Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 PM

241 posts, read 386,653 times

Advertisements

While we're hot on the topic of upgrades, remodels, etc....

What options would you guys consider must have options to include in a new build spec house and which options would you not include to save cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
That's a tough one because everyone likes different things...I guess there are some things that most people would like, but for example when we bought our home, we didn't get the soft water loop because my wife doesn't like it...but most people probably would get that.

I think the general rule of thumb is to get structural stuff, because that's near impossible to do later sometimes, like 8' doors for example or arched doorways. At the same time though, sometimes if you don't get an upgrade when you buy the house, you'll probably never change it, such as kitchen cabinets.

One thing I would say is a must if a garage side access door. We had it at our old house and then didn't get it at the new house (was something like $1000 upgrade). Within a month of moving in we had a company come out and put one it, could not stand having to go out the front door and around the side, opening the gate, to throw out the trash.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 PM

480 posts, read 845,168 times
I'd break that down into five things. Structure, kitchen, appliances, floors, and utility.

Structure, remember that it's hard to make plumbing changes after the post-tensioned foundation is laid. Do all of your optional plumbing as rough-ins if necessary.

Kitchen, because your cabinets will usually carry thru the house, upgrade the wood quality. Consider colors and glazes, but don't go crazy. Ditto with the counters - try to find a way to work with the standard granite options.

Appliances are a matter of balancing your preferences. It may be easier to have the house delivered with the appliances in place. If you want to get the best deal, buy at Spencer's.

Floors are super expensive. If you get carpet, upgrade the pad. I don't see any reason to go crazy on flooring, because the cost can crush your budget, and at a certain point, it's something that you might want to replace after 5-8 years anyway.

Utility is the last category, because it is the one you can really use. This is the one to splurge on. Want a gas line to the barbecue? Do it. Want closet organizers? Do it. Just beware that you have to go to the appraiser at some point, and a lot of utility upgrades may not appraise.

Hope this helps. :-)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Custom built homes seem to be better then a track home I have been interested if anyone has tried Insulated concrete form homes. Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF): SmartBlock Insulating Concrete Form They seem to be very strong and the floor is sealed to the concrete wall termite resistance is very good.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
We built in 2012 (when we left phoenix for Raleigh in 2013). Semi custom with Toll Brothers.

Structural, electrical and plumbing changes are all expensive to do later. We added an Arcadia door to the Master bedroom, electric outlets under the BR sinks (to hide the hair dryer, electric toothbrush, etc). We did split sinks in the master bath. A few of our neighbors removed the bathtub from the master, and MANY (including us) left it in the master (for resale) but removed it in the guest shower. Comfort height toilets. Gas line to backyard for grill. Trey ceilings. We changed the shape of the island in the kitchen.

We used zero carpet in this house ( all wood and tile) so we upgraded flooring as it is expensive to remove and do later. Same with cabinets in kitchen and baths. We're huge fans of granite, so we upgraded, but I would certainly not say that was necessary. We upgraded the front door to glass after we discovered the cost to install a new one after the house was built. Ceiling fan outlets in all rooms. Expanded the family room and put stone on the fireplace.

We told them not to install bathroom mirrors after we discovered they glued the glass to the wall and then added the frames. We bought our own mirrors to avoid the glue.

Things we did afterwards that we could have purchased thru the builder but were cheaper from other vendors: closet organizers, laundry room cabinets, painting, screen in the patio (it's NC), additional landscaping, paver patio, outdoor lighting, carpentry (additional crown molding, wainscotting), certain appliances. All lighting fixtures, ceiling fans and bathroom fixtures were purchased and installed by a handyman cheaper than buying from the limited builder choices.

We made two HUGE mistakes that are now too expensive to rectify. 1. We should have upgraded to expand the covered patio. 2. I should have insisted on a composite sink. The builder didn't offer them, so we figured we could change it later. WRONG. Under mount sink under granite. I'm stuck with the crappy stainless unless I want to replace the huge slab of granite in the island.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-14-2015 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
I'd get a fireplace, or at least plumb for one. I don't like most builder finishes/surrounds, but maybe they'd have an upgrade package for that too.

Outside spaces would have to have electrical and gas in & ready to go--with more electrical available than I think I need because we always seem to come up with one more thing...

Expanded covered outdoor area--yes. Expands the house's square footage for relatively little cost.

With a national builder, probably not possible to choose my own flooring, but I'm picky about hardwood and tile and would either want to choose my own or probably go with one of their highest upgrades. I think flooring makes the biggest difference in the overall feel of the home.

Upgraded cabinets. The problem here is, especially with national builders, the midrange upgrades are often just the "staggering" plus a different stain color. You have to get into the really upper end options for anything that most people would consider custom/semi custom cabinets (because they have huge quantity discounts for their usual choices but may have to order and wait for anything really different, and they don't always have the installation crew that is used to doing custom trim etc.--it adds quite a bit of labor and can add wait time for them.) So this is a very expensive upgrade and will make most buyers pause. It would make me pause. Has to be, though.

Upgraded appliance package.

Tile shower. This is not cost-effective to pull out and have done later. Upgraded shower surround.

Central Vac if I still have my kids, with at least two crumb catchers in the kitchen. I don't care what it costs. I will never use the rest of the central vac except in the garage, but crumb catchers are worth any price.

Agreed to take the cash allowance and buy my own light fixtures, absolutely. You're going to switch them out anyway, one by one, down the road.

Upgrade concrete finish on driveway and front walk. I have never had upgraded concrete (I get excited about something as simple as exposed aggregate) or pavers, and I think it makes a nice impression when approaching the home.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
We made two HUGE mistakes that are now too expensive to rectify. 1. We should have upgraded to expand the covered patio. 2. I should have insisted on a composite sink. The builder didn't offer them, so we figured we could change it later. WRONG. Under mount sink under granite. I'm stuck with the crappy stainless unless I want to replace the huge slab of granite in the island.
That's one reason I didn't go with Granite in the kitchen went with Corian solid surface the sink was part of the counter top made it easy to clean on our last remodel. I hate under the setups because it gets hard to clean up under the counter top.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 AM

480 posts, read 845,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Comfort height toilets.
Oh YES! This was an inexpensive upgrade, and made a ridiculously big difference. I think it cost $140 per bathroom. Never cheap out on your throne.

Also, opt for higher bathroom vanities.

Oh, and the standard light-bar bathroom lighting? Replace it (with the cheapest alternate if you must), because that makes a big hole in your wall that has to be patched and repainted if you replace it later.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
I'm so over granite and stainless. I would never go that rout personally.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I'm so over granite and stainless. I would never go that rout personally.
I don't really care for granite but I don't know how you could improve on this range. What would you do instead?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
View detailed profiles of: