Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

I just moved in, haven't yet bought furniture because I'm not sure exactly what to get, and where to put it. The traffic flow goes from front door (beside fridge) straight through center of the room into the bedroom (door to left of cedar chest) the small door beside it is a closet. Bathroom is to the right of the front door, and another closet is diagonally across from the kitchen, just off to the side of the loveseat.

I was thinking of either squeezing in a bistro set under the window that runs along the left side of the room, or just putting two stools under the counter/breakfast bar and utilizing the whole space as living area.

But where to place the TV (sitting on cedar chest) and do I get a different TV stand so I can actually use the chest? Do I get a full size couch or an L-shaped one and where do I put that? Keep the loveseat? I still need a coffee table, a round one I guess?

So many questions, sorry. It's an oddly shaped room and I just don't know how to stage it.

I have white sheer curtains to put up on the windows, a few antique windows (shown below) and about 3 more large mirrors, can move any wall hangings to anywhere.

2 like this

and 2 like these (pic is off Pinterest, but exact same window frame)

Any ideas?

Last edited by JamieDeanne; 02-03-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:07 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Love what you have but can't see what you posted between

So many questions................

I have sheer white curtains.

Did you post it differently than the red and brown windows that do show or did you take both of them off Pinterest?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:12 PM

the top brown church style window is mine, the red rectangle one is from Pinterest. I can see the 4 pics of the apartment but you can't? I just linked to them from another forum I frequent (not a decorating one)

Hmm.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:25 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDeanne View Post
the top brown church style window is mine, the red rectangle one is from Pinterest. I can see the 4 pics of the apartment but you can't? I just linked to them from another forum I frequent (not a decorating one)

Hmm.
No, nothing but the bottom two pics show on mine.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 PM

Just re-added them with a different originating URL. Better?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Wherever you put the TV, the sofa needs to be opposite it. So that is the thing you probably should determine first. After that, you need tables around your sofa to put drinks or books on. People generally like to have a low table in front of the sofa as well, but that is optional. Often you are limited with your TV if you have to do more than plug it in. If you

If you determine the placement of the sofa and TV, much of everything else should fall into place. From your photo, I'd say put it on the opposite wall from where your sofa is now. And you should get a couple of stools to use at your counter, unless you intend to put a table and chairs in. I question whether you have enough room to this comfortably, though. So, you might get a large round table to act as coffee table and impromptu dining table in front of your sofa. And you need an extra chair of some sort to add to the seating.

The corner unit puzzles me. I can't make it out. But if you find a stand for your TV, (This should not be hard. Go to Best Buy for a look at what they have.) Then you can place a large wall hanging on the now empty wall above the trunk.

It does look as if the apt. is planned for a dining area because of the hanging light. If you want a dining area, that would be the place to put it. I can't tell from your pics just how much room you have to work with though.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM

The living area is about 12 x 15 (left window wall and far wall where bedroom door and closet is) and the right window wall is odd, about 15 ft long as well. Is it too arge to dedicate to seating for the TV? should it be sectioned out? my TV is only 42 inches. (you can see in pic)

Thanks

Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
It needs a single floor.
I would replace the gray with hardwood.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:38 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It needs a single floor.
I would replace the gray with hardwood.
yes, this was my first thought as well.

To me the two different floors make an un-official dividing line of which room is which.....it isn't necessary. One floor would, and most probably will, look nicer.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Is this a rental? Not sure if OP would be putting in new floors. Or is it a purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating