Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 28,419 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, looking for some assistance in choosing furnishings that will add some color to my room. I think I'm your typical guy in that my room is pretty sparse, but I'd really like to add decor that makes it feel more homey. I definitely like a clean, modern look.

Part of the problem I have is that I walk into a store hoping to find art/furnishings and I just can't imagine any of it looking good in my room and end up not buying anything. I'm really not good at all with colors and finding what matches so if it would be possible to show some examples of your ideas that would be great! I'm not opposed to new bedding, curtains, artwork, trinkets... really anything that can make my bedroom for a little more lively would be fantastic! Thanks guys!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Can you paint the walls? That alone would make a huge difference.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't believe I can... I would definitely have to ask my apartment complex about that :/

Old 02-21-2015, 02:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Get new linens for the bed which will add color.
Put new curtains on the window that will also add color.
Toss a rug at the foot of the bed.
Put a few throw pillows on your bed or get more bed pillows with different color and design of pillow cases.
Put a blanket at the end of the bed folded.
Hang a piece of fabric that you like at the top of the mirror draped like a regular drapery would hang.
Get a couple night stands and lamps that have colorful shades on them.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Right! It looks like a small room, and the furniture is black and the walls are in mourning. Definitely needs a better color as a starter. It looks like there is one window with a shade....any view?

Think of some colors you are comfortable with...other than black and grey. And then go to a paint store and see if you can find an interesting shade of that color (not a plain pure color), and go for an intensity that is maybe just a bit under the midpoint.

If there is a wall-to-wall carpet, then you are going to have to consider its color when you are looking for a wall color.

Next step is probably a different bed spread. (Second thought, the next IS a different spread.)

Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
If you can't paint, then definitely get a new bed cover and pillow shams. One thing you can do is go to Ikea and just find a bedroom display that you like and buy everything in it. They usually have it all put together with bed linens, wall art, etc.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
If you can't paint, then definitely get a new bed cover and pillow shams. One thing you can do is go to Ikea and just find a bedroom display that you like and buy everything in it. They usually have it all put together with bed linens, wall art, etc.
I agree with this - if you uncertain, a "bedroom in a box" is a great way to go. Once you live with it for a while and figure out what you do and don't like, you'll be able to start to integrate things of your own choosing the next time.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:39 PM

thanks guys! I guess I just get uncomfortable with alot of my options and I end up not doing anything at all haha. This is my first apartment out of college so I definitely want to make it a "grown up" apartment instead of a frat house... I think I'm on my way there! I am going to start looking at bedspreads that might be a little more colorful!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Right! It looks like a small room, and the furniture is black and the walls are in mourning. Definitely needs a better color as a starter. It looks like there is one window with a shade....any view?

Think of some colors you are comfortable with...other than black and grey. And then go to a paint store and see if you can find an interesting shade of that color (not a plain pure color), and go for an intensity that is maybe just a bit under the midpoint.

If there is a wall-to-wall carpet, then you are going to have to consider its color when you are looking for a wall color.

Next step is probably a different bed spread. (Second thought, the next IS a different spread.)
Unfortunately no view :/ the window looks out of the front of my apartment at the stairs, so it always stays closed... my living room has plenty of natural light and vaulted ceilings so it really doesn't bother me too much!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
What colors do you think go well with my brown furniture? I'm so bad with colors it's embarassing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating