U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 9,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a tiny bathroom space that is approx. 4x6 feet, i need suggestions on layout on how it should be designed...

I'm thinking of having the door removed and relocated to below mentioned space. Its in the corner of a room so these two walls are open only. Any suggestions? and how much time would a full remodel take approx?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 AM

13,393 posts, read 51,351,021 times
No way that's going to happen!
In a 4X6 space you're only going to get a 1/2 bath.

Check the diagrams in "SECTION R307 TOILET, BATH AND SHOWER SPACES" of the IRC (International Residential Code)plumbing code section.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:48 PM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
these both say they are 24 square feet

Tips for Tiny Bathrooms | Apartment Therapy

East Village Studio

Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 PM

13,393 posts, read 51,351,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Just because they say they're 24sq/ft. doesn't make it right/legal- which they are NOT.

As I stated in my previous post- there are certain space/size requirements for bath fixtures as printed in the IRC.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,676,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

These two examples may be in old buildings that may have been grandfathered. I.e. They may not meet current code requirements.

Notice also that both have the sink and toilet next to each other, not across from each other. In your diagram the toilet seems to have about 6 inches of space to be able to sit down and use it. Not going to work. The shower appears to be shallow, with probably under 20 inches of interior depth. Might work for a bath tub, but, not deep enough if you intend to put a door on the shower.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM

4,675 posts, read 8,098,072 times
You are going to need a minimum space of 5 x 7 to be to code. Can you steal a foot here and there?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM

29,825 posts, read 65,508,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strips View Post
I have a tiny bathroom space that is approx. 4x6 feet...
How is it laid out NOW?

Quote:
i need suggestions on layout on how it should be designed...
It'll make a wonderful shower stall.
Don't know where you'll put the toilet and sink though.

Or it could be a fine powder room.
Don't know where you'll put the tub or shower though.

hth

Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM

3,401 posts, read 4,718,190 times
They are right, you don't have enough room to really get all that in there. Here is a site from Kohler that shows you quickly what fits in what size room
KOHLER | Floor Plan Options | Bathroom Ideas & Planning | Bathroom |

And here is a picture you could play around with to see why it doesn't work. If you don't have any software to play with you can just print out this photo and cut out the fixtures and move them around to see there is no way the 4 x 6 size is going to work. I put the doors in the two places you showed, but obviously you choose one. Do you not have any extra room to make this bigger? If you don't, do you need a shower in there? It would be fine for a powder room, just toilet and sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom layout suggestions-4x6_24sq_ft.jpg  

Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM

5,218 posts, read 8,024,060 times
You can get a 3/4 bath in a 6' x 6' space with a corner shower and toilet and sink on adjacent (perpendicular) walls.

Or you can squeeze a very long and narrow 3/4 bath with a center door opening (either outward or pocket) directly to a sink on the facing wall and toilet and shower on opposite, narrow end walls- that takes about 3'6 x 8'6, but this size is absolutely minimum, more like one you would find on a boat or motorhome.

Another trick is to not have a shower door or pan- just tiled walls, a floor drain (sloped floor) and a shower curtain attached to walls and ceiling which gives you a little more space- or at least the shower door clearance issue is solved.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 PM

29,825 posts, read 65,508,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Another trick is to not have a shower door or pan- just tiled walls, a floor drain (sloped floor)
and a shower curtain attached to walls and ceiling which gives you a little more space-
or at least the shower door clearance issue is solved.
You've seen my RV?
This approach will also allow you to have the **cleanest** toilet in 5 counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating