Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 AM

336 posts, read 591,889 times

Advertisements

I would keep the TV location over the fireplace. Get a bigger TV and install a full articulating TV mount so that you can angle the TV for watching from the kitchen area. I would also put some kind of cabinets in the niche and run a 2" flexible conduit (hollow tube) from the side of the cabinets behind the wall to the TV location, run HDMI, Ethernet (if available) and power cable through the conduit to hide the wires, and put your cable/satellite/etc boxes inside the cabinet. The drywall cut & patch for the conduit run should eventually be concealed by the cabinets and the TV once installed.

Last edited by Panu16; 12-24-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
That is probably the worst living area design I have ever seen in my entire life. You really don't have any options in regard to what you need to do, pretty much what others have already discussed here.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
consider mounting the tv on the wall in the niche using a mount that pulls out and swivels. You can angle it when watching tv then push it back for company.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:45 AM

524 posts, read 574,592 times
I don't like over the fireplace or in the niche for this room. Both give really odd angles for TV viewing. It is unconventional, but I would put the TV on a console in front of the window to the right of the fireplace. I like to be able to see the TV from the kitchen.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default TV over fireplace

Ours is mounted over the fireplace and on a swivel arm.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I don't like over the fireplace or in the niche for this room. Both give really odd angles for TV viewing. It is unconventional, but I would put the TV on a console in front of the window to the right of the fireplace. I like to be able to see the TV from the kitchen.
Sorry but no. Do not put the TV in front of the window!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:30 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Had the TV over the fireplace. Looked great in walk-throughs, etc. Found it was very uncomfortable when sitting and watching TV. I was having to look up. Neck ended up hurting.

The niche would be the best place but it is not centered and all furniture would have to shift toward the kitchen.

You might be stuck having the TV over the fire place. If so, get it as low on the wall as you can go. If you do not use the fireplace you might consider putting TV stand/TV in front of it. Yes, block it.

Also consider some nice built-in cabinets/computer station filling the niche. The cabinets could act as additional kitchen storage cabinets.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-24-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 11:01 AM

146 posts, read 293,763 times
Emm74- Why not? Those windows look out at neighboring homes so there is no view being blocked.

I have my tv in front of the window on a low console and it works well. We can enjoy the tv and fireplace at the same time.

We just finished painting and still need to hang art over the fireplace. We also broke a lampshade lol. And yes, we sooo need to update that fireplace surround!!
Attached Thumbnails
Living room dilemma-image.jpg  

Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
Emm74- Why not? Those windows look out at neighboring homes so there is no view being blocked.

I have my tv in front of the window on a low console and it works well. We can enjoy the tv and fireplace at the same time.

We just finished painting and still need to hang art over the fireplace. We also broke a lampshade lol. And yes, we sooo need to update that fireplace surround!!
I would have to agree with Emm on the 'no in front of the window'. To me, it would be the glare. At night this wouldn't be bad, but during the day, you will be staring at the TV with sunlight coming in directly behind the screen.

I would just leave the TV above the fireplace and as others have suggested, get a swivel mount so that you can rotate the TV in pretty much any direction. As for the niche where the desk is, I would have a carpenter custom make a built in dry bar.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 9,177 times
Hi!
For me you should put the tv in the niche on a chest or a tv stand because you can move it. The sofa I would put it in the angle so I would buy a bigger sofa to make this space more comfortable. I would put a little coffe table in front of the sofa with some decorations like candles to make this space more well-lighted. I would paint the walls white or cream colour. For the window you should use white curtains instead of rolling shutters. In the middle of the space you should put a bright carpet because the floor is dark. For donate some colour to your room you should use colorful pillow with lots of fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating