Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times

Advertisements

I need some help. I had quartz countertops install in my kitchen. I have a bar top with a overhang on a drywall. The countertops were installed and have about a 9 inch overhang. When the installer came out to measure the template, he didn't mention anything about support brackets for the overhang. So once the 2 countertop installer came out to install the countertop, they told me after they finished that I needed at least 3 support brackets.

I was not happy because I didn't know anything about this before hand and I prefer brackets that are not visible or are in the way under the counter. There are invisible brackets they could have installed before they finished laying the countertop overhang.

I did purchase 3 brackets that support 600lbs just in case I have no other choice since the countertops have already been finished but I wanted to know my other options.

By the way, this was done through Lowe's. Otherwise, the countertops look great. I've researched online and found a few sites that say quartz needs support if there is more than a 10 inch overhang.

What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
You should really contact the manufacturer. Local contractors are notoriously overly conservative with overhangs (and some of their reasons are legit in terms of covering their own butts).

It depends on the thickness of your piece, whether you have a plywood subtop, and the layout of the kitchen/where the overhang is. In general, if you have an overhang like the kind yours sounds like (quartz on top of cabinets, backing framed drywall, then an overhang, the rule of thumb is often that the overhang be <1/3 of the depth of that entire top surface. Manufacturer's tend to get more specific however. For example, Caeserstone says that to have *no supports* required: for a 2cm top that the overhang needs to be <8", for a 2cm with 5/8" subtop the overhang needs to be <12", and for a 3cm piece the overhang needs to be <16".

Once again, I would either contact the manufacturer or look up their specific installation manual. That is what any warranty will be held against. Keep in mind that these overhangs are based on what they would consider normal use. Normal use does not include sitting or standing on the overhang.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
They haven't sent me the warranty packet yet. They told me it would come in the mail in a few weeks. The engineer actually called the Lowe's manager and instructed them to give me 4 L brackets with lag bolts to install in studs. So I assume that should take care of it. I was just a bit confused because I have no clue about counter top installs. Thanks for the information.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
They haven't sent me the warranty packet yet. They told me it would come in the mail in a few weeks. The engineer actually called the Lowe's manager and instructed them to give me 4 L brackets with lag bolts to install in studs. So I assume that should take care of it. I was just a bit confused because I have no clue about counter top installs. Thanks for the information.
np.

And FYI, you don't have to wait for the warranty information. Typically the actual install manuals are posted on the manufacturer's website or you can contact them directly and ask about them. I don't know that a warranty packet will get into the same information we are discussing here.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Understand that you don't want the corbels but wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution than risk it cracking? I have one in the center of my breakfast bar and I asked about 3.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Understand that you don't want the corbels but wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution than risk it cracking? I have one in the center of my breakfast bar and I asked about 3.
If they need them per the manufacturer's instructions then yes it is definitely worth having them. But I can understand the desire to not have them - when we redo our counters I will make sure the overhang is within the manufacturer's limits such that we do not need them because I am going for a very streamlined kitchen.

However, when needed, something like this is a great alternative to corbels if you are going for a more modern look with no visible supports:

Old 12-19-2014, 04:55 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Funny you should post this, because just today I lifted the extra piece of quartz that was cut out for my cooktop. I could not believe how heavy it is. I would definitely err on the side of caution and give your counter as much support as possible.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Wow, I can't believe they didn't tell you that when they measured. But anyway, I'd be ticked off too -- but I suppose I'd put the supports in just to be on the safe side. When you put stools in front of them, they won't be noticeable anyway.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
However, when needed, something like this is a great alternative to corbels if you are going for a more modern look with no visible supports:
I'd run that by an engineer (or the manufacturer) before I hung a honking big piece of stone/whatever countertop on there. It's providing support in the "wrong" direction.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd run that by an engineer (or the manufacturer) before I hung a honking big piece of stone/whatever countertop on there. It's providing support in the "wrong" direction.
I mean, I'm an engineer :P That setup should work fine - i've seen it done exactly like that before and it's strong.

However, the picture I posted isn't the best example anyway. It was just the first one I saw on a quick search when posting that day. Obviously it had a raised breakfast bar area which is different than the vision I got from the OP but it was just a sample.

A better example of what I meant to express is something this this:

or

But there are several ways to do essentially the same thing with these flat steel supports that tie into the cabinetry or other wood blocking as available. Obviously if you are going with a huge overhang you will want to be more deliberate about your support design. But for people just wanting stuff for peace of mind, a little bit goes a long way.

These kind of supports for 'invisible' overhangs to avoid corbels are actually fairly common. They're a great idea if you're on the fence, or within the manufacturer's recommendations but want something "just in case" anyway. Of course you need something like that planned beforehand and not after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating