U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM

21,992 posts, read 13,064,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd run that by an engineer (or the manufacturer) before I hung a honking big piece of stone/whatever countertop on there. It's providing support in the "wrong" direction.
Hidden brackets are pretty common these days. The perpendicular piece goes inside the wall, but in the picture that was linked, it's hidden by drywall.

You can see more details here.

Hidden Countertop Supports and Brackets - Standard Plus for granite, marble, quartz and other solid surface materials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:03 PM

3,555 posts, read 5,393,177 times
yep. they're a good option.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:47 PM

8,397 posts, read 5,967,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
If they need them per the manufacturer's instructions then yes it is definitely worth having them. But I can understand the desire to not have them - when we redo our counters I will make sure the overhang is within the manufacturer's limits such that we do not need them because I am going for a very streamlined kitchen.

However, when needed, something like this is a great alternative to corbels if you are going for a more modern look with no visible supports:
These are the brackets that I would have preferred to have installed before they put the overhang in place. Well, they told me after and then told me that there was no need to take the countertops off. Lowe's ended up providing me with 4 Federal Brace steel brackets.

I guess since my overhang is right on the border on bracket support requirement they want me to have them. They are coming back out next week to add something else to I will have them check the brackets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating