U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,426,369 times

Advertisements

In what seems like an endless stream of decisions, I now have to pick out blinds for my contemporary, open kitchen/dining/living room, as well as my office. I'm going to go with cellular shades for practical reasons (they have a nice R-value), but am struggling with picking colors. Both rooms feature tons of glass (the kitchen/dining/living room is, for all practical purposes, an entire wall of glass), so the decision is not an insignificant one.

My existing color scheme is like this:

Kitchen/Dining/Living Room:

-- The walls and trim are SW Antique White (Antique White SW 6119 - White Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams)
-- My appliances are stainless steel
-- My floors are natural hickory
-- My doors and cabinetry are deep, dark espresso (custom color, no link, but very, very dark brown)
-- My furniture is gray/blue/green

Office:

-- Walls, trim, flooring, and doors all the same as above
-- Desk is glass with espresso legs
-- Couch is striped gold and green

I'm not sure if I should make the blinds "disappear" by matching with trim and wall color or try to coordinate with my furniture.

Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,723 times
According to me white colour we be best for all.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 AM

14,612 posts, read 397,370 times
I went the match route. Walls are textured in a linen color. All blinds are exactly the same color and have texture, some with blackout backing, some translucent, mounted inside the window opening, no-string where possible. It does not compete with the views, darkens where necessary such as bedrooms and does not compete for wall space with artwork. It took some searching, taking samples home and serious price negotiations at 30 windows. I went with Lowes which was unexpected. Using their measuring and installation service (got a credit for measuring at purchase of blinds) was well worth it as some overlong blinds had to be replaced twice.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,563,619 times
When I purchased blinds, I bought white ones that went with my trim---not that I was trying to do that but it just ended up that way. I wanted white blinds because I felt like no matter how I changed the room up, they'd still work in the space. Plus my space is on the dark-side so I wanted to lighten it up. (I don't get a lot of natural light.)

Old 12-16-2014, 09:23 PM

21,981 posts, read 12,999,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
When I purchased blinds, I bought white ones that went with my trim---not that I was trying to do that but it just ended up that way. I wanted white blinds because I felt like no matter how I changed the room up, they'd still work in the space. Plus my space is on the dark-side so I wanted to lighten it up. (I don't get a lot of natural light.)

My place isn't dark but otherwise, this - I went with the version of white that was the best match with my trim work. I like white trim and don't see myself ever changing that so the cellular shades will continue to match well even if I change out paint colors (currently a medium gray - not too dark but dark enough to provide a nice contrast to the trim work). One thing to note, I have room darkening in the bedrooms and light filtering in the other rooms, and because of the room darkening lining, the shades are slightly different colors. Not a huge difference, but there is one, so if you are getting both types, make sure to look at the samples of both in the different locations in your home.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM

25,324 posts, read 16,297,798 times
It is hard to recommend for you, but I can tell you what I have done. I put shades recently in my bedrooms. In the guest bedroom, I ended up using a light gray that blended very well with the wall color. The white trim around the windows is a nice contrast. I intend to put sheers up in there next year.

In the master, I keyed the color of the blinds to the light toned furniture. I used a lighter tone, but it speaks to the tones in the furniture. The walls are a deep blue. Trim is bright white. I have decided to put sheers in that room as well.

In all my rooms, I had the Hunter Douglas guy show me what he had, and I could usually tell when he held up the samples what my eye preferred. For such a major investment, I recommend using a local vendor who can bring samples in all price points, and which you can examine in the rooms where they will be hung.

For shades, I like lighter tones in general. For blinds I have gone with medium wood tones which speak to my darker wood floors. Every house is different. Take your time deciding. This is an important purchase which will set the tone for everything else.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,426,369 times
Thanks all for the tips.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 AM

4,613 posts, read 6,269,835 times
I agree with the white or cream (whatever blends best) and I second that you need to watch out for room-darkening v. light-filtering. I just put up honeycomb shades in my bedroom (which wlll be covered by linen-look sheers) and I like the softer look of the light-filtering.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:18 PM

140 posts, read 109,344 times
I worked for a shade shope and noticed that white was the predominate color of choice in affluent homes. I asked my boss, and he said the home owners did not want the view from the street to have a different color shade in each of the windows.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 4,207,728 times
Another vote for white. As blinds become a permanent part of the house, white will appeal to new owners easier than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating