U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,192,143 times

Advertisements

How would it look? I currently have a smaller kitchen in a standard rectangular rancher with 8 ft ceilings.

My upper cabinets are 30" and there is about 13" above them of open, dust and cobweb filled space that seems only good for storing liquor bottles. I don't have a closet so storage is at a premium so I intend to add one 18" cabinet above the refrigerator to close that in and add another 30" across from it where the refrigerator used to be while I can still get matching cabinets at Lowes/Home Depot.

While measuring and looking up cabinets I noticed that they sell 12" high cabinets and I have 13" of space. I could really use the extra cabinetry.

And as a bonus I would be able to remove the ugly crown molding in the kitchen and my not so good repair by removing a built in (as an afterthought) pantry/closet to move the refrigerator. My current crown looks alright in the summer but when winter comes the dryness/swelling etc opens up an ugly caulk filled gap between the crown and ceiling.

I have googled some info but the examples are the usual high end houses with top notch custom cabinets in model kitchens. I live in a basic rancher with 8ft ceilings. Nothing fancy and am trying to get some ideas of what it would look like if I got some 12" cabinets and mounted them on top of my current 30 inchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,571,403 times
What about buying 42" wall cabinets?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM

8,506 posts, read 11,412,467 times
My concern would be the header of the 30 inch cabs to the footer on the new cabs. That space might look off. Can you buy one and try it out?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 PM

29,848 posts, read 65,541,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I currently have a smaller kitchen in a standard rectangular rancher with 8 ft ceilings.
And as a bonus I would be able to remove the ugly crown molding in the kitchen

My upper cabinets are 30" and there is about 13" above them...
While measuring and looking up cabinets I noticed that they sell 12" high cabinets
Won't fit right... as ceilings are NEVER flat.
I made removable shelves that sit over the wall cabs (at the 84" point).
It works well.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-10-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,101,956 times
First, what type of cabinets to you have? Full overlay? Inset?

Second, what would you be storing in the upper cabinets?

Can you provide a photo?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,192,143 times
City living;
42" cabinets aren't in the budget. As a matter of fact upper cabinets weren't in the budget either except for 2 of them but the 12" are cheap enough and I can install them myself.

Nuts2uiam;
As far as the header and footer being off. (I'm guessing the space above and below the cabinet doors?) It looks to be about an inch or so either way so about 2 inches between the upper and lower doors with the seam (where they join) in the middle.

MrRational;
As far as the ceiling not being flat (which it isn't), I guess your saying it wont look right because the space above would be so small that the gap being 3/4" in one spot and 1 1/4" or so about 2 ft away would be too noticeable? I guess you are talking about splitting the distance between top of cabinets and ceiling with a shelf? There is a thought.

Ocngypz;
I really have no idea what type of cabinets. The house is just a basic rancher and the cabinets look to be just regular box store standard cabinets. I have no idea about overlay or inset. I do know that they are oak so they aren't too dark as far as closing in the space. I don't know exactly what I'd be storing in them, nothing heavy or that would be used often I suppose.

I never have any luck uploading photos.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,373,145 times
This is the most common way-
With either solid, glass, or a combination of both types of doors. And of course, if you're doing glass might as well throw some lights in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Stacking kitchen cabinets for more height-image.jpg  

Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 AM

4,675 posts, read 8,101,956 times
The photo shown is full overlay. These are also referred to as "frameless" cabinets.

Inset cabinets... the door is flush with or "inset" within the frame.

Framed cabinets.....when you look at the cabinet, there is 1-1/2 inches of frame surrounding the door. You also have stiles in the larger two door cabinets.

With framed cabinets you have less room inside the cabinets and drawers than you do with frameless.

You made reference to "where the refrigerator used to be". What's there now?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM

8,506 posts, read 11,412,467 times
Personally, I don't think it will look right. The other part that I didn't mention is don't underestimate the difference between cabinets that have had an opportunity to develop a patina, cooking, dust, grease, etc. vs an identical new cabinet. This is not at all to suggest that you don't keep a clean home, you may or may not, just that daily use does change the wood.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:02 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,063,945 times
Sure you can do it, but it may take some effort and perhaps skill to make it look good.

I wouldn't be worried about the ceiling being flat - unless it is so off that you can't fit a 12" box into a 13" space You're going to need a scribe molding of some kind to cover that gap anyway, if the ceiling is pretty good you can caulk the joint between the molding and ceiling, if that ceiling is pretty wavy you'll need to scribe the molding to the ceiling. Either way, you do want to cover that 1" gap - not doing so would look kinda strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating