Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times

Advertisements

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but a doctor saw something suspicious on a home buyer on an HGTV show, reached out to find her via social media and let her know she should see a doctor for an exam and biopsy and it turned out she had thyroid cancer.

Quote:
Dr. Erich Voigt, a New York-based ear, nose and throat surgeon from NYU Langone Health, just happened to be watching "Beachfront Bargain Hunt" when he noticed a small lump on the neck of a woman featured in the program. It was something only a trained doctor would recognize as needing attention, he said.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/...ry?id=55640226

But see, all you HGTV-haters, it's not all bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,425,668 times
It has happened before too:

Popular HGTV presenter diagnosed with cancer and SAVED by an eagle-eyed viewer who spotted an unusual lump on his neck | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,435,070 times
So nobody else, not even the person themselves, saw a lump on the neck of the affected person (in both the above cases)? If it was noticeable by someone watching the TV, then it was noticeable to others in that person's life I would think. Have we become so PC that nobody wants to "embarrass" someone or "hurt their feelings" or be thought of as "nosy" by mentioning a lump on that person's body? How did these neck lumps not get noticed before they were, by complete strangers watching a TV show?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,481,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
So nobody else, not even the person themselves, saw a lump on the neck of the affected person (in both the above cases)? If it was noticeable by someone watching the TV, then it was noticeable to others in that person's life I would think. Have we become so PC that nobody wants to "embarrass" someone or "hurt their feelings" or be thought of as "nosy" by mentioning a lump on that person's body? How did these neck lumps not get noticed before they were, by complete strangers watching a TV show?
Did you watch the clip? It's not something a layperson would easily notice. In fact I had trouble seeing it even though I was looking for it.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:57 PM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
Or, maybe, just being on an HGTV show causes thyroid cancer.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:31 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,435,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Did you watch the clip? It's not something a layperson would easily notice. In fact I had trouble seeing it even though I was looking for it.
No I just assumed it would have been noticeable if someone watching TV could pick up on it. If the layperson could not see it, all I can say is Wow, the doctor and other person who noticed each of these TV events sure have some great perception and/or eyesight!

Old 06-05-2018, 06:45 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
Oh, right, I forgot about that!

That's really weird that two people on the same network were diagnosed this way.

But I also knew someone very randomly diagnosed, also with thyroid cancer. Someone she knew was in nursing school and was practicing a thyroid exam and when she did the practice on my friend, she said that she knew she wasn't experienced but it just didn't feel right to her and urged my friend to see a doctor. And turned out she was right and my friend had thyroid cancer (successfully treated)

Old 06-07-2018, 06:34 AM

37,470 posts, read 45,693,187 times
Quote:
No I just assumed it would have been noticeable if someone watching TV could pick up on it. If the layperson could not see it, all I can say is Wow, the doctor and other person who noticed each of these TV events sure have some great perception and/or eyesight!
He's a medical professional - he is TRAINED.

The fact that he noticed AND went way out of his way to help this person - that's sort of the whole point of the story.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM

18,869 posts, read 14,052,061 times
Quote:
How did these neck lumps not get noticed before they were, by complete strangers watching a TV show?
TV adds 10 lbs - - -

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM

18,371 posts, read 31,475,415 times
I remember the talk show with tarek and the lady that found out about his cancer.
but i think is is insane that a tv viewer can spot somethig on a person and not even the wife (tarek) or friend, etc....but a viewer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating