U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Itz Itz started this thread

714 posts, read 1,975,381 times

Advertisements

I'm working on redecorating my bedroom and am having a hard time on deciding on the length of the drapes. The room is small but not tiny tiny. It currently fits a queen bed, nightstand, 6 drawer dresser and dressing table with plenty of walk room.
it is kind of a long and narrow room. I bought a coral color comforter and have been beside myself because I don't like the colors that compliment it so I got a ton of swatches to look for a good color for new drapes. (my new comforter is coral and my current drapes are a spice color, not a pretty combo).

Question is... should I bring the drapes to the floor or should I make them shorter to make the space appear larger?
The current drapes are 55" wide and 85" long. The new drapes I'm thinking would be 66" wide and 45" long. The window is 50" wide and 35" long. My current drapes let in to much light in on the sides so I want to extend them out width wise more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 AM

39,172 posts, read 48,130,659 times
It is hard to tell anything without a picture of the room and the bedspread. Is anything in front of your window?
My guess is that either length will look good, its just personal preference, as long as the short ones go just to the apron only, not some random place between the sill and the floor.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 AM

1,318 posts, read 1,682,244 times
I have a similar size bedroom with standard ceiling height and a sliding patio door out to a sunroom. I just had custom drapes made for the patio door and she mounted the hardware at 88 inches. It actually makes the room look/feel larger because it gives the feeling of more height.

If your currant drapes are going to be trashed, I would hack them off to 45" long and see if you visually like the length. If you do, go with the shorter length for your new drapes. If you don't want to destroy your current drapes, hit a thrift shop for some cheap ones you can cut up- so you can visually see if you like the length before you spend money on new drapes.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM

3,406 posts, read 4,729,897 times
I would always go to the floor. And if you are doing new curtains I would put them at the ceiling with a double rod and sheers under them.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

25,446 posts, read 16,391,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I'm working on redecorating my bedroom and am having a hard time on deciding on the length of the drapes. The room is small but not tiny tiny. It currently fits a queen bed, nightstand, 6 drawer dresser and dressing table with plenty of walk room.
it is kind of a long and narrow room. I bought a coral color comforter and have been beside myself because I don't like the colors that compliment it so I got a ton of swatches to look for a good color for new drapes. (my new comforter is coral and my current drapes are a spice color, not a pretty combo).

Question is... should I bring the drapes to the floor or should I make them shorter to make the space appear larger?
The current drapes are 55" wide and 85" long. The new drapes I'm thinking would be 66" wide and 45" long. The window is 50" wide and 35" long. My current drapes let in to much light in on the sides so I want to extend them out width wise more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I pull my curtains up higher than the window, whenever possible, and let them fall to the floor. I wouldn't put a short drape in any room. You want that nice vertical line. Shorter curtains or drapes will not make the room look larger, but it will look odd.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Itz Itz started this thread

714 posts, read 1,975,381 times
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I've attached a picture of what it is currently. I'm working on artwork to fill the walls and still debating on black and white or color prints (from my own photography). The new curtain color will be a grew in raw silk which shows good with the new comforter and the walls. Redecorating is coming and the one thing I won't get rid of is my green lamp, which is an antique and I love it.

Last edited by Itz; 12-16-2014 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Added photo

Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,286,163 times
In my opinion, you should get 95" curtains and raise the rod accordingly so they reach the floor, so as mentioned above, you have the illusion of height. You should get a light color in a light material, as the ones you have now look heavy and actually make the room look smaller. Your comforter is a pretty color so you don't want the drapes to compete. Get some artwork and throw pillows in complimentary colors but keep the drapes soft and neutral. Bed/Bath has some pretty linen-y type sheers with grommets that are a soft look for the bedroom. Perhaps you can mount a privacy shade or blinds inside the window frame under the sheers.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:19 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,286,163 times
Also, are you going to paint the room? I don't know if it's just the photo, but it sort of looks like a gold or yellow now? Does not compliment the beautiful color of the comforter, IMO.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM

3,406 posts, read 4,729,897 times
Pictures always help! Can only see one picture and two others are shown with the broken icons. Anyway, are you getting a dust ruffle under the comforter? Since your bed and curtains are so close they should be the same color family in my opinion.

I see now why you are questioning the length of the curtains because the window is close to the bed.

Can you rearrange the bedroom with the bed under the window? Then you could pull the curtains to the side and put a nice thick wood blind over the window.

If you can't put the bed under the window then maybe just some shorter curtains that are grommeted and fall nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Drapes for bedroom?-screen-shot-2014-12-22-1.44.59   Drapes for bedroom?-screen-shot-2014-12-22-1.41.27  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating