Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,692,521 times

Advertisements

I need opinions on how to handle this design. Below are 3 pictures - one shows the livingroom in it's current state with a laminate floor, another shows the room before the new floor with a sectional the prior owner had, the third is the floor plan for the 1st floor.

I'm very uncertain about the type and placement of seating and the placement of the TV in this room. As you can see in the picture with the wood floor, there is a build in niche for a TV. however this is offset from the center of the living room. The prior owners solved this by placing the TV over the fireplace a look that I'm not enamored with. The living room needs to have comfortable seating for 4 adults with side tables and/or coffee table. I like the sectional chase design (not necessarily the style) used by the prior owner but not sure if I would like it right or left handed.

The room gets a lot of light. Should I go with lighter colored seating to offset the floor, or would a darker color be alright?

Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Living room dilemma-living-room-wood.jpg   Living room dilemma-living-room-rug.jpg   Living room dilemma-1st-floor-flipped.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,944,747 times
I'd keep the TV over the fireplace, but get a larger one. That TV looks too small to be up on the wall that high above the fire place. What size is it? As for the cutout area, I'd put a bar area, desk (much nicer than the one in the picture), or a nice buffet there. Maybe some art work or a really nice mirror above it.
I'm not a big fan of sectionals because I think they look cheap, and they limit movement. I'd get a matching sofa and love seat with the 3 seat sofa facing the TV and the 2 seat love seat on the side wall. Then I'd put a chair and ottoman in the open area on the other side of the 3 seat sofa so it wouldn't limit movement in the area, but you'd have that extra seat. I drew a diagram in case I'm not making sense. Choose a nice paint color, and hang some stuff on the walls. I love the floor and the space. I don't love the two light up things next to the fireplace or the desk.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:42 PM

22,418 posts, read 47,402,095 times
I would take the TV down from over the fireplace (HATE that!), and get a larger one in that niche, with a nice console below for all the electronics.

I would have a sofa on the long wall, flanked by end tables. I would have 2 comfy chairs angled as Geneyus shows the one above.

I would get an area rug to define the space (and hide the floor) and window treatments to soften it up.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,692,521 times
The TV and the office set up are the prior owners. I have a 50" TV, that may overpower the fireplace. If I use the niche for the TV do I center it by taking some of the room from the dining area? The dining area will only have a small table with 4 chairs so I could visually move part of the room into the living room area.
If I go with a rug should I choose a light color and then dark furniture?
Forgive my questions, I'm really a novice at this.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,944,747 times
The TV above the fireplace is a newer trend. Some aren't fond of it. I think most younger people like it, and we love the look of it in our house. I was going to mention a rug as well, but I forgot to draw it. A rug would look nice in that large, hardwood area. I'd say any rug with a nice equal pattern would do... no crazy palm branches, spots, or zig zags.
I think if you put the TV in the cutout area, you're going to have a hard time using that space in front of the fireplace all the way up to the wall since your seating will be in front of the TV. My floor plan easily defines the spaces as separate areas even though there are no walls. With the TV in front of the fireplace, you can leave that space between the seating and the kitchen for a nice dining table and chairs.
Looking at your floor plan, the cutout is directly across from the corner of two walls. How would you put seating in front of the TV there? I wouldn't.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:15 PM

22,418 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
The TV and the office set up are the prior owners. I have a 50" TV, that may overpower the fireplace. If I use the niche for the TV do I center it by taking some of the room from the dining area?
Nothing can be centered with the floorplan you posted.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM

777 posts, read 1,867,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'd keep the TV over the fireplace, but get a larger one.
A larger TV over the fireplace isn't necessarily a solution. In fact, regardless if the TV's location, whether above the fireplace or on a TV stand, viewing distance is key (Google for HDTV viewing distance). The optimally-sized TV for the distance may be smaller, equal to, or larger than the TV shown in the pics.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,962,709 times
I don't understand how anyone in a seated position can comfortably watch a tv which is positioned over a fireplace. The neck strain isn't worth it.

TV should go in the niche on some sort of console/chest which provides additional storage.

I wouldn't buy any sofa/sectional which is bulky. I'd look for very streamlined pieces. A regular 83" sofa....and two chairs. Would be my personal preference.

I can't stand a lot of furniture cluttering up a room.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Because of the layout, I'd keep the TV over the fireplace, and arrange seating around it. That is your built in focal point. I agree that this isn't ideal, but with your layout, I think it would work best. The present TV is hung too high. Either lower it or as a previous poster suggested, buy a bigger one. You might even want to lower a bigger one.

I see book cases in the niche, unless you have no other room for the desk. If you must have a work area in the living area, find a nicer desk, as someone has mentioned. Your desk chair could be nice enough to also be used for extra seating.

I think the big sectional look is fine for a family. They can all sit together. If this is not your situation, I'd ask myself if I really wanted a sectional. I mean, they are great to recline in. But you don't have a lot of flexibility with one. With the TV over the fireplace, perhaps you should consider a reclining sofa. You can get all styles now. I do think the sectional in the picture is too big for the space.

You have shiny darker floors and pale walls. If the walls will remain pale, then do use some dark pieces of furniture in the room. As it is, there is too big a disconnect between the darker floor, and the walls and ceilings. You could use darker leather or other upholstery and some bold art or a bolder modern print at the windows. But not every piece in the room has to be dark.

Before tackling a room redo, you should decide what you want this room to do for you. Or, phrased another way, what do you want to do in the room? And how do you want it to feel. Then your solutions develop from those decisions.

Have fun making your new space your own home.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:27 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
I don't think the TV in the niche works well because it's so far off center and you'd need to put your furniture into the dining room area in order to watch comfortably if the tv was in the niche. While it's not my favorite look, I'd go with the TV over the fire place (although a bit lower than mounted in the photo) and put a piece of furniture or add a built in to the niche. Sometimes you have to work with what you have and just go with it, and to me, this is one of those times.

As for the furniture, if you get a sectional with chaise, I would put the chaise on the opposite side from that photo. However, personally, I'm not really a fan of a sectional in a living room. Not that I think people should have "formal" living rooms, but I think they are just too big and bulky (even the smaller modern ones) and they don't allow for any rearrangement as needed. And while they can be comfortable, they actually take away seating space. I'd be more likely to with something along the lines of what Geneyus suggested. You could get a large ottoman to put in front of the sofa/loveseat that can be used as either an ottoman or coffee table, for added comfort for those who want to put their feet up while watching tv, but still allowing a more "formal" use (for lack of a better word) for entertaining and conversation instead of tv watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating