Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 PM
gg7 gg7 started this thread

4 posts, read 5,410 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am not very good with decoration ideas so I need advice please.
I have a 2 story home and I need to add possibly a console table and decorative vase etc by the stairs in the foyer. The problem is that my stair railings are a light color and most of the console table that I can find are dark colored. I am not sure if it is ok to put a darker colored decoration pieces with light stairs.
So my questions are:
- does the console table need to match the color of the stair railings?
- if I were to get a decor vase/planter what color should they be to compliment the stairs.

Also any other ideas (pics) that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
here are the pics of my foyer.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with foyer decoration-img_20141217_161522.jpg   Need help with foyer decoration-img_20141217_161551.jpg   Need help with foyer decoration-img_20141217_161601.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I tend to agree that a console table that is similar in color to stained railings / trim is a good idea IF you go with stained -- http://jaipupdate.com/appealing-desi...orating-ideas/

That said there are LOTS of nice options in PAINTED console tables and given that the space is kind of mono-chromatic with white doors / white trim / white flooring perhaps a vibrant table would be nice contrast -- https://www.google.com/search?q=brig...w=1554&bih=888

Scale /detail is probably more important than anything else -- here is nice idea of trinkets on a hall table that looks properly sized -- Also note dark stain on table and rail that is not painted...

Here is something that strikes me as too intricate for such a space --

BTW -- that second vase is apparently worth a fortune -- Family battle over ugly vase Happy shopping!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Thank you so much for your valuable input, nice to have a confirmation that the table would look better matching the stair rails.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Actually, I don't think you need to match wood tones. A painted piece would be lovely though too. I think I'd want a different toned piece in the foyer, but it should be a standout piece--and functional too.

Instead of focusing on the tones of the piece, why not focus on pleasing lines and functionality? Do you need storage? Shelves below? Will you put mail there? Keys? How will the piece work for the functions you need.

A long time ago I read that if you love something, and if you love other things, they will usually look good together. In other words, what you love has some common denominator with all the other things you love that allows for them to look good together.

This isn't foolproof if you truly love quite diverse things. But most of us don't--we tend to love things that have some similarity. All this to say, choose a piece you really love. And broaden what you want to consider. How about a painted dresser or a book case?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM

Points well taken, thanks for your input.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
In the corner by the stairs, I'd do a large jardiniere (sp?). Hang pictures or whatever on the wall.

Now over by the door........I personally can't stand coat and shoe clutter.. or any other clutter at the front door. What I would do is ditch both the coat tree and the seat and get a tall hall tree with bench. I'd put it on the wall adjacent to the door you use the least.

All I have near my front door is an Eastlake table with a marble top.. and a marble pillar on the other side which holds a lipstick plant. I have sidelights on both sides of the front door.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
When it comes to "messy coats & shoes by the front door" there are some surprisingly clever solutions:

Bench Coat Rack | NJ Concealment Furniture Apparently this kind of furniture is also useful for "home protection"...

Remember those big TV hutches? I have seem folks repurpose those for foyer storage --

You can even "scale up" various cabinetry options --

Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I really don't like to see the bench, shoes and coat rack there, but if you have an active family that uses that door, I guess you need them? Could you reroute the kids through the back door? Opening the door with those shoes there would bother the heck out of me.
I'd like to see the bench and coat rack gone. I'd put a pretty little shallow table with a lamp where the bench is. Then I'd put a pretty decorative chest next to the stairs, facing the door.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM

Wow, more excellent ideas, clutter near the door is a real pet peeve of mine too.
We do have alot of traffic through this door with my teenage kids etc.
Perhaps with your valuable input I can convince my family to remove all this clutter.
Thanks for excellent idea, take care.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:07 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
Wow, more excellent ideas, clutter near the door is a real pet peeve of mine too.
We do have alot of traffic through this door with my teenage kids etc.
Perhaps with your valuable input I can convince my family to remove all this clutter.
Thanks for excellent idea, take care.
Oh it's real easy. Fine them. Everytime they use the area as a dump zone, confiscate whatever it is. To get it back, they need to pay a fine.

Shoes and backpacks go to their rooms. Coats and jackets into the coat closet or to their rooms. The entry hall is for visitors use only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating