Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
...a lot of brand new and newer houses have wet bar in the basement.
I don't get it and, to me, it seems like a waste of space.
It's a better use of space than having that infrequent use clutter the upstairs.

Quote:
I would rather be above grounds if I am going to drink.
It's isn't about drinking... it's about entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfhveGa7lGU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
It's called convenience. If you don't like it, either buy another house, or don't use it once you buy it.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,977,124 times
I also find them very 70's - back in the 70's everyone had a bar in their basement, but no one ever used them. We had one and used it like a storage closet. For that reason, I find them sort of tacky and unappealing - it's a feature that most people wanted to get rid of when I was growing up. We entertain a lot and wouldn't want to do it in a basement - plus, what exactly is the bar for? Do people actually serve mixed drinks?? We usually have wine and soda - hardly needs a bar.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
I know half a dozen friends with bars in the basement,while it probably seemed like a good idea at the time not one of these friends use their bars and the area has become just an abandoned storage are
For most people Its just a novelty thing that wears off fast.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
I have been touring houses and noticed that a lot of brand new and newer houses have wet bar in the basement. I don't get it and, to me, it seems like a waste of space. I would rather be above grounds if I am going to drink. I get it that some people want to have an entertainment space in the basement. But to me I wouldn't have built a full big unmovable bar there. It just seems like an inefficient use of space to me. Do people like their drinks that much?

To each his own!
BEER ASSISTANT!!!

Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 PM

49,968 posts, read 63,265,686 times
It really depends upon how many family and friends are expected on a regular basis. I have a friend who still lives in the hometown where she and the husband went to high school. The husband has 6 brothers and they were all jocks. Most of them live nearby as well as several childhood friends. The basement bar/pool table scenario is the perfect place to put the zoo when they all get to watching football and drinking the adult beverages.
My husband and I, on the other hand would have no use for this set up at all.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,918,180 times
Basements are rare in New Orleans due to our high water table, so no wet bars in basements here. However, to me a wet bar anywhere is pretty unappealing because I don't drink or entertain.

This would be a feature that appeals to some people and not at all to others (like me). There are lots of features like that. For example, some people want a pool and others don't.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,684,239 times
Growing up in the upper Midwest bars in basements were very common in my neighborhood. As tweens and teens the basement was our hangout during the winter months. Some of the parents kept sodas and snacks in the bar for us kids, but after one parent walked in on a couple of really drunk 14 year olds almost everyone put a lock on the liquor cabinet.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,070,484 times
Growing up in the midwest, almost everyone I knew had a bar in the basement. My dad built one as well. Since most homes were around the 1,000 sft. range most people utilized the basement for additional living space to entertain. When my brother bought his house, having a bar in the basement was a big deal for him. He has hosted a few family Christmas parties and the bar came in handy. Other people I know installed full kitchens in their basement instead of a bar.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,146,515 times
Quote:
I have been touring houses and noticed that a lot of brand new and newer houses have wet bar in the basement. I don't get it and, to me, it seems like a waste of space. I would rather be above grounds if I am going to drink. I get it that some people want to have an entertainment space in the basement. But to me I wouldn't have built a full big unmovable bar there. It just seems like an inefficient use of space to me. Do people like their drinks that much?
When you have family members and/or friends over who want or need some quiet time, having the bar in the basement is a godsend. It allows people to sleep, nap, watch TV, or simply do something else without hearing all the noise.

Entertaining at home fell out of fashion by the end of the 80s and remained so for the most part during the 90s and 00s. Now that hipsters are old enough and with the recent trend of mixology, home bars are making a comeback. The only other option is to go to a bar before you hear Can I have a word with you in the kitchen...

Yes, many people do like their drinks that much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating