Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times

Advertisements

Quite a bit. We bought 3 years ago and the house was in not so great shape (but good bones!) so everything needed to be replaced: heating, plumbing, electrical, windows, insulation, drainage, roof, fence/landscaping as well as all of the appliances and cosmetics (all baths, cabinets, flooring, walls) - so lots of opportunity there to make either good or bad choices with regard to resale and our own intended use.

This was one of those "less expensive houses in a neighborhood of more expensive homes" so the plan was to improve it to be more in line with the average. That way if we decided to sell, it would be marketable as a move in ready home generally in line with what buyers are looking for vs how we bought it - a major project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If I like it, more than likely a potential buyer would also like it, don'tcha think? Generally, it's better than when it started, too, so we mostly do what we like and don't worry about resale. We don't sell them anyway, we keep them as rentals after we move out.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If I like it, more than likely a potential buyer would also like it, don'tcha think?
Not necessarily. I've seen a lot of homes lately while looking to move that the current owner made some horrific choices in paint and wallpaper, cabinetry and flooring. Houses that I have to put a lot of effort into to want to live there had better be extremely cheap in order to compensate for the amount of work/labor I have to do to it.

C'mon... Orange and pink walls, black trim, and blue carpet? Get out...

While it's mostly just paint, why bother? Just move on to one that's nicer already and doesn't need a bunch of labor put into it.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
OMG that's hideous!

I hate carpet to begin with. The walls I could see fixing - but all that black trim??? Nope, never. Painting trim is bad enough - trying to go over black? It would be easier to rip it out and replace than repaint.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
We bought this house as a forever house, we have no intention of moving again so the decor is to our taste. Remodelling the kitchen I am not having a dishwasher installed but I will put a 24" cabinet next to the sink so it could be installed at a later date if needed.

Wall colours are totally personal, in homes I've sold I've painted neutral tones and still potential buyers will comment that they don't like this colour or that. I have in the past pointed out that paint is comparatively cheap if thats all that is offending them.

So I guess my answer to the OP is yes and no lol. This is my home and I'm going to decorate it to my tastes I will however bear in mind that sometime in the future it may be sold so probably not a good idea to go with the copy of the Taj Mahal in the bathroom.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I blame HGTV for this..... I am so tired of all the brown, grey, and other blah colors. I have friends that hate the choices they made when remodeling but did it anyway because that was what HGTV said they needed to do for re-sale. People need to quick seeing their home as an investment they get to live in and start seeing it as a place they live in that can be an investment. They thing that kills me is that by the time people sell their home whatever remodeling they did will be outdated so they have lived with colors and choices they hate.

On the other hand..... painting walls pink and orange and throwing in painted black trim is just asking for a low ball sales price probably no matter what year you try to sell it.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Not necessarily. I've seen a lot of homes lately while looking to move that the current owner made some horrific choices in paint and wallpaper, cabinetry and flooring. Houses that I have to put a lot of effort into to want to live there had better be extremely cheap in order to compensate for the amount of work/labor I have to do to it.

C'mon... Orange and pink walls, black trim, and blue carpet? Get out...

While it's mostly just paint, why bother? Just move on to one that's nicer already and doesn't need a bunch of labor put into it.
If I looked at this house, and I liked the bones of it, I'd be thinking a lowball offer would be accepted, since it would scare so many buyers away.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

On the other hand..... painting walls pink and orange and throwing in painted black trim is just asking for a low ball sales price probably no matter what year you try to sell it.
Maybe the target buyer is someone that feels nostalgia for Denny's restaurants of the 1970's.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:39 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If I like it, more than likely a potential buyer would also like it, don'tcha think? Generally, it's better than when it started, too, so we mostly do what we like and don't worry about resale. We don't sell them anyway, we keep them as rentals after we move out.
I really don't think there is any style with 100% popularity. When I think neutral and resale value, I think about more of the lowest common denominator type style and it's more about what is least objectionable to the greatest number of people rather than assuming everyone will like the same thing. I know for myself, there are things where my reaction is "well, I could live with that" vs. the pink and orange walls with black trim.

When I bought my last house, it had sat on the market for close to a year and I'm sure the paint colors had a huge amount to do with that. Every room had an accent wall, which I personally dislike anyway, and these were all faux finished, DARK colors, in one case with a gold marbled effect. Ugh. I was smart enough to know it was just paint, but I definitely think they turned off a lot of potential buyers. But I'm sure the original owners were thinking "we love it, so everyone will like it"

And of course, even neutral can raise some hackles. I've seen more than one post here about people saying they would never want anything so beige and boring. At least beige is easier to paint over since you won't need a primer in most cases!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I looked at this house, and I liked the bones of it, I'd be thinking a lowball offer would be accepted, since it would scare so many buyers away.
When there are others on the market for similar prices that don't need the labor and money put into them, then why bother? Even if you lowball them, you'll have to put time and money into it which will bring it back up to the equivalent cost of buying one that doesn't need that work. So there's no net gain there, especially if it's a fairly common type house (which that particular one is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating