Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right thread to post

I had an old air freshener in my car (I bought it at bath & body works).. It was on a clip on air freshener. Clip thing broke so the air freshener fell out .. The smell started to get to me because it was kind of stale. I eventually found it and threw it but the smell is still there!! I've cleaned my car, got a new air freshener and vacuumed about 10x but nothing has worked Any tips how to get rid of it? Tried leaving the windows cracked to air it out & it didn't work either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
You can try spray vinegar and water in the area where it fell. I'm assuming the fragrance thing was probably oil based. You can also try a past of baking soda and water. Let dry, then vacuum up.

Get some charcoal and leave it around the car to absorb odors.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:32 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
You can try spray vinegar and water in the area where it fell. I'm assuming the fragrance thing was probably oil based. You can also try a past of baking soda and water. Let dry, then vacuum up.

Get some charcoal and leave it around the car to absorb odors.
Thanks! It was I think a bit of it leaked due to the heat (it's been around that long! Since summer) I'll try it though!!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Set a few jars, Tupperware, bowls, or similar containers around the car and fill with baking soda. Let sit. It will absorb the odor. If you can pinpoint the area sprinkle the baking soda over it.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Baking soda will only work if its actually in the carpet- and the results are rather lack-luster.

The collector car trick for long term storage is a bag of charcoal (think Kingsford- without the lighter fluid!). Split it open length-ways and put it in the floorboard- or in your case, add a couple of pounds to a regular size brown paper bag and put one in the floorboard behind the front seats. It can be effective up to 6months in a closed car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating