In larger rooms, like what are shown in the example photo's that have been posted,
stacking cabinets can work. In smaller rooms stacking cabs to the rafters creates caverns.
Living or working in a cavern isn't a good thing.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:42 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,027,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In larger rooms, like what are shown in the example photo's that have been posted,
stacking cabinets can work. In smaller rooms stacking cabs to the rafters creates caverns.
It depends on the lighting and the color cabinets also.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,104,789 times
Oh boy.......that is a small space.

Those are framed cabinets, btw.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.. even with glass doors. Such a small space.. it's overwhelming.

However, the wall where you extended the flooring.. where you have a picture hanging, I would install a pantry unit and call it a day.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:38 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,723,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I don't care, I still hate those dirt catching spaces above the cupboards.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,820,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This is the most common way-
With either solid, glass, or a combination of both types of doors. And of course, if you're doing glass might as well throw some lights in there.
This is exactly how I'd do what you are suggesting. Otherwise, its just too "top heavy" design-wise. Also, you could get a contractor to frame out the top of the 30 inch cabinets; getting the paint/stain to match the existing cabinets could be tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating