Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 4,565 times

Advertisements

Hi, i am new to the forum and this is my first post.. me and my girlfriend are looking to give our boring living room a facelift and make it modern.

its a very small living room but we are hoping we can still make it a pleasant place to be

here are some pics.. hopefully you guys got some nice ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Help designing Living Room-image1.jpg   Help designing Living Room-image2.jpg   Help designing Living Room-image3.jpg   Help designing Living Room-image4.jpg   Help designing Living Room-image5.jpg  

Help designing Living Room-image6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
Are you looking to buy new furniture? New Paint? What is the primary purpose of the room? What style do you like? Answering these questions would be helpful.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Sorry I'm new here..

Primary purpose of this room is to watch a few movies and to entertain when we have our friends over..

Yes we are open to re-painting the room.

The style we would like would probably just be modern/ and or rustic. We are very open minded.

And yes we would consider buying new furniture.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:22 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
It seems fine to me, but as you say, a bit boring. Considering what you have already, I think the best bang for your buck would be a colorful rug to replace the monotone one. The large framed picture above the sectional needs to be moved to the left. It's cowering in the corner now. A nice big floor plant would look good in the space where the pet bed is and add interest to that space.

Nice crown molding!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I guess you better define what YOU mean by "modern".
To make that room modern, you would have to tear out all that lovely molding. That would be SUCH a shame...

Here are example of modern decorating...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mode...w=1536&bih=704

Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM

sorry sorry my fault.. I'm not into interior decorating so i don't know the lingo..

i want it look decent and a nice place to be.. i don't know what style just nice? sorry if i sound stupid

Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
You don't sound stupid... but you DO need to know what you are wanting.
So modern is NOT it?

What do you not like in the room now?
Can the TV be moved out of the doorway area and onto the wall?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
The couch is too large.

The walls are too dark.

Consider wall mounting the TV for space.

The rug is wrong for that space.

Consider blinds instead of curtains to make the window less 'heavy' looking.

That's my opinion.

DON'T take out that lovely craftsman trim!!!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 AM

I guess what I'm trying to say is, imagine it was your living room. what would you do with it/change to make it feel more alive and inviting. what colours would you choose? what style sofa would you have, etc. we just want it to bemore up to date so to say and not so boring.. i don't know what style I'm looking for. sorry for being tangly haha

Old 01-05-2015, 09:10 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
I'd get rid of the sectional and the coffee table. Buy a regular straight sofa and put it on the side wall - the pet bed wall - and center the picture over it. Add a few more pictures to go with it. Get a TV stand more in proportion to the size of the TV - the current bookcase is way too small. Put the TV at an angle in the corner on the left of the doorway to the entry hall. Get rid of the curtains and replace with blinds. You could probably get a small scale chair and place it in the area where the pet bed is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating