Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. So the bf and I are moving into another apt next month and we're going to paint two walls only as accents. I know there's such a wide difference in price, etc but I didn't want to spend too much money on paint as we'll only be there a year, and it's not our "house". What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Be sure to get in writing that your LL will allow you to paint and if so, will your LL expect you to repaint it back to the original color when you leave.

Most LL's don't permit renters to paint- if they do, they may want to approve the brand and paint color.

I recommend you check with your LL first - before you spend any money on paint

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Buy good paint, and do a good job applying it. Think of this as a trial for when you have your own home. You will have more skill because you learned how to do it right in the beginning. And good paint makes painting so much easier.

Invest in good brushes and rollers too. You'll use them in the future.

I advise visiting a full service paint store for advice. They will tell you which paint for your situation. If you want, you can visit a couple of places before deciding. I'd think that a mid level paint would be good; buy a good brand though, like Benjamin Moore. A lot of people like Sherwin Williams.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Absolutely do not waste your money on "good" paint. I use really good paint on the outside and good paint on the interior trim, but not walls. $25/gal. Behr is just fine for interior walls. You are a beginner at painting so you won't even notice the difference between better and best paint.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
You will notice a difference in Behr paint........depending upon color used. Their lighter colors oxidize (yellow) very quickly. In less than a year. Giving up with Behr..........I took the remainder of the can to a full service paint store. They matched the color with Pratt & Lambert paint. I repainted. That was 3 years ago........and it has not oxidized.

$25 a ga for Behr, $43 for P&L.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Keep in mind the o.p. is renting and will only be there for a year.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:15 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
I've used a lot of paint brands and IMO, a lot of the cheaper stuff will look just as good. Right now, my go to paint is Olympic One in eggshell or flat. It's $25/gallon and Lowes and often has a $5 rebate per gallon. For primer I use the Zinnster stuff at Home Depot which is $15/gallon. I will have the primer tinted to my paint color and cut in just like its a final coat. One coat of primer and one coat of paint gets the job done and looks great. For brushes, I have some that are $20 per brush, but honestly I can do just as good with the $4-5 economy brushes....just be sure to keep your stuff wrapped in plastic when you take a break. Dried paint will wreck a brush. For paint rollers, I'll typically use the cheapest available. I like a 1/2" nap instead of the more popular 3/8". I also like a 3-4" paint roller for places where a regular paint roller can't get (most people will just use their brush but the stipple won't match).

So yeah...painting a room or two isn't rocket science and should cost more than $100 for supplies. Granted, I wouldn't won't a tenant painting anything! Can't trust their skill/carefulness.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I made paint to pay for college in my younger days. Interior paint does not have to put up with much in the way of elements or environment. Most any interior paint is cheap crap regardless of what you pay for it. Don't buy expensive paint for the interior and don't overlook WalMarts highly regarded interior paints. They are a bargain and will perform just as good if not better than the high dollar paints. They are made by Glidden.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
OK, I disagree here. I don't recommend using highest of the high end paint for an apartment interior, but better quality paint is just better. It is easier to apply for one thing. And good paint ages better. I do agree that it is pointless to paint with the most expensive paint in this case, but a mid grade paint from a good company will repay the effort of the OP puts into it.

I also stand by my recommendation to use a paint store. I learned so much from a local paint store in my area. Sure, you can pick up supplies more cheaply at a big box store, but the people in a big box store can't recommend paint equipment or paint, for that matter. All they can do is sell stuff. A paint store can guide newbies.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM

^Do you also think there is such a thing as "paint + primer"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating