U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 05:13 AM

258 posts, read 587,524 times

Advertisements

We are not too fond of the brick in this fireplace. The family room needs any brightening up it can get - it's a tad bit dark. Any ideas? I was thinking of painting it same color as the walls . White might be too 'white', I think? What brands of paint should I use? Any special techniques with painting over brick? Any ideas about giving it a textured look or maybr covering with marble - not sure how much the latter would cost? I would love some suggestions or ideas. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for redoing this fp-image.jpg  

Last edited by tango14; 12-17-2014 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 PM

25,441 posts, read 16,391,080 times
I think your pic is posted upside down.

Make your fireplace the feature or focal point in your room. Don't paint it the color of the walls. Figure out a way to update it. You might want to reface it, or change the hearth.

Try doing a google search for brick fireplaces, and find images you like. You can save them in Pinterest for inspiration.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,955,545 times
The pic comes out correct when you click on it. If you want the fireplace to look like crap, paint it. If you want it to look like a million bucks, call your local brick supply house and ask for a name of a mason that can stain it for you. They can stain brick to look like new in most any color you like and it looks fabulous. The difference is the mortar is not painted the same color as the brick which looks cheap. Once the guy is finished, it will look like new brick and even you can't tell it's stain. There is also the choice of using multiple stain colors to get the desired effect like some bricks appearance.
TINTING BRICK FIREPLACES

Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 AM

13,423 posts, read 51,447,442 times
Cheap- paint

Not so cheap- Recote (was originally developed by Boral Brick)

Want a centerpiece for the room? Rip out the brick and do marble- full pieces. Three pc's for the surround, one piece for a flat hearth, 4 pcs. for a raised hearth. The marble cost will be determined by the type/color you pick. Most common- Crema Marfil, Dark Empedora, Carrara, and Black Absolute (granite).

Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The pic comes out correct when you click on it. If you want the fireplace to look like crap, paint it. If you want it to look like a million bucks, call your local brick supply house and ask for a name of a mason that can stain it for you. They can stain brick to look like new in most any color you like and it looks fabulous. The difference is the mortar is not painted the same color as the brick which looks cheap. Once the guy is finished, it will look like new brick and even you can't tell it's stain. There is also the choice of using multiple stain colors to get the desired effect like some bricks appearance.
TINTING BRICK FIREPLACES
Thanks. I actually don't like the brick look - doesn't seem to go with the rest of the home, decor. So I want to do away with that. Wondered if I can even out the grout with brick mortar and then prime it with maybe a oil based primer and then paint it ( satin ?) to give a smooth look. I too don't like the painted brick look but here I am looking for a smooth finish. Do you think this might work and look nice.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Cheap- paint

Not so cheap- Recote (was originally developed by Boral Brick)

Want a centerpiece for the room? Rip out the brick and do marble- full pieces. Three pc's for the surround, one piece for a flat hearth, 4 pcs. for a raised hearth. The marble cost will be determined by the type/color you pick. Most common- Crema Marfil, Dark Empedora, Carrara, and Black Absolute (granite).
This is something that would be nice to do - but just to get a very rough idea - will the cost run into thousands or hundreds? In the final look, I wonder how this compares to just smoothing out and painting it. I am sure the marble will look really nice but if it will justify the cost.

Will look into the recote, thanks.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM

21,992 posts, read 13,051,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
Thanks. I actually don't like the brick look - doesn't seem to go with the rest of the home, decor. So I want to do away with that. Wondered if I can even out the grout with brick mortar and then prime it with maybe a oil based primer and then paint it ( satin ?) to give a smooth look. I too don't like the painted brick look but here I am looking for a smooth finish. Do you think this might work and look nice.
No.

If you want to change the surface, do it the way K'ledgeBldr said and put the surface you want on it. Otherwise, it will always look like bricks that you tried to make look like something else.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM

29,872 posts, read 65,642,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
We are not too fond of the brick in this fireplace.
I was thinking of painting it ...
NO! Never paint brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or