Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

In addition to the many great suggestions you've gotten, I'd also have for my guests:

A basket with a couple of water bottles, small pkgs of crackers, granola bars, etc.
Every possible thing they might need in the bathroom (since it's so hard to fly with liquids), including shave cream, hair gel, hair spray, mouthwash, etc. And I let them know ahead of time that their bathroom is fully stocked (I even ask what else they might need) so they know they don't need to pack little 3 ounce containers of it.
Extension cord if the outlet isn't convenient for charging phone, iPad, etc.
Brochures of things they might like to do.

Even if they don't need some of these things, I do like my guests to know I have put thought into their visit, and that I have been looking forward to them coming.

I have a family of 4 (one of whom shares your name and spelling!) coming for a week, starting this Friday, so I am in the middle of these preparations. When are yours coming, Kathryn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Great ideas everyone! Keep 'em coming. I have some of them in place already but I really like the idea of the multi charger thingie and having a fully stocked bathroom.

Kayanne - our guests will be here the middle of April. They'll be here for just three days. I am so excited! I really want them to be comfortable.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
I love the idea of a gift basket with some munchies. With jet lag (not sure it applies on trips from Europe to US more than it will on their return trip), but they may wake up at odd hours and be hungry, so that's nice. Definitely agree with the flashlight/nightlight suggestion. Have you ever woken up on a trip and forgot how to find the light switch or door? Panic!

Did anyone say extra toilet paper and towels? I tend to re-use my towels for a few days, but I have some family who would be insulted if you asked them to use a bath towel more than once. They must pay a fortune in water bills, but to each his own. I make sure they have plenty on hand when they come.

I also keep a fully stocked bucket of cleaning supplies under the sink. Its not that I expect them to clean, BUT in some situations, they may prefer to clean up after themselves as opposed to alerting you to a " little incident".

Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
a bunch of post cards of local sites/animals. They can either send or keep. When I went to Europe pre camera days, I sent post cards to myself.

a couple of magazines they might be interested in. With the time difference it'd give them something quiet to do at 3 in the morning.

a few newspapers

Old 03-24-2015, 06:13 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
I would add some Tylenol, Advil, maybe some Tums or similar. Along with the power strip, a table big enough to put glasses, phone, tablet, etc on at night near the bed. A table on each side of the bed with a light and clock on each side too.

Put in extra pillows of various firmness along with extra blankets. Have empty hangers in the closet. If you can't find a luggage rack, a small table or chest works fine. You could put a towel or table cloth over the top if it's not in good shape and let them know it's the to hold their luggage.

Since their sleep/waking schedules will be off, have coffee/tea set up in the kitchen, along with directions on how to use your coffee maker so if they get up before you they can make their own. I have a Keurig and if people have not used one before, it's awkward to figure out how to get one to brew.

Mainly, just let them know to be at home and help themselves though.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
For me, the basics of a guest room are these:

trash can
tissues
lamp suitable for reading by the bed
place to hang my clothes with hangers
place to put my toiletries in the bath
warm blanket in case it gets cold at night
a chair
clean face cloths to use every night (a pipe dream)

Everything else is gravy, in my opinion. This is based on many stays I've made with relatives through the years. I can't tell you how many times I've gone looking for tissues. (allergies) And a trash can to throw those tissues in. I imagine that an alarm clock or clock radio might be good for deep sleepers.

I hope you enjoy your guests, and they you. How exciting for you!

I suppose if

Old 03-24-2015, 03:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
My "guest drawer" includes most of those things and ear plugs, emery board, a couple of paperbacks they can read and take, extra AA batteries, little glass wipes (for glasses and electronics), a night light they can use if they like and a couple of Ghiradelli chocolate squares.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I would add a package of neutrogena makeup removal wipes, eye drops, tissues, razors, comb, bandaids, lip balm, hand lotion, along with usual toiletries. I like snacks--fruit, yogurt, popcorn, chocolates & lots of water. Guest robe & slippers is nice or a set of sweats to lounge in....if you have local sports team it could be a take with gift. Good reading light & an extra throw...plus books. WiFi & tablet/laptop, streaming movies etc...
Think great hotel suite. Have fun.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
If you have a burglar alarm you set at night, advise them of the fact and whether they can open their windows or not when it's armed. If they're early risers and you feel comfortable doing so, give them the code so they can disarm and step outside in the a.m.

The above based on experience.....

Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If you have a burglar alarm you set at night, advise them of the fact and whether they can open their windows or not when it's armed. If they're early risers and you feel comfortable doing so, give them the code so they can disarm and step outside in the a.m.

The above based on experience.....
Oh my!

This does remind me though - I have those fire escape ladders upstairs (the guest rooms are upstairs) and I need to show them where they are and how to use them. I also have a fire extinguisher up there I need to show them too.

Ya never know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating