Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

Sherwin Williams' 2019 Color Of The Year Is Here - See It Now - Lonny

Found this on a blog I have in my blog reader. I am sure some of you will have strong feelings about this color. I am not too surprised at this choice, actually. I have seen this color in ready to wear already.

I kind of like it as a counterpoint to so many deep greens and blues that we are seeing now. But even if I were thinking of painting, I doubt I would choose this color, even for an accent wall. If I were starting from scratch in a house, I might consider it.

We are moving away from grays, though, I think.

The article says the color is a throwback to the 1970s, but most of what I’ve been seeing reminds me of the late 1980s and early 1990s. This single color, not so much, but the deep greens and blues that keep popping up in decorating blogs call back to those years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 02:12 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
So...it's the 2019 color of the year?

I guess I'm just old and non-trendy, because I would assume that the "color of the year" would be the color for THIS year that turned-out to be the most popular.

But if it's for 2019, then the only explanation that I can see is that Sherwin-Williams is doing everything that they can to force people into thinking that this color is going to be the next big fad, and therefore we should all go spend a pile of money on paint in this color.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:31 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
But...but... what about the people who painted their entire 2-story family room the latest color 3 years ago- mustard yellow INCLUDING the stone fireplace? (It was when DH and I were downsizing and I actually saw this in a house on the market. Ugh.)

I select whatever looks pretty to me when i need paint. Sorry, Sherwin-Williams.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
OK, folks. This is for info only. There is no law or rule that you have to use this color. But it might be a forecast of what lies ahead. I find this stuff interesting.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
So...it's the 2019 color of the year?

I guess I'm just old and non-trendy, because I would assume that the "color of the year" would be the color for THIS year that turned-out to be the most popular.

But if it's for 2019, then the only explanation that I can see is that Sherwin-Williams is doing everything that they can to force people into thinking that this color is going to be the next big fad, and therefore we should all go spend a pile of money on paint in this color.

They do the same with fashion, there's always a "new" color each year.

Rust, again? It was 70s....we even had a rust colored LeMans.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
I actually used something called "spicy cayenne" (a kind of burnt orange) for my kitchen remodel at my previous house (which is now a rental) back in 2009. I loved it then, I still like it now.

The new color kind of reminds me of that. But "trends"? Really? Can't you just pick colors you like???

EG stainless steel ... absolutely hate it. Always have. But it is still "trendy," so I'm told. I MUCH prefer black but may have to go with black stainless because it's "trendy" (and therefore AVAILABLE) ... kind of makes me nuts.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:11 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Enuf said!
Attached Thumbnails
Sherwin Williams color of the year-img_3430.jpg  

Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I actually used something called "spicy cayenne" (a kind of burnt orange) for my kitchen remodel at my previous house (which is now a rental) back in 2009. I loved it then, I still like it now.

The new color kind of reminds me of that. But "trends"? Really? Can't you just pick colors you like???

EG stainless steel ... absolutely hate it. Always have. But it is still "trendy," so I'm told. I MUCH prefer black but may have to go with black stainless because it's "trendy" (and therefore AVAILABLE) ... kind of makes me nuts.
I painted one of my bathrooms ‘Cajun Red’ by Behr. I normally hate reds, but I still like this color and it’s been there for about 5 years now.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:02 AM

128 posts, read 105,600 times
Color preference is such a personal thing. I hate that color myself but others certainly have a different opinion. I do think it's interesting sometimes to see these "______ of the year" things. I will always, however, pick what I actually want and not what some company suggests I want.

I loathe fall colors as they are infinitely depressing to me. This color, IMO, has "fall" written all over it. My personal palette preference is blues, greens, and grays.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK, folks. This is for info only. There is no law or rule that you have to use this color. But it might be a forecast of what lies ahead. I find this stuff interesting.
Sure, it's for informational/entertainment purposes. But it's still annoying...

Shouldn't a trend be something that happens organically? Or something that just kind of happens because people as a whole decide that this color is new and aesthetically pleasing?

This "color of the year" gimmick is basically a company trying to force people who are followers/trend-slaves to think that that should like what the company tells them to like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating