U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:28 AM

50,730 posts, read 40,119,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
KA, do you have any photos in the house forum showing some of your antiques? Don't you just love the wood of some of those pieces?

I'd love to see your buffet...mine is French as well, Louis XV (I think). Circa 1865-1880. I might have said granite, but perhaps it is marble. What is the style of yours?

We also found, at a different place, 2 bedside tables (walnut) with a similar-colored marble top (or granite). It's like a dark or tanned dusty rose color. Actually, it's very similar to that top on our French buffet!

I particularly like our buffet deux corps...the carving on it is simply jaw-dropping! There's almost a 3-d relief on a dressed man on one upper door, and grand lady on the other. Spindles, rails, and fluted set-on columns also add to the allure of the piece.

If I acquire an "open concept" kitchen (or build one), I'd like to incorporate the buffet between the kitchen and dining room somehow.

If yours is in eyesight from the kitchen, that's probably beautiful! Again, I really liked the elements and design of your kitchen- and actually, the price is not really that bad at all. I've seen other kitchens (friends in Texas) that went much higher...most likely due to the enormous size!

thanks again for posting - I've enjoyed seeing the progress and transition into the final, beautiful product!
Here are some pictures of some of the antiques we've collected - the table and chairs came from Belgium, the buffet is French but was bought here in Texas, the dower chest is English, the walnut armoire is German, as well as the green painted armoire. The date on the green painted armoire is 1796, and we had this item appraised. The paint is original! The appraiser said that this piece must have been kept inside ever since it was built because it's in such excellent condition.

We have several of the Art Nouveau wooden signs from Germany but this one is my favorite. It says something like this: "He who grabs the golden ring and thinks only golden days lie ahead, does not know the darkness that lies in the hearts of men."

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 AM

673 posts, read 597,831 times
Whoops! Just saw your post - gorgeous! So, the buffet must work beautifully with the transition between the kitchen and dining!!!

Will look at these closer tonight...(packing, bids, etc. all starting in a few minutes!).

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 AM

10,322 posts, read 19,765,521 times
Awhile back in this conversation, there was the topic of painting wooden trim white. Should you decide to do that, if a layer of either shellac or some other clear finish was put on it, then it would be easier to remove the white paint later if someone wants to.

But, don't sweat the "resale" factor too much. The color of the trim isn't likely going to be the "make or break" factor in if a house sells.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,928,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The 2nd "ca. 1910" kitchen in this link is the style I would try to recreate, if I remodel my kitchen.

My house was built in 1902, but the kitchen was remodeled in the early 1950s. When I bought the house, everything in the kitchen was painted a dingy white:

So, because I just wanted to get it functional, I thoroughly cleaned it, and threw on some quick paint colors, to add some life.

Finally, I would encourage the OP to consider keeping an original period kitchen, if in usable condition, intact. It's only original once, and nothing will go better with an original, period house, than its original kitchen.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 73,520,385 times
Default Hey you might think I am nuts but check this out...

The other night I was watching the orignal 1973 Exorcist. The kitchen is 99% what I see in most up-to-date homes! Seriously check out this still --

The big Garland range with raised griddle / broiler is basically unchanged from the Bluestar {well if you look close you can see where they sneaked in te switches for the convection ovens} (because the parent company, Prizer-Painter is the same BlueStar Product Fact Sheet ...)

I see tons of high end kitchen that have the nicer and very functional butcher block --

Even fairly conservative / mainstream firms like GE market commercial style hoods these days --

Granted, the Exorcist house was allegedly some kind of diplomatic residence in Georgetown, so maybe the "kitchen" was not just commercial grade but also setup for use by servants/ State dinner functions, but as far as "timeless" goes I would say that things that look remarkable up-to-date 40+ years out are quite impressive...

Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 PM

50,730 posts, read 40,119,236 times
Awesome pics, folks!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,084,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
My house as it now stands was built in the 1870's with major renovation c 1910. When doing the reno work, kitchen wall color was a dark muted green first, then blue, then white, then yellow, then pink, then yellow, then white and then what we call contractor beige. It's now back to white semi-gloss to improve light reflection.

Here's a good example of a Victorian kitchen.

An Authentic Victorian Kitchen Design - Old-House Online - Old-House Online

And then on to Edwardian times.
https://emblah13.wordpress.com/2013/...and-interiors/
^^^love those two kitchens.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,289,756 times
Ohhhh, I am so sick of that Tuscan look!!! I don't know what's popular in Chicago either, but I know in NYC and Miami the look is super-sleek and contemporary.....in my former hometown of Phila., most high-end homes were traditional in style, nothing too trendy and nothing too colorful. Most are now avoiding granite since it's become so "every-man" -- they will use marble or soapstone. When I updated the kitchen of my 1960 mid-century-modern rancher, I went with a modern look to match the style of the home. I do agree that kitchen renovations often do not reflect the style of the home, but I think you should consider what's popular in your area and would be most sellable if you had to sell.

I think it's a rare kitchen that doesn't look dated eventually. The good news is, kitchen trends last a long time, because no one has the money to renovate a kitchen every few years. I remember when granite started becoming the rage (at least in my area) and that was early 2000's. I am very sick of the "neutral beige" look with the tumbled marble and all that, but the current trend of mosaic backsplashes will really show their age. (Of course, I just installed one because I love them!)

Old 12-22-2014, 06:42 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,084,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The 2nd "ca. 1910" kitchen in this link is the style I would try to recreate, if I remodel my kitchen.

My house was built in 1902, but the kitchen was remodeled in the early 1950s. When I bought the house, everything in the kitchen was painted a dingy white:
So, because I just wanted to get it functional, I thoroughly cleaned it, and threw on some quick paint colors, to add some life.
Finally, I would encourage the OP to consider keeping an original period kitchen, if in usable condition, intact. It's only original once, and nothing will go better with an original, period house, than its original kitchen.
I would love to have that type of kitchen and would have so much fun fixing it up. Does it have
a pantry (they usually did). We've been looking around to buy a small house (about the same age
as your pic) but the kitchens have all been typically (granite, SS, etc...)

Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 AM

4,986 posts, read 7,928,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I would love to have that type of kitchen and would have so much fun fixing it up. Does it have
a pantry (they usually did). We've been looking around to buy a small house (about the same age
as your pic) but the kitchens have all been typically (granite, SS, etc...)
It doesn't have a pantry. But, being a single guy, the cabinets are much larger than I need. In addition to the cabinets you can see in the pictures, there is another similar set of cabinets to the left of the sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating