U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 AM

563 posts, read 3,539,925 times

Advertisements

We are in the final negotiating phase on our new home (not so new -1978) and I've seen a lot online about window cling film that you can use to increase privacy or reduce uv rays in the home.

I'm thinking of using the faux stained glass film for three long windows over the garden tub in the master bath. The windows are fixed (i.e do not open). I don't really want to take them out to paint them (faux stained glass technique). Has anyone used window clings before? I'm sure there is variation in quality between companies. They are supposed to do ok in damp environments but has anyone used them in a bathroom before?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM

405 posts, read 1,660,424 times
I have window film on my front door--so no moisture, but plenty of hot/cold exposure. Mine is just a frosted glass look (vs stained glass), since my front door has a large clear pane that was just too expensive to replace and we were looking for more privacy.

FWIW, the film looks awesome. Multiple people have commented about how good our "new front door" looks. Unless you inspect it closely, you can't even tell it's a film. It's been up for over a year and isn't even remotely beginning to peel at the edges or anything.

You should be able to find a company that provides samples. I probably tested about 10 different films before deciding on a winner.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM

857 posts, read 4,630,105 times
I have a huge window in my Master bath facing the front of the house (yeah... the builder really thought THAT one through!) Although it might be a good way for your neighbors to get to know you I thought I would pass. I used that film that the poster above mentioned. It makes the windows look frosted and gives complete privacy. I don't even need blinds there. I even turned all of the lights on at night and made my husband stand by the window in a red shirt and I looked at it from the street and couldn't see anything more than a pink blur. And the nice thing is that during the day it still allows sunlight in.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM

That does sound like a terrific privacy booster
Do you remember the name of the manufacturer or where you bought the film?? thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM

405 posts, read 1,660,424 times
I got mine from glassdecorandmore.com.

If I remember correctly, they have a pretty cheesy website and they sell some pretty cheesy films too... but if you wade through them all, you can find some good ones. And again, for a nominal fee, they'll ship you samples, which I definitely recommend.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 AM

14,617 posts, read 55,053,541 times
If the house has thermopane (I.G.) windows- I'd stay away from window films (especially a 30y/o house). Most manufacturers of I.G. windows will void their warranty if film has been applied.
Most films tend to raise the internal temperture beyond tolerances which causes the seals to fail.
I know there are some companies that install window film and will garrantee the windows from seal failure (in other words, they know that they are going to make the window fail but, to get the sale they will replace the window (sash) if failure occurs.
I have had first-hand experience at this- H/O installed film (after warnings to the contrary), film company contacted me to find out where the windows came from so they could order replacement.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM

857 posts, read 4,630,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
That does sound like a terrific privacy booster
Do you remember the name of the manufacturer or where you bought the film?? thanks
No... but I got it at Home Depot in the section where there have shades and blinds. It came in a long skinny box (like a fluorescent bulb comes in) and it wasn't expensive.
BTW, Knowledgebldr is right about the insulated windows. Chances are yours aren't insulated (1978 house) but check it before you do anything to them.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
No... but I got it at Home Depot in the section where there have shades and blinds. It came in a long skinny box (like a fluorescent bulb comes in) and it wasn't expensive.
BTW, Knowledgebldr is right about the insulated windows. Chances are yours aren't insulated (1978 house) but check it before you do anything to them.
Thanks for the tip. The windows were insulated but the ones I;m thinking of covering up actually lost their seal and are fogged up between the panes. Not fogged enough to help with privacy (windows are next to the garden tub). This will probably be a temporary fix until we get around to replacing the windows after fixing the more immediate needs of this home. I'll check out home depot once the house purchase actually goes through.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,212,789 times
Ugh, I wouldn't put any sort of film on the windows! Why don't you try a nice glass etching product instead? No films to apply or maintain and it will give you the privacy you need.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Ugh, I wouldn't put any sort of film on the windows! Why don't you try a nice glass etching product instead? No films to apply or maintain and it will give you the privacy you need.
Because its a temporary fix and the windows will need to be replaced soon ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating