Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
We just painted our cabinets black and love them!

OMG These are gorgeous!!!!Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
Bessemer & N-Meets-S, Did you brush paint your cabinets, or spray? I'm thinking about painting my absolutely hideous pickled oak cabinets to black or coffee/choc brown. I assume these finishes are eggshell?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Bessemer & N-Meets-S, Did you brush paint your cabinets, or spray? I'm thinking about painting my absolutely hideous pickled oak cabinets to black or coffee/choc brown. I assume these finishes are eggshell?
I used a 6" foam roller, and a brush to get into the crevises. I can't speak for Bessemer, but mine is a satin or eggshell finish.
Another idea is to use black or espresso as an accent, and a lighter color on most of the cabinets. I did a renovation where I painted the cabinets taupe with black crown molding, a black island, and black hardware. it looked outstanding, but i sold it before I owned a digital camera so I can't show you that one.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Bessemer,
I am in the process of painting DD's room this weekend, red, and painting some of the furniture black. just noticed that your pitcher and one of the plates are the same pattern stuff that I am using in fabrics, etc..... isnt that a great pattern?
Love your kitchen! Makes me want to cook a meal, and have some good wine in there!
Thank you so much! We found the plates and such at Hobby Lobby and Home Goods. We want to find fabric to do curtain panels with in the same damask pattern but are having trouble finding it! Next we are doing white marble counter tops and white and black tile flooring.........followed by new stainless fridge, dishwasher and midrowave. Eventually we are going to remove the cabinets right over the stove and reveal the brick chimney that has been sheetrocked over. The stove sits in front of where the fireplace is!

Here are more pix of our plates!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
We brushed ours with satin pre - mixed Benjamin Moore black! First we had to strip all the white laminate and sand all the glue off the wood.......fun!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
Thank you so much! We found the plates and such at Hobby Lobby and Home Goods. We want to find fabric to do curtain panels with in the same damask pattern but are having trouble finding it! Next we are doing white marble counter tops and white and black tile flooring.........followed by new stainless fridge, dishwasher and midrowave. Eventually we are going to remove the cabinets right over the stove and reveal the brick chimney that has been sheetrocked over. The stove sits in front of where the fireplace is!

Here are more pix of our plates!

Waverly makes the perfect fabric, its called "Essence" and the color is onyx, better hurry to get it, I heard they were going to discontinue it. I bought the same fabric to go in DD's room, it looks wonderful, and have the same Hobby Lobby cups that go with your plates. I hope to be done with the room tomorrow, will post pix in the red room thread if I get done.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
If your future plans are definite- I'd just stick with what you got. If you know its all going to come out- why spend any money?
Besides, what you'd spend now will put you just that much more ahead.

As far as color goes- the only "black" cabinet I ever liked was actually just the carcass (face framed boxes)- doors and drawer fronts were zebra wood.
It all had a very high gloss finish.
European hinges and the hardware was brushed nickel.
(it was on a 65' motor yacht)

Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,818 times
Those pics were Beautiful!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents. If you paint the cabinets make sure you use a very high qaulity primer. Zinsser is my favorite. I have painted a lot of wood, and found that when I used zinser it was easier to conceal, less coats, and lasted longer(no issues with chipping and peeling)

Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
I went through multiple proposals and salespeople for refacing and new cabinets. Eventually I chose new cabinets at a discount of $10,000 from the costs proposed for refacing. They talk about their "high quality product" but i was able to get many premiums (roll-outs, super susans, cutlery tray) that included a tall pantry cabinet and a premium granite for the price I paid! I agree, of course, that painting is a terrific option for short-term, especially if you have someone that can spray them for you.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
I thinkblack is absolutely sleek in all the magazine pictures. BUT I also think it is a bit impractical. Those sticky little fingerprints will show up on it pretty quickly, a teeny scratch will look massive and, unless you have some seriously good lighting you could end up with a dreary looking kitchen. I think the upper cabinets will look terrific but the lower ones will need some wiping down of the fronts to stay spiffy. If you don't mind doing all that they should look great. And you could always touch up the scratches with a permanent marker
As to ugly floors, I've got the mother of ugly floors in our current rental and have huge bathrugs from our last house (won't fit in this home's bathrooms) in the kitchen. The rubber backing holds them in place nicely and when they get messy (as kitchens do) I toss them in the washing machine. Congratulations on the new house and enjoy those toddlers!
I agree here. Black also make a room look smaller. Any dark colour does. Personally I love black but just not as a household colour. Just my own 2c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating