Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 AM

9 posts, read 9,201 times

Advertisements

I love the cushioned bench idea! I couldn't figure out what to put below the mirror so I just used one of the seats. A cushioned bench will be perfect!

There is a small wall with a closet behind the one chair, so I wouldn't be able to place the couch in front of it. I guess I am stuck with the couch in front of the window. On the left side (next to couch) is actually a two sided fireplace, separating kitchen and living room. I am trying to keep the space in front of the fireplace open so it can be used as a walk through.
House has a very open concept, which gives me a hard time decorating because I don't want to block any walkways or make it look cluttered.

Very excited about the cushioned bench concept! Thank you so much for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Here's what jumped out to me in my first few seconds of looking at the photo of your room:
1. It needs color, probably starting with sofa pillows.
2. It needs some green plants or floral arrangements (leaning toward green plants).
3. The mirror should be replaced with a great piece of art with color.
4. The windows need a colorful valance, something that would match pillows on the sofa.
5. The two chairs should be next to each other, across from the sofa.

Here's a website with a lot of photos that may give you some ideas:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/living-r...pops-of-color-

Last edited by kayanne; 01-23-2015 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 01-25-2015, 05:41 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think what you are missing is soul. Your room is very pleasing and tasteful. If you want your home to look like a Pottery Barn Catalog, then you have succeeded.
My feeling is you need pattern and some items that reflect yourself and your life experiences. I would have curtains and paintings and a few things acquired over the years to liven it up.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 PM

197 posts, read 522,354 times
Oh no I don't want it to look like pottery barn LOL. I was wondering should I change the paint colors, maybe something more light & airy. I am worried the dark red will not make me happy during the spring & summer, if that makes sense? If so what colors would be good for the living room & kitchen? Should I leave the tan or change it all. I am so bad at decorating, i have all these ideas I like but don't know how to get the looks. Example now I have Adirondack woodsy style decor, but what I want is a country chic style with light colors but some how I always end up with this style.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM

197 posts, read 522,354 times
The snow shoes & the toboggan are old antiques from my family.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
Oh no I don't want it to look like pottery barn LOL. I was wondering should I change the paint colors, maybe something more light & airy. I am worried the dark red will not make me happy during the spring & summer, if that makes sense? If so what colors would be good for the living room & kitchen? Should I leave the tan or change it all. I am so bad at decorating, i have all these ideas I like but don't know how to get the looks. Example now I have Adirondack woodsy style decor, but what I want is a country chic style with light colors but some how I always end up with this style.
ArmyWife, did you answer the wrong post? This is Babylink's post...

Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 AM

7 posts, read 5,523 times
1. Put some drapes that will match the mood of your living room. It can be offwhite or light brown.
2. What about a flower vase on the table?
3. You can place a magazine rack to fill the empty space.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,397 times
Curtains are missing.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 AM

LOL Apparently Armywife has the exact same living room

Made some small changes, added the tree, re-arranged the furniture and added a little media unit(made by my hubby) underneath the mirror. I love my mirror, and I have a big painting on the other, right above the fireplace.

It's all a work in process, but I am working on pillows and curtains next!

Trying to add a picture right now...but it seems like I can only post hyperlinks, I am missing the paper clip icon
I was able to add the pic on my profile, up-side-down lol

Last edited by babylink; 01-30-2015 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 AM

lol, thanks for noticing too funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating