Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

I changed my mantle today. I put up a simple display of pottery. It looks spare and wintry to me. My foyer table has a simple display of greenery in a basket, a candlestick and a dove shaped candle cup. My dining table has an antique stoneware punch bowl filled with glitter balls I found at Pier 1, and brass candlesticks.

I'll add a few hearts around in Feb. And I'll find a way to add fresh greenery in the spring. I imagine the pottery will come down sometime in March.

I intend to put a tray of candle cups on my coffee table. I saw this in the Pottery Barn Catalog, and I thought it would be a nice touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I changed my mantle today. I put up a simple display of pottery. It looks spare and wintry to me. My foyer table has a simple display of greenery in a basket, a candlestick and a dove shaped candle cup. My dining table has an antique stoneware punch bowl filled with glitter balls I found at Pier 1, and brass candlesticks.

I'll add a few hearts around in Feb. And I'll find a way to add fresh greenery in the spring. I imagine the pottery will come down sometime in March.

I intend to put a tray of candle cups on my coffee table. I saw this in the Pottery Barn Catalog, and I thought it would be a nice touch.
This all sounds beautiful!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

does sound lovely! I would love to see pics and would love to share pics of mine thus far but my camera is not working

Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Check out these birch and oak "candles" that we just bought to play up our winter wonderland theme (NOT Christmas!) - they are pieces of wood with holes bored into them and vials of paraffin oil with fiberglass wicks inside the holes. I love them!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Check out these birch and oak "candles" that we just bought to play up our winter wonderland theme (NOT Christmas!) - they are pieces of wood with holes bored into them and vials of paraffin oil with fiberglass wicks inside the holes. I love them!
Lovely!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:53 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I will be tackling the de Christmasing of my house starting on Wednesday. I probably will not finish until the weekend as I have company leaving on Friday, so at best the lights will be shut off outside until they leave and I may get the outside down between my early rising and the time they get up. I must say I go back and forth between wanting the quiet solitude of winter motif after the busy Christmas decorations or the more whimsical to make me smile now that the winter months will be setting in. Somehow I want the subtle quiet look but no sooner do I get it then I need the pick me up of something fun. Such a dilemma.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will be tackling the de Christmasing of my house starting on Wednesday. I probably will not finish until the weekend as I have company leaving on Friday, so at best the lights will be shut off outside until they leave and I may get the outside down between my early rising and the time they get up. I must say I go back and forth between wanting the quiet solitude of winter motif after the busy Christmas decorations or the more whimsical to make me smile now that the winter months will be setting in. Somehow I want the subtle quiet look but no sooner do I get it then I need the pick me up of something fun. Such a dilemma.
I know - first world problems, right?

I admit that I LOVE vibrant colors, but I also really like change. If this makes sense, I love the vibrant colors more when I don't see them all the time. That's why I really enjoy my big closet under my stairs - that's where I keep things like pillows, throws, paintings, etc to change out for the seasons.

However, I hadn't really ever done the "winter" motif till this year. For me, the key to not being bored with it is TEXTURE rather than color. So I replaced the more colorful sofa pillows with very plush velvet ones and bought a matching opulent throw. Hence the birch wood candles. Also, I added some bare branches to the mantel, as well as a nice woven tray to the cocktail ottoman. I also added some candle holders in other places, that have cutouts so the candles twinkle inside of them.

Just some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating