Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM

75 posts, read 82,488 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving into a lovely apartment, which just so happens to have this really bland and dingy kitchen. Whilst I'm planning to accessorize with colored bowls, sink mat etc I would love some ideas for brightening up those awful cabinets. I would also love to put some artwork on the back wall but I'm wary of hanging anything above the stove. It's a rental so I'm limited in how much I can alter. I've attached a picture of my ideal kitchen colors, yellow and blue, in the hopes that someone has some ideas! I'm aware that I'm never going to achieve the attached dream kitchen in a rental, but I'm using it as a springboard

Oh, and apologies for the terrible picture of the kitchen, it was the only one I could get as I haven't actually moved in yet!
Attached Thumbnails
How to brighten up a dingy kitchen?-e6a425095853c4782da20fdd1824f27b.jpg   How to brighten up a dingy kitchen?-k2.jpg  

Last edited by cymru3; 02-20-2015 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Just today I got an email from Amazon deals for these 16x20 decals that can stick to anything (supposedly). You can use your own design, or photo, or I assume they have some design choices too. Perhaps they could dress up your cabinet doors. In case the link doesn't work, the website is called Picture It On Canvas.

Picture It On Canvas Deal - San Antonio: Amazon Local

Also, google cabinet decals for more ideas.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Oh, those ever so lovely 1980's white covered, totally indestructible, crushed oatmeal cabinets. LOL!

Funny kayanne, but I was going to suggest that OP go to Walmart or a craft store like Hobby Lobby and get some of the wall decals. My daughter had those cabinets in one of her college apartments and the girls ordered large vinyl dots from the Internet that they used to decorate theirs. It was actually really cute. I thought I had a photo of them on my phone but I couldn't find them. They have them in lots of themes now - including flowers, birds, and such - and if you can get the pre-done ones they are probably cheaper.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-20-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Cabinet faces - Contact paper. Easy to stick, easy to remove over melamine.

Floor - floating laminate or vinyl plank click-lock. You don't have to attach it to anything, just lay it over the existing floor and remove when you move. Since it's not permanent, any cheap sub $1/sq ft bargain will do.

For a few hundred bucks you can put in some flashy modern finishes that will last for a few years. You could even mimic the blue cabinets/pine floor in the first photo.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:10 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
OP. In keeping with your blue and yellow inspiration room heres a few thoughts.. Since you cant paint Im thinking yellow oilcloth covered walls above white wainscot. French Country motif blue decals on white cabinet doors. Large blue rug to bring in more blue since we cant paint the lovely cabinets. Colorful placemats for the table in blue white and yellow. If you can afford it a nice rectangular real wood table and two tall wood chairs would make a great focal point.

I know its old fashioned but I have always loved oilcloth. I remember my Great Gram used to cover the wall behind the stove. It kept the wall clean and was so bright and cheery. You could do the whole kitchen. Theres not much wall to do since the bottom half is white wainscot. If you use smaller tacks the holes will be easy to fill when you leave.

Heres one site. There are others if you Google. You can also find it at the fabric store or craft store.
Not sure how adventurous you are so heres a solid yellow. Theres some nice checks and retro prints on the site too.

Oilcloth By The Yard - Solid Yellow Oilcloth

Thats funny Kayanne. I was going to suggest those removeable decals for those lovely cabinets too. How about a nice big blue rooster in the center of each door. JK.

Not sure about using contact paper sometimes it doesnt come off so easy. At least it doesnt for me. But the click-lock flooring would sure help a lot.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
For behind the stove you could create a hangable tile backsplash or add a spice rack with some funky tiles/ plates above. Here are some cute spice racks: My Kitchen Makeover: Bones | Visual Vocabularie

Then over the counter add some functional shelving from ikea.

Alternatively you could stagger shelving accross the whole wall.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM

Ooooh these are wonderful ideas! I was actually thinking along the lines of decals for the cabinets...hadn't even thought of using temporary flooring, that's genius! A backsplash sounds great too. I'm Googling all of these ideas simultaneously!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
You can hang something by the stove without problem. I am not suggesting a photo or anything flammable but a metal pot rack or something like that I think would be allowed. If not maybe a decorative metal piece, they are available in Walmart. Check with the landlord. I say no to the contact idea too. Especially where there is heat, once you go to pull it off the sticky residue is left and then it is a chore. Funny story, I had an aunt who would tire of her décor in the kitchen, my uncle was a night worker and he would come home and find the kitchen repapered in contact. My cousin took the place over when they passed and it was HELL getting the layers off and the worst was the sticky residue left behind.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
I have the same kitchen, unfortunately. Those cabinets are unforgiving. I do think that kitchen will look much better if the ugly table and clutter are removed and replaced with a more modern table and no clutter. Then some colorful wall art of some kind. I find that mine looks best if I just keep it as clean and uncluttered as possible, so I recommend that whatever you do you are careful to keep it simple and minimal, as opposed to filling the space with more furniture pieces, shelves, knick knacks, etc.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Hadn't thought of decorative metal wall pieces, great idea. I really want to put something on that back wall as it's what you see when you walk into the room from the living room, which is a gorgeous space. Mnseca, I think the kitchen will be completely empty for us when we move in, even the table and chairs. If not, the dumpster is at the back of the building, so it will be empty either way :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating