Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,454 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are disagreeing on the color of our kitchen dining area. I painted it this very dark red & she think it needs to be a light greyish blue or yellow, something airy and cheerful since we live way up in the North Country of New York state where it is always snowing and dreary outside. She also wants to change the decor and do a french country type of decor, not sure what that is but she wants it. Opinions please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
IMO, the red is wrong for the room. The flooring and the kitchen cabs are warm toned. The red on the walls is warm toned, and all the red tones don't really get along with each other. A cool tone, such as a blue gray might work better with everything else in the room.

When you do a room, you should identify the permanent things in the room, and choose colors that harmonize with those permanent things. I don't favor yellow for the room because the of yellow tones in the floor. And again, too much warm. Gray does surprisingly well with yellow tones, and it could also get along with the darker reds of the cabinets.

Also, choose different curtains for the windows. The curtains you have hug the window too much. I would hang curtains higher than the window, and also hang them wider. They look constricted in the middle of a larger wall. Or just skip them altogether, and just use a nice shade.

There are a million blues, blue grays, and grays. Find some at your local paint store, and bring some chips home. Narrow your choices to two or three and then buy the smallest amounts of paint available. Paint sheets of foam core with the possible paints, and hold them up around the room. Or paint large swatches of paint over the red. Coverage might be hard though. Whatever method you use, take your time choosing the best color. Some grays have red undertones, others have purple, or yellow. Blues are all over the map, but blue grays are very popular now, and you should be able to find one that you like to try out.

You might also want to consider green, or grayed green for the room. If you change curtains in the room, then you might choose the new curtains before choosing the paint.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,181,244 times
Sorry, but your wife wins. That looks dark and oppressive and does not go with the cabinets well at all. Get some primer up and then paint some big swatches of a few different colors to find something you and your wife both like.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,781,501 times
agree with the others---pretty color but all wrong for the room.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,587,219 times
Must agree with wife...The color red can stimulate the appetite, often being used in restaurants for this purpose. It also increases craving for food and other stimuli. Being surrounded by too much of the color red can cause us to become irritated, agitated and ultimately angry.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 AM

17,468 posts, read 65,973,095 times
How is it you painted the rooms without a prior agreement?

If this was a "my house" before it became an "our house" then I see why. She wants to make it "our house" by changing things that you BOTH agree on.

The best way to make this happen-
Put a For Sale sign in the front yard and go BUY an OUR HOUSE!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
I like burgundy in general but I don't care for it in this room with the dark cabinets.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,060,993 times
The room is too small with little light to support that color.

Light to open the space.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,454 times
Kledgebldr, it is OUR house, so I dont know what you are trying to get at, just because we cant agree on a paint color doesnt mean we have to sell a house, how dumb is that. Also I did 20 years Active duty in the Army, we have been married 22 years and this is the first place we have ever been allowed to paint. Guess you must never have a disagreement with a loved one, huh?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,740,967 times
I'm not a fan of the burgundy in that particular room either.

Ask your wife to show you pictures of what she has in mind, since you're not familiar with the French country idea she has in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating