Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 PM

17,419 posts, read 65,602,603 times

Advertisements

You can move walls until you're blue in the face- along with everything else; but if you can't do this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just be sure that the house is worth what you're about to put in it. I mean, we're talking probably close to $50,000 at least. Is the house going to appreciate in value that much? That's something to think about.

It's not worth doing. This is where that prior post comes into play (finding "another" house that does meet your need).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
Consult with an architect. We cannot possibly know the best approach here. You know what you need to continue living in the house, but your changes sound very pricey to me. Once you've spent a ton of money to change the house, then what? Do you love your neighborhood enough to stay there for another decade or two? And do you have the money to transform the house?

If you speak with a pro, he or she can give you advice about what you want to do, as well as point out things that would make it hard or easy to do. Before ripping into walls, I'd want design advice from someone who does this sort of thing professionally.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,434,987 times
I do wonder why the 1/2 bath and pantry weren't originally placed between the kitchen and the 3rd bedroom instead of their current location. It's unusual that the original builder of the house separated the kitchen from the dining room in such a way, and that the dining room itself seems to be a cave-like room separate from the living room or the rest of the house (you almost have to go through the kitchen to reach the dining room when in most houses it's the other way around).

What you're proposing to do is actually improving the current floor plan. The question is whether the expense is worth it. If you bought a tiny house in a very sought after location then the remodeling may improve the value of your house and make it more marketable at a higher price, so you could get your investment back. But if it's a small house in a generic neighborhood of small houses, then you most likely won't see your money back and it may be more pragmatic to sell and move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginva View Post
Not sure if you will be able to get a sense of what the three areas I would like to work with look like from the attachment. Ultimately, what I would like to accomplish is a second full bathroom that ideally would be an ensuite to allow added privacy, particularly when we have guests. As it is now, the kitchen and dining room are right next to each other, but between those two rooms is the pantry and half bath. The half bath opens into the hallway opposite the entrance to the garage which makes that small hallway seem really odd. We would close off the bathroom door and install a door from the dining room turned bedroom and extend the existing bath enough so that we can have a small ensuite. The kitchen would then move into our existing third bedroom, which is the smallest in the house, allowing us to keep it a three bedroom house, and the new dining area would be where the kitchen was.

I know that moving is an option, but it is not something that we are prepared to do at this time. Also, given the configuration of the house, there would be nowhere to put a dining table if we were to just make the dining room a 4th bedroom.

Attachment 143661

Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,849,348 times
How big of a bathroom are you wanting? You only need about 32 sq ft for a useable bathroom with decent sized shower pan (32"x48" for example).

Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,567,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginva View Post
Not sure if you will be able to get a sense of what the three areas I would like to work with look like from the attachment. Ultimately, what I would like to accomplish is a second full bathroom that ideally would be an ensuite to allow added privacy, particularly when we have guests. As it is now, the kitchen and dining room are right next to each other, but between those two rooms is the pantry and half bath. The half bath opens into the hallway opposite the entrance to the garage which makes that small hallway seem really odd. We would close off the bathroom door and install a door from the dining room turned bedroom and extend the existing bath enough so that we can have a small ensuite. The kitchen would then move into our existing third bedroom, which is the smallest in the house, allowing us to keep it a three bedroom house, and the new dining area would be where the kitchen was.

I know that moving is an option, but it is not something that we are prepared to do at this time. Also, given the configuration of the house, there would be nowhere to put a dining table if we were to just make the dining room a 4th bedroom.

Attachment 143661
Do it~~ From the looks of things the garage door would be in the hall, not said bedroom ... My feeling our this, you live there, so enjoy your home....

Old 10-21-2017, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
I'm doing something similar with my house...Have you ever thought about just converting your dinning room, half bath and pantry, into your master, and leaving the kitchen where it is? What is going to cost you the most money is moving the kitchen, so if you just keep the kitchen where it is, that will save you a lot of money. You can still expand the kitchen by taking down the wall between your kitchen and now third bedroom, and make that area one big open concept living/dinning area, which would be great for resell, plus give you some extra kitchen and entertaining space. You could also add a peninsula where the kitchen wall currently is for some extra seating too if you wanted.

If you wanted to really keep that third bedroom, so you could have a fourth bedroom, you could, you would just need to take a little space out of the room to expand the kitchen area. I personally think losing that third bedroom, since you are going to be adding a master anyway, and converting that entire area into an open concept family/office/dining area would be an awesome layout. You can always add another wall if you wanted to convert some of the room to a bedroom in the future too as well.

I totally understand what you are talking about by moving your kitchen but trust me that's a big expense. It all depends on what you want to do, and like others have said regarding the time frame on how long you plan on staying in your house. I personally can tell you that I have priced out doing something very similar to my house, and once I found out the investment I would need to make by moving my kitchen I decided to keep mine where it current is but still modify my layout and I love the results. Just by expanding my kitchen made such a difference.

If I have actually moved my kitchen to another room (my second bedroom) I would have had to add water thar area, new electricity, flooring, cabinets,etc. and that's where the cost starts to add up.

Good luck! I would love to see what you decide to do with your home. Everyone needs a lovely master

Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
I don't know the value of your house, or the quality of its construction. Once you begin opening up walls and changing the floorplan you find all sorts of unexpected issues. Your best bet might be to move. If you are tied to the place you are living in, and can't move, then I'd get a designer and engineer to look at your house and make suggestions.

I don't know if a dining room makes a good bedroom, since it would be close to the kitchen. I don't know if I'd like my bedroom to be in that spot. And, if you had to sell later, the change might affect resale value.

I think you need to decide what it is you are trying to achieve, and then decide if it is feasible and if it is worth the hassle and money. So, talk to an architect or designer (someone who designs floor plans). In general, I think you might need a larger, more accommodating house, but with the details you've not given, it is impossible to know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating