Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times

Advertisements

Can you help me with the terminology and maybe some sites to look at?

We are wanting to put swing arm wall lamps on either side of our bed. I want them to be wired in - no wall plugs - to the house electrical. But I want them to have their on/off switch on the lamp itself and not at a switch on the wall. That way each of us can have our lamp on - or off - in bed.

Rather like some hotels have - but better looking/quality.

I find ones that are plugged or ones that are wired for wall switches but not one for the way I'm wanting. I think I don't know the right words to search.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
wall lamp or sconce.

Have you been to lampsplus.com?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:56 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Hard wired+ (take your pick) bedside lamp, wall lamp, sconce, reading lamp. It should also be noted that if you find a standard plug in one that you like, a good lamp store can usually convert it for you. I had this done in my bath as I didn't care for the over the mirror lights I found.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:44 PM

But all the ones I've seen that are marked hardwired don't have the on/off at the lamp itself, which is why I thought there might be another term???

So confused... lol.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
try "sconce with built in switch"

or try calling a big lighting house like Lamps Plus or Lighting New York. A good customer service person should be able to help find something for you.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:10 PM

Found one that I like! Thanks.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
First off you need to search for the right keywords -- "swing arm lamp" & "hardwired" & "switched" -- that gives me hundreds of options -- Swing Arm And Plug in Lamps by Sararte.com

Secondly, any "wall lamp" that has a line voltage cord should be safe to "hardwire" -- all competent electricians can do this and most skilled DIYers also understand how to do this safely with modern polarized cord sets. If the lamp has a "low voltage transformer" as part of the cord (the ugly black wall wart that comes with so many gizmos...) those cannot be installed inside a electrical box, but some low voltage lamps are suitable for direct wiring, with the transformer elsewhere in the housing.

Further I would recommend having "bedside wall switches" installed to conveniently control the lamp. This i far better than flailing in the dark for switch on the mounting base of grasping for a socket mounted switch near what is often a hot bulb. Even better are putting the lamps on three way switches so either partner can switch on their mate as well as their own lamp.

The nicest such setups use four-way switches or "remote activation" so that the bedside lamps can be used for general illumination as you enter a dark bedroom with switches near the doorway to hall or bath...

Those "push buttoms" are part of the some odd "home automation" system that I would not recommend, but the dual switch close-up is smart.4-way switch variations.

This is increasingly easy to accomplish with remote switches dramatically falling in price and becoming more widely available... Lutron Remote Wall Switch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating