Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times

Advertisements

Bingo.

Steady hand and practice. I don't tape anything either.

All you need is a good quality (I prefer Wooster or Purdy) brush with a 1.5" tapered edge to cut in the walls around the trim. I typically cut in the bottom of the wall first and then roll it allowing about a 30% overlap. When you start hearing the roller sound like it is sticking to the wall, it's time to roll it back in the tray for more paint.

Never had an issue this way. I actually prefer to paint my baseboard trim last just in case I do drop on the trim (haven't but just my preference) but I cut it in the same way using a smaller tapered brush. I paint all the window trim, crown moulding, chair rails before the walls though. Seems to work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
That's the brush I use and it works great.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I call my angled Wooster brush Shorty!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I call my angled Wooster brush Shorty!
Question for you Pitt Chick. Do you find that holding that stubby brush easier to manipulate? I like it better than a long handled brush. Just wondering if it's me or if others find the same thing.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Ha I fought tooth and nail with my wife over paint brushes (cheap vs quality) before she realized the Wooster brushes do so much better. I've had mine over 6 years and have painted 2 houses with them. My current house has been painted three times with them.

After that it was easy to get her on board with buying good quality paint too. I found it runs less and covers better. Less concern with cut ins.

A stubby brush (for me) allows less control since the handle doesn't rest between my thumb and forefinger. I'm counting on a steadier hand with it. I reserve those for hard to reach areas. I like my long handle for cut ins personally.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Question for you Pitt Chick. Do you find that holding that stubby brush easier to manipulate? I like it better than a long handled brush.:
Yes, indeed! WAY easier.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
...you will have to touch up the baseboard anyways when you screw up?

I think you meant to say when "you" screw up!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This is why I hate this subject-
Most people do it assbackwards!^^^^^

You always do trim first, then ceiling, then walls! When it's done this way (industry standard) there is no need for TAPE OF ANY KIND OR COLOR!
It might be backwards and if that is the standard then so be it and I accept that I am doing it backwards. I have my reasons for it and will gladly explain why I disagree. Not saying I am right, just that it works for me.

Ceiling first, obvious.....paint splatters on the walls.
I like to do the walls next because I always use a semi gloss on the trim and it takes a lot longer to dry than the walls. Once I get started I don't want to stop and wait for the trim to dry.

Lastly, I am pretty good but not 100% steady, so I would still have to use the blue tape to cover the trim so if I did miss and get paint on them all I have to do is peel the tape off.

Just like I said to the sprayer devotee, what ever floats your boat. I acknowledge that it may not be the "right" way but for me it works.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I think you meant to say when "you" screw up!
It was implied

I am not a pro, but given the OP, I don't think they are either.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
What order things are done may vary. Generally, it is good to do the ceilings first, then the walls and then the woodwork.
Provided that you are a real painter with skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating